Sign in to follow this  
walker

Murdoch throws News of the World under a bus to protect the mangement.

[troll]Fox news is the propaganda arm of the Republican/Tea/hate party in America.[/troll]

Did I win?

It is not about money, but possible illegal activities. Just because someone has money and power doesn't mean they are above the law.

It's about money and power.

When poor people are suspected of breaking the law, they don't have to appear on TV and explain themselves to the nation. They don't get summoned to Parliament and have custard pies rubbed in their faces in front of the entire world.

They get due process.

Media barons on the otherhand, get witch hunted by all their enemies their entire lives until eventually, one day, they find a crime they can stick to them.... and they die in prison, old an alone.

Edited by Baff1

The chief of police didn't resign becuase of that. The chief of police resigned because he had been talking free holidays worth £15,000 at a resort owned by an ex News of The World employee.

The deputy chief of police is the one who had to resign because he hadn't done the pob properly.

And is it too much to think that the free holidays by the Chief probably had something to do with running a poor investigation?

It's about money and power.

When poor people are suspected of breaking the law, they don't have to appear on TV and explain themselves to the world.

They get due process.

The reason why Murdochs appeared on TV and parliament is because the gravity of the situation. With something as big as this, you can bet anyone will end up on TV. Just look at Casey Anthony's case. She doesn't have power of Murdoch but there were cameras following every moment of the trial.

Furthermore, what BF2-Trooper suggested was economical repurcussion on Fox network instead of one's wealth being the conduit for more attention.

Media barons on the otherhand, get witch hunted by all their enemies their entire lives until eventually, one day, they find a crime they can stick to them.... and they die in prison, old an alone.

From page 2

They are out to get Murdoch. They are quite happy to destroy the lives of anyone that gets between him and them.

I like to see people stand up to them.

I wish him all the best.

Who cares if some pretentious lefty twat wants him off the board of his own company. All the more reason to want him to stay. Give the man a medal for having all the right enemies any decent person should have.

I hope you are not complaining about treatment Murdoch is getting. Murdoch made all the right enemies and this might be the crime(if it is) that will land him in jail.

Edited by RalphWiggum

And is it too much to think that the free holidays by the Chief probably had something to do with running a poor investigation?

The reason why Murdochs appeared on TV and parliament is because the gravity of the situation. With something as big as this, you can bet anyone will end up on TV. Just look at Casey Anthony's case. She doesn't have power of Murdoch but there were cameras following every moment of the trial.

Furthermore, what BF2-Trooper suggested was economical repurcussion on Fox network instead of one's wealth being the conduit for more attention.

From page 2

I hope you are not complaining about treatment Murdoch is getting. Murdoch made all the right enemies and this might be the crime(if it is) that will land him in jail.

The police chief who resigned was not police chief until this year. The iphone hacking nvestigation was concluded in 2006.

Neither was he involved in that investigation, it was led by the deputy police chief. Yates of the Yard.

The difference between Casey and Murdoch, is that Casey is accused of something criminal and Murdoch isn't.

Casey doesn't have a load of people so powerful out to get her, that even when she is not involved in a crime, they put her on a quasi legal show trial and try to trap her into admitting complicity.

In America, all the lefties hate Fox News.

In the U.K. all the lefties hate that Murdoch broke the Unions.

All over the world he has poltiicans whom his newspapers have embarrassed, expossed or failed to support.

He has a lot more enemies than just those people who blindly hate the rich.

If Murdoch is suspect of commiting a crime then he deserves due process just as you or I do.

That is not what he is getting.

What he is getting is a load of people who hate tabloids or Fox News using the events at his newspaper as a vehicle to further their own agendas.

They don't want justice, they want to see him broken and humiliated. That is all.

(Oh and they want the Tory PM, to get done to for hiring some bloke that the due process of law found to be innocent already).

Cases like this are too high profile. Justice is unlikely to be served.

Edited by Baff1

The police chief was not police chief until this year. The investigation took place in 2003.

Neither was he involved in that investigation, it was led by the deputy police chief.

