Sign in to follow this  
Lorca

Arma 2 ballistics

I was wondering how realistic is Arma 2/OA ballistics in comparison to Battlefield, CoD. I haven't played those games but I heard somebody say that BF has better ballistics than Arma.

Look at this dude talking about Arma. See the latest comments, his name is @MINICLIPGAMER.

Edited by Lorca

BF and CoD have no ballistics. They use hitscan - e.g. you put a crosshair over something, push LMB and game engine checks out what was under the crosshair when you pressed LMB and "hits" it.

Obviously stuff like bullet ricochet and bullet travel with an arc from a barrel is out of the question (and ArmA has that. In CoD and BF - crosshairs shoot, in ArmA - weapons shoot)

Edited by metalcraze

ArmA has something like a 90% agreement with ballistic flight trajectories in real life for small arms. Unless CoD does better than that, I think that person is full of shit.

Edited by Max Power

I heard somebody say that BF has better ballistics than Arma.
I suspect they meant that Arma shoots weird and doesn't get good kills enough but BF does .. so that's better :)

Best thing to see is Arma/2 is a kind of child of VBS2 which is a battle space made for military, BF is a game, Arma is a simulator that can be played as treated like a game if you want, so it would be almost madness to think BF would have better ballistics over a simulator (of military and weapons), and that would mean BIS were doing something ever so badly wrong :)

ArmA has something like a 90% agreement with ballistic flight trajectories in real life for small arms. Unless CoD does better than that, I think what that person is full of shit.

I know that guy is full of crap. He's BF fanboy I believe. Look at this YouTube vid comments. See the newest comments and you'll get the idea. His name is @MINICLIPGAMER.

Edited by Lorca

I was wondering how realistic is Arma 2/OA ballistics in comparison to Battlefield, CoD. I haven't played those games but I heard somebody say that BF has better ballistics than Arma.

BF has bullet drop, and that's it. I very much doubt that it is realistic bullet drop, rather than simple linear gravity tailored to the size of the small maps.

Arma ballistics have the folllowing:

-Bullets are fired from the chamber of the gun, not the barrel, the sightline, or the crosshair as is usual in FPS.

-Bullets can ricochet with a variety of speeds and angles

-The speed and direction of bullets is affected by object penetration

-Sights and scopes have correct zeroing, meaning that the bullet is lobbed upwards in a parabolic arc, rising up the the line of sight (typically) at 50 meters, and traveling above it until it 'falls' into' the sight line at 300 meters. This is the most important aspect that affects your shooting performance, and it is why your uber leet FPS players are missing perfect headshots at 200 meters.

I have never heard of any commercial game with the following features, but i may be wrong. Most of the time these features are only found in ultra-realistic mods for counter strike, quake and PC games like that.

Hi all

As others have said the Real Virtuality (RV) series BIS's OFP, ArmA and ArmA II VBS I and VBS II are just about the only FPS simulations that models ballistics. This was one of the major reasons that the RV engine has became defacto military simulator across all of NATO. The fact it is now used for training marksmanship, should give you some idea of the quality of ballistic simulation the RV engine is capable of.

You can find out more about Balistics in ArmA II here.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_Hints_and_Tips#Learning_to_shoot.21

Including links to ArmA range tables and aspects of ballistics that ArmA models.

This section of Dslyecxi's Tactics Techniques and Procedures (TTP) is also worth reading, it is considered to be the bible of FPS play.

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/basic_rifleman.html

Kind Regards walker

Oh yes, BF is definitely more realistic than ARMA:

YnTfrUdKXvQ

;););)

I've seen BF simulate bullet drop but not much more than that.

If it wasn't for the graphics I'd say this video is UT99. Even the "headshot", "multi-kill" and "killing-spree" sound extremely similar.

BC2 ballistcs are bullshit. Sniper bullets are WAY more slow and have a HUGE bullet drop, while others rifles (M16, AN94, M14...) have them too, but much less. Its just idiotic.

And what makes me very pissed of is the VSS. A tiny 9mm bulet have the same ballistics as a .50 and the same damage as others semi-auto rifles.

Watching that BFBC2 video is so boring.

You have all EXPLOSHUNZ!!! and MUZZLEFLASHEZ!!! all the time and yet it's so dull like dude is playing some hollywoodish shooting range.

The funny part is that supposed to show off his skills. Yeah right - now try to actually do the same in the game with realistic weapons and 1 life and then I'll say you have "mad skillz"

BC2 ballistcs are bullshit. Sniper bullets are WAY more slow and have a HUGE bullet drop, while others rifles (M16, AN94, M14...) have them too, but much less. Its just idiotic.

