Sign in to follow this  
Archosaurusrev

Can't fly in a straight line (auto trim off.).

I did say get.

Your point? I don't want to buy a stick that I'm going to use for one game. My interest in PC air combat pretty much copped it with Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (wipes tear).

SP? You can setup SP difficulties to your hearts desire, like everything in regular and veteran being equal. Choose regular and set it up same as veteran.

Reeks of effort and doesn't solve the MP whinge I had. :D

But srsly, reading some of the other suggestions - making the X-C axis a bar like the Q-Z would probably go quite some way to making the keyboard method a bit more controllable. At the moment there's no way to tell how much or little rudder is being applied (which is usually 100% either way if you keep the button down for longer than half a second).

What are the apples and what are the oranges again? Ignoring the fact that the mouse and keyboard controls are very nearly perfect, you stated that you must use a joystick if you want realism. And you use that as an argument for BI to not implement a rudder control system that would solve the problem for mkb users.

I did no such thing. Now you are putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that my opinion is that you shouldn't be begging a "realistic" flying helicopter when you don't even have a joystick. Like I said in my first post: Helicopters are not flown with a keyboard and mouse, so trying to fly one with a keyboard and mouse is not very realistic. I did not complain about their tank controls for ArmA being "unrealistic" as I do not have real tank controls. I have actually driven a tank and I don't think they are modeled correctly in the game, however, I did not say BOO about it until now and only to make a point. Point being, if you are not going to bother with proper controls, don't ask for realism. You are cutting yourself short on the realism part by refusing to get a joystick.

Now, do I feel BI should implement some sort of anti-torque function to make it easier for keyboard users? Sure! I have no problems with that. Just keep in mind, whatever they come up with will not be "realistic". Realism to me is having pedals, a cyclic and a collective in my hands. Even a joystick falls somewhat short in that category. It's all relative, but the farther away from real controls you get, the less realistic. Does that make ANY sense to you?

I did no such thing. Now you are putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that my opinion is that you shouldn't be begging a "realistic" flying helicopter when you don't even have a joystick. Like I said in my first post: Helicopters are not flown with a keyboard and mouse, so trying to fly one with a keyboard and mouse is not very realistic. I did not complain about their tank controls for ArmA being "unrealistic" as I do not have real tank controls. I have actually driven a tank and I don't think they are modeled correctly in the game, however, I did not say BOO about it until now and only to make a point. Point being, if you are not going to bother with proper controls, don't ask for realism. You are cutting yourself short on the realism part by refusing to get a joystick.

Now, do I feel BI should implement some sort of anti-torque function to make it easier for keyboard users? Sure! I have no problems with that. Just keep in mind, whatever they come up with will not be "realistic". Realism to me is having pedals, a cyclic and a collective in my hands. Even a joystick falls somewhat short in that category. It's all relative, but the farther away from real controls you get, the less realistic. Does that make ANY sense to you?

No, it doesn't make sense. The helicopter abides by exactly the same rules whether you use a mouse or a joystick. The only way it gets less realistic is by BI downgrading the flight model to accommodate non-joystick control. Obviously that's not needed if an alternative way of rudder control for keyboard is implemented. Because the devs have made the controls already excellent as is, my eyebrow raises when somebody tells me that I am required to use a joystick if I am to play the game or expect any kind of realism from it, especially when the devs are still learning from feedback and adding requested features.

No, it doesn't make sense. The helicopter abides by exactly the same rules whether you use a mouse or a joystick. The only way it gets less realistic is by BI downgrading the flight model to accommodate non-joystick control. Obviously that's not needed if an alternative way of rudder control for keyboard is implemented. Because the devs have made the controls already excellent as is, my eyebrow raises when somebody tells me that I am required to use a joystick if I am to play the game or expect any kind of realism from it, especially when the devs are still learning from feedback and adding requested features.

OK. I see your point. As smart as I would like to think I am, I can be dense sometimes. I get what you are saying. I was skimming the thread and my mind was filling in the blanks. After reading some of the posts a little more carefully I realized that you were not complaining about it being too difficult to control with a keyboard, but merely wanting a more fluid rudder control function FOR a keyboard. I apologize.

I might add at this point that I can fly the thing almost sensibly while doing the trim by hand - it's hovering and landing that causes me grief.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how BIS can make the flight model realistic and still be able to control it properly with Keys and mouse :headscratch:

The main problem with keys is you NEED analogue rudder control.

The only way to do it is to use some form of auto-trim which is fine by me as long as its an option.

I fail to see how adding keyboard helicopter control flexibility sacrifices realism for joystick users.

Please, people. Its hard to have a meaningful discussion when we keep saying the same things over and over.

How about compromise: get yourself a gamepad.;)

It's good for controlling any vehicle. And it's cheap.

I am flying preview now with logitech rumblepad2 and I have absolutely no problems with control. Even in hover.

I would do that, if the cheapest gamepads/sticks werent 60 - 200 euros. (Around here.)

I can survive for some months without good flying equipment, some people can't even afford those.

It all sounds very reasonable, but I can not imagine that any pilot is constantly pushing the flight stick to the left, because of the effects from the tailrotor.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

It all sounds very reasonable, but I can not imagine that any pilot is constantly pushing the flight stick to the left, because of the effects from the tailrotor.

I have to push my flightstick more than half of the way to the left, in order to keep my bird steady. That can't be that normal. I understand small inputs, but hanging at the flightstick doesn't seem that usual.

And pushing the pedal all the way down to prevent yaw, caused by torque?

The other thing is, that when I try to get in hover-mode with the hover-mode function, my own trimming causes the bird to drift in the direction I trimmed it before, so every time I have to release my trim and re-trim when I exit hover-mode and keep flying.

It feels like the axis are twisted and I can't imagine that this is the real behavour of a helicopter, even when the game is very realistic, and even when the tailrotor cause rolling.