Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Problems when trying to fly with Auto Trim Off

Problems when trying to fly with Auto Trim Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWSV3q9h_Yw
    Guess it dont work, there's the link

Shows on take off how chopper just immediately turns right with excessive
    torque...

Things to note when watching this video.

1. I am a newb pilot.. But I have just spent 4-5 hours tweaking my controls to even get this bird off the ground and to stop it from spinning like a top...

I am heavy on the left rudder... When i finally fly straight I had to totally gain forward momentum somehow getting to tip the nose down.. it was pure luck that I got it started, and the first time i ever flu that straight so i guess there is hope...

2. When flying somewhat straight I am 85% left rudder and constantly pushing the nose down

3. My hand is hurting from massive force applied to my stick to counter for feedback from game

4. I have to constantly move rudders back and forth to fool the system i guess and not have my bird rotate totally on its right side.. but maintain 85% left rudder

Dunno what else to say, just want some advice, opinions, feedback, tips,
    etc, as I don't want to fly with auto trim on

Collective feels very strange, i show you in game when warming up that my collective is setup and working right... Just seems like the feedback takes way to long to register in game, thus maybe why everyone complains they can't land soft... Surprised anyone can land at all, i sure cant...

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

yes i need serious help creating and converting videos too, sorry about the 240p. I record in fraps, and then dunno what to do to make it look good?!?!
    Last edited by Foxhound; Jul 9 2011 at 21:02.

Might be an idea to master the Arma 2 flight model first. It's very similar but less complex. Also I assume you used 3rd person for the sake of filming? It's much easier to fly from first person, Arma's 3rd person camera is far from ideal.
    "RIVET-COUNTER" ALARM [SCANNING]
    VOLCBAT
    Future Hamok Pilot

It would be worth checking your controller sensitivity (particularly rudder/pedals). Go to Options/Controls/Controller then choose the pedals and choose Customize. Then set the sensitivity on all axes to maximum.
    Author of PVPmissionWizard ArmA2FPSAnalyser AddonChecker and ... squint

Tools homepage

Crosseyed and Painless - a blog about my ArmA2 developments

we have a stickied video thread. please use that instead. thanks.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121441

I understand you are seeking help with the manual trim feature, but your thread title says to me - look at my video, and not - help me with this issue.
    Last edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-; Jul 2 2011 at 19:16.

Private First Class
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy- View Post
    we have a stickied video thread. please use that instead. thanks.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121441

I understand you are seeking help with the manual trim feature, but your thread title says to me - look at my video, and not - help me with this issue.
    Seriously go away already Ziggy, if you have not noticed, no one likes you, and or so no one is going to listen. Mod consider Ziggy as trolling since he is very aware of what his is stating here and past problems with him trying to moderate this board..

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sbsmac View Post
    It would be worth checking your controller sensitivity (particularly rudder/pedals). Go to Options/Controls/Controller then choose the pedals and choose Customize. Then set the sensitivity on all axes to maximum.
    Not sensitivity related, its awesome and responds well in all features including tests.. Not to mention if you actually do edit controller in Arma 2 and have a X65F, you most certainly will crash after hitting OK. I have drivers that can control all that including dead space. The sensativity is easily tested using auto trim on.. So maybe if someone explained what auto trim in this game actually does, might give more insight and provide tips and suggestions

Definitely throttle related though...

Auto-trim looks after your anti-torque rotor so you doin't have to worry about it as much. It basically makes flying less realistic but easier. It should definitely stop you spinning as much.

Private First Class
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Might be an idea to master the Arma 2 flight model first. It's very similar but less complex. Also I assume you used 3rd person for the sake of filming? It's much easier to fly from first person, Arma's 3rd person camera is far from ideal.
    I have been playing Since OPFP Days, I am very familiar with Arma 2 and flight.

Well for filming yes, but third person is really the only way you can get off the ground because you have no "REAL BODY FEELING" and can't notice you are tipping over when in cockpit like you can in 3rd person, 9/10 times its a crash and burn most of the time before getting 1" off the ground, although i do notice maybe I wasnt warmed up fully... I'll have to go back and replay as 1st person a few more times.

I wish I had recorded my first videos where i was spinning in circles like seriously 180 times per second... its that crazy of a torque to the right

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Auto-trim looks after your anti-torque rotor so you doin't have to worry about it as much. It basically makes flying less realistic but easier. It should definitely stop you spinning as much.
    Thanks, I mean a little bit more LOW LEVEL in SOFTWARE sort of speak

I'd definitely recommend first person.

I am a newb pilot
    Sorry, this made me think you hadn't done much Arma 2 flying, along with being a new forum member. In that case though, you should pick it up easily once you sort your torque problems, it's not dissimilar to Arma 2's flight model.

Quote Originally Posted by habnor View Post
    Thanks, I mean a little bit more LOW LEVEL in SOFTWARE sort of speak
    Ah, might be better off waiting for a dev to answer that then.

Private First Class
    Author of the Thread
    No problem, thanks for the feedback, with learning what trim is and how to use it, I may get this bird soaring shortly.. going in to set my trim and see what happens ;D

Quote Originally Posted by habnor View Post
    Seriously go away already Ziggy, if you have not noticed, no one likes you, and or so no one is going to listen. Mod consider Ziggy as trolling since he is very aware of what his is stating here and past problems with him trying to moderate this board.
    If you have something to say to me, take it to PM. Go ahead, cuss me out. your privates message wont be reported.

However, just because you may not agree with someones opinion doesn't mean you should try to shout them down with personal attacks, stating no one likes me, or will listen.

Any future topics or threads that directly attack me will be reported.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast