Sign in to follow this  
tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment WiP Thread

I agree with the whole concept with the project, and the realistic aspect of how a sound I guess should sound in terms of your orientation to it.

On another note there is an aspect for some people for the game that not all sounds are the same to one person,

thats just a fact, so its really a matter of you either like the sound produced or you dont, like a personal taste if you will.

i guess you can say I somewhat said what the previous poster had said, lol

I'm open to seeing/hearing where this will go.

While I do love authenticity and realism I have always been of the opinion when it comes to sound mods that making the shots and explosions sound good to the ear is more important than putting time and effort it to making them sound authentic to each particular firearm.

Problem is, sounds at war is no music or tune at all. We don't fight for the noise, but instead how sound become accurately aware-able source to get to know where and how far the hostile is.

Don't misunderstand my meaning, I know sounds good for ears is no doubt important, but for million of player's mind will they aware how they suppose to be sound while in battle station? We hear the immerse sound for SURVIVABILITY, not TEARS OF JOY.

Hi,

After some months of silence I make you guys know that we are still alive and working hard on the stuff. We dropped the "old" method of environment detecting from DSS and now have a much more flexible system. We also overcame the issue which prevented its working in MP. The Mod is planned for mid-spring release. I'll try to keep you more updated in the upcoming weeks.

Hey look, a video:

Wow, sounds like it has so much potential. One question: how will you handle transition from, e.g. forest to open space, or will my shots suddenly sound very different as I walk away from the trees. Otherwise it really shows promise, great work!

It will sound very different, sadly.

In theory we can set up as many custom conditions and soundsets as possible, however we wouldn't be able to deliver the mod before A3 then.

I see, well it's not a biggie and it's really impressive stuff as it is! It will really increase the immersion factor!

I always loved this idea, this is going to be a default mod in A3 if it's portable with ease. :)

Going to have so much fun with this, if for example combined with I44 mod, will it apply to those sounds aswell or does it require a config and audio samples for that?

You will need to create extra sounds and configs for 3rd party mods, but I will supply the documentation and examples for that.

Well I have plans for an I44 extension, already made some sounds for it, but currently other things have higher priority. :)

It sounds absolutely incredible. I really like the sounds inside enclosed spaces and at a distance. My main pet peeve in ArmA 2 as far as sound goes (aside from what you guys have already improved upon) is mortars. Will you guys implement some sort of mortar sound simulation? A distant, and delayed & somewhat faint launching sound is lacking.

awesome!!! nice to see a new project from you guys =)

Woah this is exactly what we all need. Man that blew me away! Great job guys keep up the good work!

My most anticipated mod of 2012. :cool:

My most anticipated mod of 2012. :cool:

+1

I´ll be tempted to wear hearing protection while playing ArmA :o

Just some AK soundtest, but you can also notice we have specific sound for raising up the weapon for aiming.

YBz2tgvTEQI

Edited by tpM

No, but certain features will be ACE dependent like the earplug effect you can see (hear) in the video. It'll only require ACE SM and CBA to run.

Edited by tpM

Can't wait to hear a full scale battle with this. Sounds great!

So is the idea to be able to integrate this mod with JSRS as well? Or will it be a completely separate entity tpM ?

Well it dont work the same way as HARCP DSS. That simply added a seperate echo SFX (a 2nd soundfile) on firing so even when you ran a different soundmod, the echo FX was still played (though it wasnt really good with soundmods already having long trailoffs). ACSE uses seperate "whole" firing sounds per condition (distance/environment) e.g. an M4 in your hands with some trees around will use "m4_1p_woodland.wss", but when someone fires his in the village 300 meters away from you you'll hear "m4_far_houses.wss". So its not about playing a bunch of sound layers and let the engine mix them, but simply use one sound per shot based on surroundings and distance from the listener. This allows much more freedom and flexibility than DSS had; for example, the indoor firing is not just the base weapon sound with a specific, shorter reverb mixed in, but really different, louder bang. Jarhead and the other soundguys will need to adopt the system (= make their own sounds for distances, environment) if they want their own dynamic soundscape, but a few months before A3 and its new soundengine I dont think they'll do it. Its really time consuming and hard work if you want to maintain consistence and quality among such amount of sounds. I hope I answered your question. :>

Edited by tpM
typo