Sign in to follow this  
jeza

West-Kent Map UK WIP

*map has been on hiatus since sep, its now march 2012 and im getting back into the swing of things.

Hi all

Here's my first attempt at a map. Its based in the area i live in kent in the southeast of england specifically West-Kent. The sat-image is from around the woodland area I live in, buildings will be placed as they are in real life, along with the tree's so its roughly to scale. Size 5x5.

The map will contain:

*One large Village

*3 to 4 settlements

*remote houses/farms

*Village gas station

*Lots of thick forest area's and hedge rows

These current pictures are very....very much a WIP as for the moment, I have not placed buildings or roads, however im pritty happy with the folidge and forrest density (which is very dense) may add a couple of extra bits over time. The map largely has become possible thanks to martin and his invaluable help.

Finaly it is my first attempt at any sort of addon so bare that in mind I am completly new to the area so as you can see below there's nothing special here but its a start. Any comments are helpful.

2012 Update

Update Screens Feb 2013 on latter pages

arma2oa2012-03-0323-44-08-37.jpg

arma2oa2012-03-0323-44-37-21.jpg

arma2oa2012-03-0323-44-57-22.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/JezaRCB/arma2oa2012-03-0323-47-26-94.jpg (124 kB)

1They'll be few houses out in the sticks along with some ponds, found in deeper forrest area's:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-44-48-37.jpg

2A Council estate area:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-46-42-90.jpg

arma2oa2012-04-2621-47-26-12.jpg

arma2oa2012-04-2621-49-29-11.jpg

3Farming complex within the village of bidborough:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-52-44-13.jpg

4Forrest backdrop from the farm:

arma2oa2012-04-2621-55-29-48.jpg

From this moment I need to do towns/settlements and roads.

Well thank you for taking the time to look at the thread and hope look forward at least to some aspects of it.

Kind Regards Jeza

Edited by Jeza

Excellent - a bit of Blighty to play on! Went out with a girl from Strood a few years ago (probably longer than a few years now). Irrelevant, but you got me reminiscing!

Will this be the first mod of our fair Isle to be completed?

looks very nice indeed i can see this to become a very nice map. :)

about the roads, im having the same problems with roads and placed them all by hand have to do a shit load more.

just place them untill u get bored and go on with the buildings and scenery.

Nice idea, lots of interesting scenarios such as what if the British Isles was invaded in WW2, Modern era, or even a 28 days later scenario :)

Look pretty nice Jeza,

Will you also be make some custom UK houses for this island?

about the roads, im having the same problems with roads and placed them all by hand have to do a shit load more.

I'm thinking of doing a British island after Taviana myself, the only problem that I face are roads because in the UK they drive on the other side and AI doesn't know how to :sad:

I'm thinking of doing a British island after Taviana myself, the only problem that I face are roads because in the UK they drive on the other side and AI doesn't know how to :sad:

you mean we drive on the correct side of the road :). Im sure there must be away to script the ai to drive on the correct side.

you mean we drive on the correct side of the road :). Im sure there must be away to script the ai to drive on the correct side.

I hope so, anyway I'm going to make a few British roads for Jeza quickly, maybe it will inspire him to make a bigger island :wink_o:

Besides, Eastern European roads would look silly on a British map.

Very happy to see this - Western Europe is what we all need for a change ;)

(contemporary depiction that is, I don't count the WW2 maps)

*One large Village

*3 to 4 settlements

*remote houses/farms

*Village gas station

Is there any chance for custom architecture here? Or objects that would let us undoubtfuly see that we're in UK? (Royal Mail boxes, telephone boots, traffic signs)?

Fingers crossed, hope you enjoys this new field of activity Jeza :)

Looking good Jeza! ....... much better from the first WIP's

ref what topas said , i have some bits you are more than welcome too ( road signs being 1 of them )

Nice !

I can imagine a mod with an invading Sussex army !

cj

what bit of kent you basing it on? Cos im just the other side of the border in Surrey. Would be cool being in places I know

Excellent - a bit of Blighty to play on! Went out with a girl from Strood a few years ago (probably longer than a few years now). Irrelevant, but you got me reminiscing!

Will this be the first mod of our fair Isle to be completed?

Cheers, well depends rabidus and myself are on ts every day working on our islands, he's a step or two ahead of myself, but we'll see im sure they'll be a similar'ish release date.

looks very nice indeed i can see this to become a very nice map. :)

Thanks. By hand I presume you did it manually in visitor? I was under the impression that may take weeks?

I hope so, anyway I'm going to make a few British roads for Jeza quickly, maybe it will inspire him to make a bigger island :wink_o:

Besides, Eastern European roads would look silly on a British map.

Woah, well if possible would be very nice, i think i might look at the buildings next so if you do, gives yourself a better time frame. Thanks

Look pretty nice Jeza,

Will you also be make some custom UK houses for this island?

Hi and thanks. As for the brit buildings Rabidus may send some my way on ts today hint hint chris!

Finally thanks all for the kind words and encouragement, helps me kick on.

Regards Jeza

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

(contemporary depiction that is, I don't count the WW2 maps)

Is there any chance for custom architecture here? Or objects that would let us undoubtfuly see that we're in UK? (Royal Mail boxes, telephone boots, traffic signs)?

Fingers crossed, hope you enjoys this new field of activity Jeza :)

Thanks mate. Yeah looking like custom buildings and signs will be the way to go now.

what bit of kent you basing it on? Cos im just the other side of the border in Surrey. Would be cool being in places I know

Tunbridge Wells specifically :)

Tunbridge Wells specifically :)

Have googled and looked it up. Seems to be a very nice piece of land. Looking forward to what you come up with.

You shouldn't have told us the location though... Now we will spam this thread with ideas, based on reference found - like here ... Just kidding ;-) PS: And this looks almost fairy-tale-like...Marvelous

(Royal Mail boxes, telephone boots, traffic signs)?

Road signs yes uk road signs. Royal mail box....maybe maybe.

Have googled and looked it up. Seems to be a very nice piece of land. Looking forward to what you come up with.

You shouldn't have told us the location though... Now we will spam this thread with ideas, based on reference found - like here ... Just kidding ;-) PS: And this looks almost fairy-tale-like...Marvelous

Yeah its a nice place to live, that is until the weekend when im smashed walking back from the club :D

As for the specific area, its bidbourough/southborough and speldhurst area, near that picture you found of penshurst place

Starting work this moment on roads, if i still cant get past this issue with road painter, il start on the buildings.

Regards Jeza

Starting work this moment on roads, if i still cant get past this issue with road painter, il start on the buildings.

You're using road painter to make roads on a 5x5km map? biggrin.gif I make them all by hand, even on Taviana.

Anyway, the roads are almost done, have a look (currently there are 34 models and 2 more will be added):

o0vncsufjhnwxmd44avb_thumb.jpg

I still have to make 2 models and test them out, so once BinPBO finishes (in 2 - 3 hours) hopefully I'll be able to pack them and send them to you.

You're using road painter to make roads on a 5x5km map? biggrin.gif I make them all by hand, even on Taviana.

Anyway, the roads are almost done, have a look (currently there are 34 models and 2 more will be added):

o0vncsufjhnwxmd44avb_thumb.jpg

I still have to make 2 models and test them out, so once BinPBO finishes (in 2 - 3 hours) hopefully I'll be able to pack them and send them to you.

Mate its a great bit of kit dont get me wrong, but these roads are a real pain in the ass, id just happy use for a couple of main roads, and maybe a dirt track, but i dont know any other way of going about it, would much like a simpler way of doing these, before i pull my hair out!! :mad: :D

Mate its a great bit of kit dont get me wrong, but these roads are a real pain in the ass, id just happy use for a couple of main roads, and maybe a dirt track, but i dont know any other way of going about it, would much like a simpler way of doing these, before i pull my hair out!! :mad: :D

Roads are the simplest thing to make. Basically place a road object on the map in Visitor 3, in Bulldozer use your right mouse button to rotate it and move it with the arrows on your keyboard, then if you need to get more precise you can zoom in 100% in Visitor and move the object a bit with your mouse (You won't have to do that a lot tough).

You can’t select road objects in Bulldozer tough so you have to select them in Visitor and then go back to Bulldozer.

Since roads aren't full of turns everywhere just copy paste parts of them e.g. the straight sections.

It’s not the quickest way but much better than road painter, I'd say for a 5x5 km map you should have to roads done in 2 - 3 hours. All you need is patience :smile: (what I did in the screenshots took me about 2 minutes)

If you don’t use all the roads at least I’ll have them ready for my next island.

Edited by -Martin-

Sounds good, im from Redhill so it's really close. Know Edenbridge better than Tunbridge Wells and the surrounding areas, but in general it's some nice terrain, perfect for some good infantry ops.

Good luck with it

Well the roads work in game but I still have to tweak them a little bit and make 2 more models and then test everything again so expect a PM from me at night.

ehhkb7ylhc850souhuf_thumb.jpg

Well the roads work in game but I still have to tweak them a little bit and make 2 more models and then test everything again so expect a PM from me at night.

ehhkb7ylhc850souhuf_thumb.jpg

Ha brilliant martin, many thanks, il use these along with what i get done by the time the pm arrives. as i decided to do the way you came up with and it is alot easier, just need to work out how to curve the roads for corners getting correct road types to fit.

Edited by Jeza

Oh yeah! I can now drive on the left without being called a road-hog by the other Arma drivers! I have countless traffic offence tickets from Chernarus!

"Get out of my way, I'm English you fool!'

Oh yeah! I can now drive on the left without being called a road-hog by the other Arma drivers! I have countless traffic offence tickets from Chernarus!

"Get out of my way, I'm English you fool!'

What if you're driving on the wrong side and there is a T72 coming at you in the same lane? :biggrin: