Sign in to follow this  
instagoat

[Answered] A2CO inconsistent Stuttering

Hi, People.

I´ve only noticed this problem recently, after starting A2 vanilla, which runs smooth as silk.

My CO install is suffering from random and permanent stuttering, despite a high framerate. I´ve tried various things to alleviate this, defragged my drive, tried various graphics settings and sound options, but to no avail.

The problem also persists when mods are run, and when the game is run clean (ie, only A2CO plus BAF and PMC). Game version is 1.59.

Does anybody else have a similar problem?

I am getting kind of annoyed by this because I can´t seem to isolate the error, so I´m tempted to try a full reinstall of the game.

Cheers

Insta

Edited by Dwarden

Thanks for the pointers, will look into it.

Arma 2 vanilla doesn´t seem to suffer from this problem, however I´ll check my other games to see if some of them have the same problem. If yes, it´s likely something with my rig, rather than my A2CO setup.

Forgot to post my setup too, it´s the following:

Processor: Core2Duo E8400 at 3 ghz

GFX: Nvidia 260GTX

Ram: 4 gigs DDR2

Hi Instagoat (and Dwarden),

You know I was just looking for threads like this as I am getting the same.

I have a consistently high FPS (around 40) with 4000VD, everything on Very High (except AA on low, Shadows and PP disabled). I'm running at 1680x1050 and it runs VERY well.

I have defragged my HDD (to within an inch of its life) and used contig to make sure that my arma2 files are all contiguous on the drive. I run a core i7 with hyperthreading disabled with 6gig RAM.

I notice that I get the stuttering when the HDD is active. What I don't understand is why the game is accessing the HDD so much. I suppose what I see is a transient reduction in FPS during HDD read. My RAM sits at around 60% full playing the game and about 20-25% CPU.

Surely I should be able to have it smooth(er)? Any other tips as this REALLY is the only thing spoiling my total enjoyment. And adding more RAM or an SSD is out of the question presently due to financial constraints.

Hi again.

I´ve looked into, tried the DPC latency checker thingy and nothing unusual has turned up.

Cleaned up the drive, defragged it again and had slight improvement, but the problem persists. The game constantly scrubs about on the HD, which seems to cause the stutters. Arma 2 does not suffer from this problem, and neither do other games. Is this a bug?

Cheers

Insta

Edit: Tested with and without mods, with and without beta, trying the different memalloc settings, using different graphics and audio settings, but nothing works: the problem always persists. I am going to update my drivers, and hope that fixes it, otherwise I´ll make a ticket at the devheaven.

Anybody else around with this problem who has found a solution, short of installing new drivers?

Edit of the Edit: Tested with new drivers... problem persists. Stuttering always occurs when the game accesses the HD. Defragging the drive had no effect. What else is left?

Edited by InstaGoat

i had this problem to, but the weird part is that its only in one user made campaign for ArmaII OA. I get like 50fps and still stutters about every 2-3 seconds, changed settings etc. Nothing helps, but luckely i dont have it on other campaigns or the game itself.