Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Flight Dynamics Feedback From Real Helicopter Pilots

Author of the Thread
    I see your point, and how the tail rotor it does create the roll. But are you sure about your description of the direction? Does the tail rotor produce a roll around the main rotor hub? If so, wouldn't a tail rotor in a counterclockwise system produce a left roll if it were below the hub and a right roll if it were above the hub? A good example comes from using your description of the low g situation when the tail rotor is above the main rotor hub with the nose down pitch it creates a right roll. The most important question should be, do the developers need to try and implement this in the flight dynamics?

About the hover characteristics, I have a knew way of describing the dynamics. When the helicopter is in a hover, the center of gravity (CG) of the helicopter will hang directly below the main rotor hub. When you change the cyclic position, the main rotor disc will tilt in the desired direction, but the CG will want to hang directly below the main rotor hub. This creates a thrust in the desired direction without a lot of cabin roll. This description is mainly useful in the dynamics of small inputs during a hover.
    Last edited by RUBIX; Jul 27 2011 at 07:47.

Of course I am no expert, but I have read there can be a rolling tendency caused by the thrust of the tail rotor in relation to the centre of gravity of the aircraft.

Please use the CWR2 CBT to help us provide a better experience.

Author of the Thread
    You are right Max Power, the roll created by the tail is translated around the CG. I don't know what I was thinking in my last post.

On to a new topic. I am noticing that there is a lot of downwash created when the main rotor blades are at flat pitch and the helicopter is on the ground. Downwash is created when lift is being produced, this means that dust and grass shouldn't be pushed around while the helicopter is sitting on the ground with full down collective. I also saw another post where someone described downwash exsisting even when the main rotor was destroyed. I hope this can be corrected.
    Last edited by RUBIX; Jul 27 2011 at 23:50.

Good catch Max Power, I couldn't have put it better myself.

TailRotor

Totally agree on the NOTAR state and banking of the preview heli for now.

Other thing:
    Have a little fun guys, and set yourselves a Radio trigger with:

vehicle player setHitpointDamage ["HitVRotor",0.85]

to destroy 85% of the tail rotor in flight, and tell me what you think.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ocramweb View Post

Other thing:

I think I'm gonna be sick !
    Last edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-; Jul 29 2011 at 14:02.

Author of the Thread
    That was fun. I enjoyed attempting running landings without a tail rotor. In a hover, the helicopter torque was very noticeable and the right yaw felt correct; although I have not been in that situation myself. I did notice that the tail rotor had some effectiveness in forward flight....even when the damage was set to 1.0. I wonder what that damage rating actually means. If it means that the tail rotor is no longer turning (i.e. a tail rotor gearbox failure) then there should not be any response from pedal input.

Other thing:

You could use the script I made up for this to make things easier if you like.
    http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121850

The Dummehs guide to running Arma2 within a RamDrive or on multiple HDDs
    Spoiler:

Totally agree on the NOTAR state...
    What do you mean by this?

Author of the Thread
    I think he means, No Tail Rotor....Or Damaged Tail Rotor....I don't think he meant to refer to the NOTAR Tail rotor system used on the MD520N or similar.

@ocramweb
    NOTAR is a term used by Mcdonnell Douglas Helicopters to describe their anti-torque system http://www.mdhelicopters.com/v2/notar.php

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast