Sign in to follow this  
suma

Arma 2: OA: Beta Build 82282 - Memory allocator test

Which -malloc=N works best for you?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which -malloc=N works best for you?

• -malloc=0
    • -malloc=1
    • -malloc=2
    • -malloc=3
    • -malloc=4

Well, it seems that -malloc=3 has left all the others in the dust. Call me premature, but I think we have a winner.

So, Suma, how's about you tell us what all this means? :D

Just one more thing, does trackIR effect perfomance? Because I tried the benchmark 01 mission without activating trackIR and I got 29fps avg. Then after I activate trackIR, rand the same mission with the same setting and I got 24-23fps avg.

Hi everyone, I started testing these betas when the last one was released and would like to know whether the changes from previous betas carry over to the next or not.

Edit:

I tried to install the beta but I get an error message saying "wrong cd key" although I bought arrowhead on steam. The last beta worked fine. But I had problems running mods and so I reinstalled arrowhead. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

Edited by _sherlock_

Hi everyone, I started testing these betas when the last one was released and would like to know whether the changes from previous betas carry over to the next or not.

Edit:

I tried to install the beta but I get an error message saying "wrong cd key" although I bought arrowhead on steam. The last beta worked fine. But I had problems running mods and so I reinstalled arrowhead. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

Steam user probably. Start the Steam launcher as Administrator and run your arma games at least once through the launcher.

82346 comes:D

-malloc=0: Crash when trying to run benchmark 1, not crash in 82282

-malloc=3 no crash but drops 5 FPS

Edited by Sisbboy

Played with Malloc=3 for a few hours, in the process did a lot of config tweaks like changing AA, VD, also did a lot of Alt+tabbing and FRAPS'ing so there were a lot of chances to mess things up.

The game worked stable. Although I didn't notice any positive FPS change other people did.

Tested on 82346

malloc B01 B02

-malloc=0 44 17

-malloc=1 44 17 higher minimal fps then with -malloc=0

-malloc=2 42 15

-malloc=3 43 17

-malloc=4 42 17

1.59 45 19

ArmA2OA.cfg

language="Russian";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=100000;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Resolution_W=1920;
Resolution_H=1080;
refresh=60;
winX=16;
winY=32;
winW=800;
winH=600;
winDefW=800;
winDefH=600;
Render_W=1920;
Render_H=1080;
FSAA=0;
postFX=0;
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;
HDRPrecision=8;
lastDeviceId="";
localVRAM=1576468480;
nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;
vsync=1;
AToC=7;
Windowed=0;

ArmA2OAProfile

version=2;
blood=2;
anisoFilter=4;
TexQuality=3;
TexMemory=3;
useWBuffer=0;
tripleHead=0;
shadingQuality=10;
shadowQuality=3;
maxSamplesPlayed=128;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1999.9763;
sceneComplexity=500000;
viewDistance=5000.1367;
terrainGrid=12.5;

PC spec

MB Asus Sabertooth X58

RAM Corsair XMS3 CMT6GX3M3A2000C8

CPU Core i7 950 @4Hhz

GPU GTX 580

Edited by SLAYER_RF

I get crashes on mission loading (trying to play "For the life of a friend") with JSRS sound mod and the mission addons active.

I tried -malloc=3 and -malloc=0 with the same result. Running the vanila 1.59 plays with no problems, but I guess we all knew that anyway.

Those not getting crashes with -malloc=3, did you have have addons activated or not? I realise some did, but am wondering if most test with no addons active. Is that the prefered method from the Dev's, I guess that would be easiest for them to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Edited by Rough Knight

I get crashes on mission loading (trying to play "For the life of a friend") with JSRS sound mod and the mission addons active.

I tried -malloc=3 and -malloc=0 with the same result. Running the vanila 1.59 plays with no problems, but I guess we all knew that anyway.

If you want me to check, I need exact download location for both mission and addons / mods used and step by step instructions how to run the mission. (Believe it or not, I have no idea what is "For the life of a friend").

Well, it seems that -malloc=3 has left all the others in the dust. Call me premature, but I think we have a winner.

So, Suma, how's about you tell us what all this means? :D

Ye Suma please tell us what this malloc is. :)

ALL tests of new betas should be done with NO addons active first of all. Run a few benchmarks and get a feel for how smoothly the game is running. Follow that with your favourite missions/addons and see how it runs.

If then there is a mission that is not working .... it's probably the mission!

Can confirm that the videoplayback stuttering is not fixed.

Selfmade playbacks are also not working.

http://addonsync.dyneslott.com/files/arma2/addons/jarhead/beta/J.S.R.S.%201.32%20FULL.rar does not work for me. Error is:

The requested URL /files/arma2/addons/jarhead/beta/J.S.R.S. 1.32 FULL.rar was not found on this server.

Remove the /beta from the path ;)

http://addonsync.dyneslott.com/files/arma2/addons/jarhead/J.S.R.S.%201.32%20FULL.rar

If you want me to check, I need exact download location for both mission and addons / mods used and step by step instructions how to run the mission. (Believe it or not, I have no idea what is "For the life of a friend").

I don't think I mentioned that vanilla 1.59 definitely does not crash running the mods along with this mission.

I can reproduce the crash with the beta every time with the following mods however:

J.S.R.S mod

For The Life of a friend

Notes:

Intro plays no problem but the game CTD's as the first mission finishes loading every time [i.e When the map and tasks\notes normally pop up]. You can skip the intro once it starts to shortcut the whole process as it is quite long.

Please find attached direct link to my MiniDump Here.

I am only using JRSE-E [Environmental sounds] and there are some addons in the @forthelifeofafriend mod folder, but they seem to work ok for me.

Installation:

*The mission file obviously goes into the missions folder in the game directory.

*@forthelifeofafriend is started like a normal addon here is my shortcut command line.

"C:\Games\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" "-mod=C:\Games\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2;Expansion;ca;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@jsrs-e;@forthelifeofafriend" "-name=Rough Knight" -nosplash -showScriptErrors -malloc=0

Thanks for looking and I hope you can reproduce it.

Edited by Rough Knight
Updated info

I have no difference from malloc=3 <=> malloc=4

Both settings run good, smooth and stable with beta82346 and improved the fps a little bit.

Tested with Singlematch E06 - (Der Bär erhebt sich)

and

Benny Warfare 2.069 *greetings to the Normandie-Baby* :razz:

All tests without mods and resolution 1680x1050

Bench E08 (malloc3) = ~48fps

Bench E08 (malloc4) = ~48fps

sys:

e8400 3GHz @3600

4GB Ram

Asus P5Q

4870 1G (driver 11.6)

edit: i did not vote - malloc3+4 ok for me

Edited by Riffler

Please find attached direct link to my MiniDump Here.

Great. While I still were unable to reproduce, the minidump has shown me the exact location and I have fixed the cause. It was related to visibility updates optimization. Should be fixed in 82406

For the videoplayback[this belongs in the new beta thread, my mistake]

Just to make sure, i uploaded a example mission with the E01 Benchmark as ogv file. after 10-20 secounds it absolutly kills my CPU/RAM whatever, i got to wait 1 minute to get back to TaskManager and shut down OA. i took a look at the biki and used playvideo as it is shown...

Example mission with Benchmark 01:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fosl6j

Edited by Coffeecat

Great. While I still were unable to reproduce, the minidump has shown me the exact location and I have fixed the cause. It was related to visibility updates optimization. Should be fixed in 82406

That's awesome, I'm glad it could be fixed :)

Just to make sure, i uploaded a example mission with the E01 Benchmark as ogv file. after 10-20 secounds it absolutly kills my CPU/RAM whatever, i got to wait 1 minute to get back to TaskManager and shut down OA. i took a look at the biki and used playvideo as it is shown...

Reproduced (with default -malloc=3), I hope to have it resolved shortly.

Fixed as of 82439

Coffeecat,

How do I install that video test to try it out?

Edited by OMAC