And what makes me very pissed of is the VSS. A tiny 9mm bulet have the same ballistics as a .50 and the same damage as others semi-auto rifles.

I'm not sure why you think the bullet is tiny. It's actually huge. It fires a 17 gram 9mm projectile that's 7.62x39mm assault rifle cartidge necked up to 9mm. The armour piercing type can penetrate 8mm of steel at 100 meters, or 30 layers of kevlar at 200.

A 5.56x45mm round is around 4 grams.

A 9mm parabellum is around 8 grams.

A 7.62x39mm round is around 8 grams.

A 7.62x51mm round is around 11 grams.

A 7.62x54mm round is around 11 or 12 grams.

A 9x39mm round is around 17 grams.

As you can see, the 9mm bullet is not only bigger in diameter than the assault rifle rounds, but it is also much heavier.

The ballistics shouldn't be the same as the much faster and heavier .50bmg round, but it should do its fair share of damage.

THIS!

Their Sniper rifles have MORE drop than ASSAULT RIFLES. You wont see BF fans point this out though, no, BF has "realistic ballistic simulation"...

Said it many times before and will say it again - BF2 and COD look very realistic to those who have no clue what is actually realistic and what is only there to make it look realistic. That's probably a non-negligible contribution to their huge success.

If it wasn't for the graphics I'd say this video is UT99. Even the "headshot", "multi-kill" and "killing-spree" sound extremely similar.

Those are added in by the video maker. :P

Actually, the only time you'll ever see bullet drop is while using a 'sniper' scope. Even using the 4x zoom scopes will negates the bullet drop all together.

And since that's true, no other gun in the game suffers from bullet drop aside from the long range rifles in their default attachment state. In BC2 I've routinely used pistols and shotguns to great effect at 500m+. The bullet goes exactly where your iron sights or red dot point to. And it gets there instantly. Aside from long range scoped rifles, there's no bullet speed (aside from ping).

In BC2 every long range rifle scope is zero'd at 0 meters, and starts it's arch directly from the crosshair (note: not the chamber, or even the end of the barrel). At 500m, your at 3 'mil-dots' holdover on the M25 scope. (And I say that in the most sarcastic way possible) And all long range rifles have identical bullet drop, no matter the round, aside from the M95, which has slightly less.

Battlefield's ballistics are only slightly more realistic than 'not at all', and only if you happen to be holding a scoped rifle, at that.

I would actually call it worse than "not at all", considering it lets you snipe better with a pistol.

I'm not sure why you think the bullet is tiny. It's actually huge. It fires a 17 gram 9mm projectile that's 7.62x39mm assault rifle cartidge necked up to 9mm. The armour piercing type can penetrate 8mm of steel at 100 meters, or 30 layers of kevlar at 200.

Are we talking about subsonic speeds here?

I can't believe this thread was spawned from a YouTube comment, let alone a YouTube comment that was actually taken seriously. :butbut:

Those are added in by the video maker. :P

lol! At least this means the video creator agrees with me that this game is like UT99 :)

I'm a fan of battlefield but also Arma.

In Arma you have realistic ballistics and ranges, as others have said here already battlefield has bullet drop but nothing else, it's also interesting to find that in BFBC2 there is no or at-least very little bullet drop on the pistol and shot gun, you can snipe with a shot gun (slugs) and pistol in battlefield better than some sniper rifles.

It disgusts me.

Are we talking about subsonic speeds here?

Yes indeed. The maximum effective range of those things is only about 400m IIRC.

I can't believe this thread was spawned from a YouTube comment, let alone a YouTube comment that was actually taken seriously. :butbut:

Yeah, I don't know anything about Battlefield and CoD details in-game like ballistics and whatnot so that's why I decided to ask somebody who has played those games. I know the Arma community is, for the most part, a mature squad and I know they will tell me without fanboyism in a constructive manner whether that is true or half true about ballistics in those games. Now I know.

I know they will tell me without fanboyism in a constructive manner whether that is true or half true about ballistics in those games. Now I know.

Without fanboyism? I wouldn't go that far. :p

Ours is a fact-based fanboyism, however.

Without fanboyism?

Ours is a fact-based fanboyism, however.

Yes, that sounds about right. What I like about the Arma community is that many know their stuff. Their caliber, how far the bullets could go, whether the heli has too many missiles then it should carry, or the controls should be in the right or left. While the BF and CoD people always give me an impression that they don't care about these things despite proclaiming that their game is more realistic. Domination with consistent head shots mastery is what seems to be their admiration.