What surprised me was how fast he resigned. I know that this is the biggest stoy in UK right now, but his resignation is something I'm quite surprised of.

The difference between Casey and Murdoch, is that Casey is accused of something criminal and Murdoch isn't.

Casey doesn't have a load of people so powerful out to get her, that even when she is not involved in a crime, they put her on a quasi legal show trial and try to trap her into admitting complicity.

Murdoch is right now under investigation, not trial, so yes, your point is partially right. However, as I mentioned earlier, Murdoch showing up in front of the parliament is not just because there are others who are trying to get him, but the gravity required some less than common measure.

I'm wondering what evidence you have that shows that Murdoch is innocent. When there is smoke, there could be a fire, and that is what is happening. It seems like there is more than what has been previously known and investigation has to be done, and probably will not be haphazardly done like last time.

In the U.K. all the lefties hate that Murdoch broke the Unions.

All over the world he has poltiicans whom his newspapers have embarrassed, expossed or failed to support.

He has a lot more enemies than just those people who blindly hate the rich.

You, as well as BF2-Trooper, seems to view this as some sort of witch hunt. Try running this scenario. If a liberal news organization has done the same thing, would you be fine with the head of that news organizatoin treated this way?

You, as well as BF2-Trooper, seems to view this as some sort of witch hunt. Try running this scenario. If a liberal news organization has done the same thing, would you be fine with the head of that news organizatoin treated this way?

No, I wouldnt be fine with CNN being unfairly treated by the justice system or being shut down just because conservatives disagree with it. What's your point exactly?

Edited by BF2_Trooper

@ Ralph

Me too,

I read an intresting statistic, only two Chiefs of Police in this country have ever resigned. both of them this year.

The evidence that Murdoch is innocent is pretty obvious, they already have convicted the guy who did it.

Personally, I don't consider this crime to be of any particular "gravity", unless of course you happen to work in a rival media company or be a politician.

Some guy guessed the 4 digit security code on peoples phones and listened to their voicemails.

So what. Honestly.

Nobody was harmed, nobody died. Nothing was damaged.

He got caught arrested and prosecuted, and those people who employed him, at the time lost their jobs.

The bit about the dead girls phone and giving the family false hope that she was alive is blistering miserable, but I've done things as bad in my life. The real criminal is not the phone hacker, it's the guy who abducted, raped and killed a 15 year old girl.

Reality check please.

The idea that the guy who owns the company that owns the company that owns the company that hired the guy who hacked the phone is guilty too is laughable. It's like something from Monty Python.

Is he guilty when his employee's speed in their company cars too? He has allowed it to go on right? He knows it happens...

If a liberal news agency did the same thing, the right wingers would all be behaving the same way the lefties now are. Using any flimsy excuse to shut down their opposition. (Right wingers are always looking to hobble the BBC for example so When Jonathon Ross left that message on Manuels answer phone, the resulting scandal was used to nerf their funding).

All media moguls go the same way. Conrad Black, Robert Maxwell, Lord Beaverbrook.

This is par for the course.

Edited by Baff1

Name all the right-wing monopolys: racism, sexism, anti-intellectualism, fascism, religion, homophobia, overly zealous-prohibition, ect. The Murdoch media empire flings this crap at the unthinking throng and has done for years. It frightens politicians from performing as individuals. Some of us aren't immoral and do wish humans to progress, the Murdoch conformity machine feels opposed to that but I'll allow evidence to prove me wrong because, unlike right-wing bagheads, I don't believe in things just because I have a tendency or bias.

Murdoch, however, didn't believe in due process for George Tiller, just trial by Bill O.

liberal news agency

:Oo:

As do some moderates and conservatives (old school) who still prefer responsible, intelligent journalism as opposed to what FOX passes off as "news". One need only have seen Glenn Becks daily footage of Nazi Germany and trying to link Obama to it using his magical chalk board to know what I'm talking about.

There are still Conservative voices who know how to debate reasonably ie.Ed Rollins, without selling out to the fear mongering nutty right. Liberals have their MSNBC which from what little I've seen, falls into similar territory of histrionics as FOX.

When poor people are suspected of breaking the law, they don't have to appear on TV and explain themselves to the nation. They don't get summoned to Parliament and have custard pies rubbed in their faces in front of the entire world.

They get due process.

LMAO! Pie....big whoop. Theres no question (at least here in States) that the poor have it far worse when dealing with the criminal justice system. Just take a look at when large company CEO's get busted for ripping off millions, 1 or 2 get a few years jail in minimal security RE:Non-raping jail. Of course, they may have to eat humble pie....

[troll]Fox news is the propaganda arm of the Republican/Tea/hate party in America.[/troll]

Did I win?

Hey guess what? Even if that were true, people actually CHOOSE to PAY FOR and watch Fox News. And people can also choose NOT to watch it. As long as Fox News isnt being funded by the government, they have a right to say whatever they want because that's what cable subscribers pay them to do. It's called Capitalism. Love it or leave it.

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

As do some moderates and conservatives (old school) who still prefer responsible, intelligent journalism as opposed to what FOX passes off as "news". One need only have seen Glenn Becks daily footage of Nazi Germany and trying to link Obama to it using his magical chalk board to know what I'm talking about.

And liberals have been doing that to George W. Bush for nearly a decade. "Daily Footage of Nazi Germany"? If you really believe that then I don't think you actually get FOX News at all of have sat down for more than 5 minutes watching it. Stop basing Glenn Beck or this network on stuff you've heard or read about from other people who are completely biased against FOX.

Edited by BF2_Trooper

^^^

Perhaps tho I've never seen the equivalent of the stuff Beck was propagating on a daily basis -gave a bad name to right thinkin Conservatives. I have no respect for people who get rich being in political attack mode 24/7 yet lack the balls to debate or show up anywhere else then their safe little bully pulpit ie..Rush and Beck. Sorry but they're pussies.

Miss real Conservatives like William F. Buckley...

Edit: I watched FOX plenty and seen it with my own eyes -and yes, he was doing it daily.

@ Ralph

Me too,

I read an intresting statistic, only two Chiefs of Police in this country have ever resigned. both of them this year.

The evidence that Murdoch is innocent is pretty obvious, they already have convicted the guy who did it.

The problem that the Parliament query wants to deal with is whethere there was a coverup or anything condones by the company itself. right now it's investigation, and seems like some people just can't stand that it is under the microscope. There are plenty of criminals who claim they are innocent, but investigation showed otherwise.

Personally, I don't consider this crime to be of any particular "gravity", unless of course you happen to work in a rival media company or be a politician.

Some guy guessed the 4 digit security code on peoples phones and listened to their voicemails.

So what. Honestly.

Nobody was harmed, nobody died. Nothing was damaged.

He got caught arrested and prosecuted, and those people who employed him, at the time lost their jobs.

The bit about the dead girls phone and giving the family false hope that she was alive is blistering miserable, but I've done things as bad in my life. The real criminal is not the phone hacker, it's the guy who abducted, raped and killed a 15 year old girl.

Reality check please.

The reality is that breaking into a phone is illegal activity in itself. I find it extrememly disturbing that you are brushing off this by saying 'so what'. There is a line that is drawn and perpetraitors already passed it knowingly and even ended up possibly hampering investigation. To say this is something minor is just plain abhorrable.

The idea that the guy who owns the company that owns the company that owns the company that hired the guy who hacked the phone is guilty too is laughable. It's like something from Monty Python.

Is he guilty when his employee's speed in their company cars too? He has allowed it to go on right? He knows it happens...

If a company knew and did not do reasonable action to prevent such from happening, then the company is condoning the illegal activity. That's what the question is right now. How much did Murdoch knew about this and what did he do if he knew it.

If a liberal news agency did the same thing, the right wingers would all be behaving the same way the lefties now are. Using any flimsy excuse to shut down their opposition. (Right wingers are always looking to hobble the BBC for example so When Jonathon Ross left that message on Manuels answer phone, the resulting scandal was used to nerf their funding).

