Sign in to follow this  
jeza

West-Kent Map UK WIP

Always happy to see another European terrain. Looks very promissing, if I just could have one suggestion - try rotating some of the trees and hedgerow bushes (screens 2,5,7) for a more lifelike feel maybe?

Oterwise great and really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the kind words all

@topas

Sizes and shapes of bushes will vary ect, but as for the part you refer to im using an exact copy of a actual picture and thats as close as it gets, however if the feel does become an issue i'll change.

Small update, they'll be some uk road signs, brick pillboxes from WWII era which are still left over around here. Went out and took some so you guys can get an idea of what to expect (http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/JezaRCB/4ee7f427.jpg). Will be a pond or two as well, also british Architecture.

Right no more work tonight going to watch my Arsenal throw away their 3-0 lead at halftime and break my heart! .

Cheers Jeza

Map's looking good fella, can't wait to see it with some proper green English foliage! I've just started work on a Western Europe map myself, mine's the other side of London though, and I've only just finished my Sat image tonight so I'm a waaaay off release lol, I'm sure

interested in how your planning to tackle your map's theme, the mail boxes etc that others have been talking about - my map is a built up urban area and I'm starting to worry about getting the English feel across without too much resource hogging detail and objects :/

One question / thought btw, is your terrain all finished now? Just looks a little flat to me - for good game play I'd suggest you break up the map a little more, doesn't really matter how but you normally need some sort of cover, whether it's buildings and walls, vegetation, elevation variation etc. Large open areas with no cover or variation don't lend themselves well to varied game play. Having said that, it DOES look good for vehicle and armor use :).

Anyways, Good Luck!

DC

Map's looking good fella, can't wait to see it with some proper green English foliage! I've just started work on a Western Europe map myself, mine's the other side of London though, and I've only just finished my Sat image tonight so I'm a waaaay off release lol, I'm sure

interested in how your planning to tackle your map's theme, the mail boxes etc that others have been talking about - my map is a built up urban area and I'm starting to worry about getting the English feel across without too much resource hogging detail and objects :/

One question / thought btw, is your terrain all finished now? Just looks a little flat to me - for good game play I'd suggest you break up the map a little more, doesn't really matter how but you normally need some sort of cover, whether it's buildings and walls, vegetation, elevation variation etc. Large open areas with no cover or variation don't lend themselves well to varied game play. Having said that, it DOES look good for vehicle and armor use :).

Anyways, Good Luck!

DC

British sir, we're all in it together remember ;). I was hoping someone was working on a British territory.

Jez, you definitely rang some bells there. Great work so far. I always thought someone would go for the Isle of Wight seeing as it's an island. But Kent is one of the nicest part of the UK ("England!" shat up) and I imagine there's plenty of flat terrain there? Should one want to encourage tank battles or random strolls with the local women from Strood. I think someone's made British road signs if you want to use them!

All the best to you Jez.

One question / thought btw, is your terrain all finished now? Just looks a little flat to me ....

If I remember right large parts of the South East are pretty flat..

This is -AMAZING-. Well, I'm from Essex, so my invading army on this map will always be from the North!

Is it too far West to be able to reenact the War and Peace show at Tunbridge Wells?

The roads are real nice too. Loving the double yellow lines, phoar.

Someone will have to retexture the ol' bus as a First company bus...

I can never see the words "West Kent" without thinking of Nicky Campbell's classic spoonerism live on BBC radio...

:butbut:

I confirm, Kent is quite flat!

Yep, I can also confirm this.

Cannot wait to operate on this map, good work!

Edited by Itsonlyaname

Thanks for the words above, sorry did not reply earlier!

@DC39, cheers, will have signs and english Architectural structures along the line, read below, also some pill boxes (hopfully) from the area I live in.

@the rest of you mukers, many thanks!

Update

Hello all, update for you all, have not been able to commit enough time on the map as I would have like'd, ideally I would have like to had it out the door since the last update, but have been busy with other such things you all know how it is, so apologies there. I thought I would post some screens after today small session, by now you should get the idea of what to expect, lots of english countryside, Uk buildings are in the pipes, no eta on them, so may release a placeholder with just UK roads and update at a later point. Anyway don't want to take up to much of your time, so here are the screens:

1They'll be few houses out in the sticks along with some ponds, found in deeper forrest area's:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-44-48-37.jpg

2A Council estate area:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-46-42-90.jpg

arma2oa2012-04-2621-47-26-12.jpg

arma2oa2012-04-2621-49-29-11.jpg

3Farming complex within the village of bidborough:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-52-44-13.jpg

4Forrest backdrop from the farm:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-55-29-48.jpg

5Couple more screens from the far end of bidborough:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-58-56-13.jpg

arma2oa2012-04-2621-52-32-97.jpg

HD links - 15+ Screens

Once i'm happy with placements ect, they'll be a lot more detail and clutter added. Thanks for taking the time to view.

Kind Regards Jeza

Edited by Jeza
Replying to older posts

Nice work Jez, I'll be keeping my eye ;) on this one.

If you need any custom models give me a shout.

Looking good mate !! ... cant wait to bez about on it . any chance of getting some top down pictures of the terrain?

Nice work Jez, I'll be keeping my eye ;) on this one.

If you need any custom models give me a shout.

Cheers dude! And i'll let you know mate!

Looking good mate !! ... cant wait to bez about on it . any chance of getting some top down pictures of the terrain?

Yeah I can rattle something up today, still not 100% happy with the mask, so may change but if it looks good enough i'll stick with it. Cheers.

Good to see you still slaving away on this, Jeza. Best of luck getting it complete. :)

Good to see you still slaving away on this, Jeza. Best of luck getting it complete. :)

Cheers mate, wish i was slaving away at it though, would be much farther along :D .

Some more Wips, put in the gas works down south :rolleyes: , its not completed, they'll be much more than in these screens, more buildings and road networks in it, also some early wips on a council area here.

arma2oa2012-05-0401-07-09-22.jpg

arma2oa2012-05-0401-08-33-10.jpg

arma2oa2012-05-0401-15-53-20.jpg

arma2oa2012-05-0401-18-45-74.jpg

arma2oa2012-05-0401-22-37-75.jpg

arma2oa2012-05-0401-24-25-96.jpg

HQ versions:

Looks great except that some of the hedgerows and tree-lined roads appear a little too straight. I know there are Roman roads in Kent but still...

Also, the Russian Orthodox church looks somewhat out of place. Maybe you could "borrow" a Norman church from the i44 mod.

Personally I can't wait for this, I can just imagine an alternative reality mission where Operation Sealion actually succeeded and you can fight in the desperate campaign of Home Guard against advancing Wehrmacht forces, sprinkled with Fallschirmjäger.

Looks great except that some of the hedgerows and tree-lined roads appear a little too straight. I know there are Roman roads in Kent but still...

Also, the Russian Orthodox church looks somewhat out of place. Maybe you could "borrow" a Norman church from the i44 mod.

Personally I can't wait for this, I can just imagine an alternative reality mission where Operation Sealion actually succeeded and you can fight in the desperate campaign of Home Guard against advancing Wehrmacht forces, sprinkled with Fallschirmjäger.

Thanks for the reply

The church of course is a placeholder, some of the custom stuff coming in on the map is backed up as the authors of them are currently very busy, So I may need to delve into the MBG buildings i believe its called. hedge rows need a tweaking as there not all looking as they should as well, few decisions to be made for sure, thanks for pointing it out anyhow.

Regards Jeza

Any progress on this project lately? Or is it a cancelled job?

It'd be sad if this never got released. We need a UK map!

Bumping an old wip thread asking for an update is rather useless.

Since the author has not posted in so many months you can assume its either cancelled or on a long hold. If you really need to know PM an author instead of bumping old threads.

You are here long enough to know so infraction +1.

Here's your quarterly update :p . Not dead, just busy with pre-med and such, finally got around to it for the first time in months in the last few days, got rather far, Main roads are complete, as are most side roads, will probably change the clutter at some-point also.

Featured below is the now complete farming and fields area, a large area with hay-bails, because you know.......its a farmers field. Also featured is, the downtown...town i guess you can call it residential area with flats, shops, recreational area and more semi-detached houses (with sheds!) Also we have country lanes featured below with public footpaths throughout most of the forests which actually lead somewhere! Aside from the roads Uk architecture to follow, however maybe initial release without idk yet.

Also thanks to bushlurker for the tips

regards Jeza

arma2oa2013-02-1120-55-58-89_zpseea656ee.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1121-00-04-89_zps1d56f40b.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1120-56-24-00_zpsa6702b03.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1120-23-49-66_zps40ca63bb.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1120-31-41-14_zpsfb46a815.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1120-33-38-65_zps1f0a5e00.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1120-49-21-57_zpsbb8e9baa.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1120-50-58-14_zps0ed8957b.jpg

arma2oa2013-02-1120-52-01-42_zps8920be2e.jpg

Edited by Jeza
credit

Maybe reduce the amount of blue on the sat map? The grass looks somewhat alien. Love the atmosphere though!

Spent my early years living in Kent, so it brings back some memories. Got the feel of the open areas, the row of buildings there in the last pic, don’t seem to fit in. I know its hard with UK buildings, not that many which suit.

The update pics are great, thanks.

A great looking terrain and work.

I will be looking forward to this.:).

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/JezaRCB/arma2oa2013-02-1120-31-41-14_zpsfb46a815.jpg

He's driving on the wrong side of the road!!

But seriosuly, any way to address the issue and have UK traffic in ArmAII?

(just curious, as I have never looked into this kind of issues)

No, he’s overtaking an invisible car..:p

The driving issue with UK, will just have to be left to the imagination, in-game..

There is a mod with UK road markings, but I don’t think driving on the right has been implemented, not likely to either, it’s a shame..:(

Maybe reduce the amount of blue on the sat map? The grass looks somewhat alien. Love the atmosphere though!

Many thanks, and yeah tweaks to clutter/grass, possibly a re-jig of the sat-map will follow, however just going to stick with placing for the mo then do that stuff so I can see what looks best with everything on.

Spent my early years living in Kent, so it brings back some memories. Got the feel of the open areas, the row of buildings there in the last pic, don’t seem to fit in. I know its hard with UK buildings, not that many which suit.

The update pics are great, thanks.

A great looking terrain and work.

I will be looking forward to this.:).

Hey mate, thanks for the comment, Yeah the open areas are turning out good especially some hedge rows and farming areas (plus as they are open areas I dont have to place anything :D ). I see were your coming from for the buildings, in that screen, firstly, that area is part of the main 'town/largevillage' but that specific area is hardly touched so it'll blend in, as for the look of the buildings themselves, I've had a look at what available at the moment for UK architecture, and really as you mentioned not much, so either I'll release firstly with these as placeholders, more likely i'll have something else up my sleeve :) (Cough Cough Rabidus & maybe if he reappears Martin :p ) - Only if it coincides with their work.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/JezaRCB/arma2oa2013-02-1120-31-41-14_zpsfb46a815.jpg

He's driving on the wrong side of the road!!

But seriosuly, any way to address the issue and have UK traffic in ArmAII?

(just curious, as I have never looked into this kind of issues)

Ahhh got 3 posts in with someone noticing :D Yeah actually tried do such a thing with no joy, for the moment we'll have to be continental.

-

Thanks for comments and interest shown, will try get a chunk done over the week & weekend, tonight is however colonial marines night!

Edited by Jeza