Sign in to follow this  
clawhammer

Win2k8 R2 ArmA2 OA Server Need long time to load map

Hello guys,

i have a strange problem with my ArmA2OA Testserver. With the ACE2 and FDF Mod its taking ages until the server loads the map. All Players are ready and wait 4 Minutes for the Server!

The ArmA2OA 1.59 Server runs on my Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Server in my Local Area Networ, so i belive he had enough Network Power.

He has an AMD X2 5200+ Dual Core CPU and 2GB DDR2 RAM.

Here is the server.cfg file:

//

// server.cfg

//

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "TestServer"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin = "xxx"; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server

//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers

//reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com"; // For Operation Arrowhead

logFile = "server_console.log"; // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[] = {

"", "", "",

"Welcome to the Testing",

"Server Settings: Veteran, Crosshair = off, 3rdPerson = off, MapInfo = off, VoN = off, CustomFiles = 200KByte, Voting = 33%, PersistentMaps = on",

"We are looking for fun - Join us Now !",

"http://www.mypage.org/",

"",

"You should use mumble, its better than",

"TS2 Server for recruits: mypage.org:8767"

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

checkfiles[] = {}; // Outdated.

maxPlayers = 64; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

kickDuplicate = 0; // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.

verifySignatures = 0; // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on

equalModRequired = 0; // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 1; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 0; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

onUserConnected = ""; // self-explaining

onUserDisconnected = "";

doubleIdDetected = "";

regularCheck = "";

// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

BattlEye = 0; //Server to use BattlEye system

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions {};

I tryed to run the Server on my local PC, here its much faster.

So i belive it has something to do with the configuration of the Win2k8R2 SP1 Server.

If i run the server without any mods, its faster. But with ace and FDF its taking very long :-(

Hope anyone can help me :-)

Edited by Clawhammer

AMD X2 5200+ Dual Core CPU and 2GB DDR2 RAM.

That's a very weak server.

Gotta remember that on the first mission load, the server needs to process everything before it handles the clients' loading in. Also if it has to pass the mission out, that'll slow it down even more.

Loading secound time is much faster, indeed. Intressting, last time i used the server everythink was much faster oO.

Will try this exThreads command now. Thanks

I think you need a faster drive for youre game.

I have used 15k disks in RAID0 and it cut down loading time a bit.

But have to use SSD to actually make a difference.

From what I have learned.

The server first sends out what mission and sends this to clients. prox 36kb.

Then it loads the mission into memory from internal disk(s), this is the first waiting time for all clients, then when thats done, it sends the rest of the mission to all clients.

This is the second big waiting time you get before entering the mission.

So if you have a faster disk on the server, the first waiting time will be shorter.

and if all players have the mission, it will not need to send the mission to clients.

Of course -exthreads and other tuning parametres do make a difference, it seems to me that the best tip is to get youreself a SSD.

I have not yet testet a SSD on a server, but will do a test next thursday I hope. Just need to get a SSD into my main server.

btw: It would be cool if some dev could confirm what I have experienced and tell me if I'm wrong. Or even better, explain what the Dedicated server does and in which order.

Edit:

Why do you have this?

kickDuplicate = 0;

verifySignatures = 0;

Even if its public, I think you should be using:

kickDuplicate = 1;

verifySignatures = 1;

Edited by NoBrainer

as for SSD concern.

It uses prox half the time loding the missions.

I don't get rid of all the waiting, but as I said. It don't take as long time now as before.