All media moguls go the same way. Conrad Black, Robert Maxwell, Lord Beaverbrook.

This is par for the course.

And yet, you have no problem taking Murdoch's side while belittling other side.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

No, I wouldnt be fine with CNN being unfairly treated by the justice system or being shut down just because conservatives disagree with it. What's your point exactly?

Yet, you don't have history of defending 'liberal' media, IIRC. In fact, you complain about how Fox network is treated, but not how 'liberal' media is being treated.

Hey guess what? Even if that were true, people actually CHOOSE to PAY FOR and watch Fox News. And people can also choose NOT to watch it. As long as Fox News isnt being funded by the government, they have a right to say whatever they want because that's what cable subscribers pay them to do. It's called Capitalism. Love it or leave it.

Don't take this off topic. I've not explicitly said it last time, but I will this time. This is about illegal activity of News Corp., not about economic battle of companies.

And liberals have been doing that to George W. Bush for nearly a decade. "Daily Footage of Nazi Germany"? If you really believe that then I don't think you actually get FOX News at all of have sat down for more than 5 minutes watching it. Stop basing Glenn Beck or this network on stuff you've heard or read about from other people who are completely biased against FOX.

Again, you show your true self as Fox network lover. You tried to stay neutral to the question I asked above, but you just can't help it. If you are truly objective, you'd see that FOX is no more of saint then those whom they criticize.

If Murdoch is suspect of commiting a crime then he deserves due process just as you or I do.

That is not what he is getting.

What he is getting is a load of people who hate tabloids or Fox News using the events at his newspaper as a vehicle to further their own agendas.

They don't want justice, they want to see him broken and humiliated. That is all.

Have you ever read one of Murdoch's tabloid character-assassination brochures? Not too much due process there either. Reap what you sow.

Edited by DMarkwick

Bravo. Liberal wishful thinking wetdream at it's finest! :D

I would rather the Liberals take over than have Republicans back in power. Americans seem to keen to forget that it was a Republican government that dragged them into two wars, one less just than the other, and killed the economy of not just America, but the world. And they do so because Obama isn't doing as well as hoped. Hate to break it to you, fellas, but at least he's doing better than your last candidate!

And no, I'm not American.

When you're rich enough you only need one of Charlie's angels to protect you.

Hi all

The Key problem for the Republican party is that Murdoch owns them lock stock and barrel, he decides who leads the Republican party. Murdoch already decides who the Republican Presedential candidates are and has even started to decide who the individual members of the Republican Party for Congress and the Senate are, as well as what they think, say and do.

They agree to what Murdoch tells them through Fox or they loose their jobs.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

It's called Capitalism. Love it or leave it.
I can't leave it. There isn't a country in the world without it.

Only in the UK can a publicly detested figurehead be assaulted by a custard pie :)

I would rather the Liberals take over than have Republicans back in power. Americans seem to keen to forget that it was a Republican government that dragged them into two wars, one less just than the other, and killed the economy of not just America, but the world. And they do so because Obama isn't doing as well as hoped. Hate to break it to you, fellas, but at least he's doing better than your last candidate!

Obama is doing the exact same thing as Bush x10. Both were/are big government presidents who heedlessly drove up the national debt. Both entered us into unpopular armed conflicts. Both maintained/maintain extrajudicial holding camps for suspected terrorists outside of country borders (despite the fact that one of Obama's campaign promises was to get rid of places like Guantanamo).

They're basically the same president; Obama is just a more extreme version of what Bush was. When Bush created an unprecedented national debt of hundreds of billions of dollars, Obama answered back with an exponentially greater national debt in the trillions. And now, as soon as China wakes up and realizes that they don't actually need our consumers to employ their workers, you will see America go the way of Greece and Ireland. And while some thanks for that goes to Bush, it is impossible to deny that Obama and his administration has played an even larger role.

When Bush created an unprecedented national debt of hundreds of billions of dollars, Obama answered back with an exponentially greater national debt in the trillions

U.S. national debt has been in the trillions and steadily climbing for decades.

Obama is doing the exact same thing as Bush x10. Both were/are big government presidents who heedlessly drove up the national debt. Both entered us into unpopular armed conflicts. Both maintained/maintain extrajudicial holding camps for suspected terrorists outside of country borders (despite the fact that one of Obama's campaign promises was to get rid of places like Guantanamo).

They're basically the same president; Obama is just a more extreme version of what Bush was. When Bush created an unprecedented national debt of hundreds of billions of dollars, Obama answered back with an exponentially greater national debt in the trillions. And now, as soon as China wakes up and realizes that they don't actually need our consumers to employ their workers, you will see America go the way of Greece and Ireland. And while some thanks for that goes to Bush, it is impossible to deny that Obama and his administration has played an even larger role.

My Point of View: Bush f***ed up very big time. He started two wars from which at least one had nothing to do with 9/11. He started all this stuff with Guantanamo and he build up a huge debt. His time is over, the Nation is a mess.

Now there is Obama.

He tries to make some things right. He wanted to close Guantanamo, but what should he do with the Prisoners? Bring them into American Prisons? Doesn´t work. Get rid of them in some other way? Also didn´t work.

The war in Afghanistan costs the US a fortune, but he can´t pull the Troops out all of a sudden. Financial crises hits the country really hard. Mistakes were made during the Bush administartion that now sum up.

He introduced Health Care for all Americans. Thats a wonderfull thing. I was always thinking how such a great nation can be without a proper health care system. Something other Nations had 100 years ago.

And on top of that Obama has to argue with the Republican Party for every step he takes. They are simply sabotaging him.

IMHO America needs a tax system reform. It must not be possible that some company bosses pay less taxes than their secretarys! But guess who fights against such a reform: The Republican Party (Sponsored by many big Companys).

So don´t blame Obama for having to clean up the mess that Bush left him.

And don´t you dare to call me biased or something like that. I don´t live in the states but I watch the news and know whats going on.

I see no reason to keep this thread going now that we are completely off the subject on hand.

Those who want to add the relevant news instead of political bickering may contact me via PM.

Thread is reopened.

Again, this thread is for discussing the issue about wiretapping by News Coro, not about politics.

Hi all

My thanks to RalphWiggum for reopening the thread which he did in the light of the new revelations about hacking by News Corp.

This was the subject of two new events with regard to the Murdoch's hacking case:

The first being statments by the former News of The World Legal Chief Tom Crone and the Former editor of the News of the World Colin Myler that make clear that James Murdoch lied in evidense given to Parliment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14241915

With regard to his knowledge that Hacking was Wide Spread at New Corp and that he new this when he gave Previous evidense to Paliment and said only two people were involved and only in the hacking of the royal family and that he repeated the lie in his recent evidense.

The email is the same one Tom Watson was pursuing at the start of the commitee questioning.

The email was to News of the World's chief reporter, Neville Thurlbeck showing he was also involved in the phone Hacking thus proving not only that phone hacking was widespread (which we already now know to be true) at News Corp but also that since both the editor and the Legal Chief of the News of the World, state they informed James Murdoch of it, that he there for lied twice in evidense to Parliment.

This is also backed up by the fact that the hacking case it relates to is the ones the Hush money was paid out for by James Murdoch, he signed the checks for a total of 1.75 Million but claims no one told him why he was signing them. Which was the other thing that Tom Watson asked about when the Murdochs were questioned in Paliment.

The second matter is the Jude Law case where the Sun is accused of hacking phones in America. This is now being investigated by the FBI along with the cases of hacking of 9/11 victims families.

Additionaly the Sun yesterday sacked a Journalist with regard to hacking.

In the light of this evidense RalphWiggum was happy to reopen the thread

Like RalphWiggum I would ask that the US political dimension and those wishing to discuss such US politics redirect their posts on that subject to the US politics thread.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker