Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

AI team unit stacking.... or something...

A couple of years ago I saw a demo vid from some guy on these forums who was working on a system where he could get AI to stack up against walls etc, with correct coverage per unit. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I've tried seaching it out but I cannot find it. Whatever happened to it, did it get eaten by VBS2? Did the developer just lose interest & drop it?

Anyway. Looked like a fine idea, and something that ArmA3 could certainly use.

The video used some simple (spheres, cubes..) 3D objects to "explain" what was going on?

If so, I remember it. I think it was dropped by the guy that was doing it.

A system like the one used on "Men of War" series would be cool.

The video used some simple (spheres, cubes..) 3D objects to "explain" what was going on?

...yeah, I think so. Been a while since I saw it but it looked pretty intuitive. Showed the potential cover arcs for each position etc.

If so, I remember it. I think it was dropped by the guy that was doing it.

I wonder if the existing code is available to be picked up...

Huh, I remember the video for that and it looked promising. I didn't remember the guy being a BI dev tho :confused:

I wish I could've seen the video...do any of you remember where you saw it?

Men of War does that by using memory points in a similar way they are used in ArmA2 right now (you see them when you order a unit into cover). The problem is that there are way too few of them near each wall. I think it would've been possible to do what you want even in AA2 if BIS just had much more cover memory points dedicated to each wall.

I wish I could've seen the video...do any of you remember where you saw it?

I think it was linked/embedded right here in these forums somewhere... trying to locate it on Youtube but I guess I'm not using the correct search words.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Ta-daaaah-

j5gwK4g78oQ

Good concept. Thanks for re-finding that video DMarkwick.

That video also displays another problem with the AI. They need to cover each other like you would do IRL. I am not going to explain exactly what they should do, but they should use the MOUT tactics in that type of an area. If there was an MG or a squad set up on the road perpendicular to the squad at the first position they set up at, when moving to the second position they would of been dead...

I remember seeing this when it first came out and was VERY impressed. Shame that it was never continued :(