y4mhZe5y2Wryv0WePSkeHpxfjC1nmOG1Mkf5jsVM

For The Life Of A Friend

Version:
Author: Undeceived
Required game version: Arma 2: Combined Operations (v. 1.62)

>> Read the final review at
OFPEC (9/10)

>> Read another review at
The Abandoned Workshops

Scenario description:
"We went out to have some fun teasing Jegorow, the new castle caretaker. But then everything turned out differently..."

Features:
- Civilian style mission
- A story about friendship, murder and revenge
- Fully voiced (German)
- English and German subtitles (also English subtitles for the Polish and Russian version of Arma 2)
- Uses Silola's DAC, which makes combat situations a blast!
- Self made music by the author, among other custom music
- Many cutscenes

y4msW7zCFFhIh2ujLNE3iztlNbvOd4wPupFcZOxcqg3lcO1CyP9-ZyEkFL_hu23FJZWkSZvIrlgTl6IIav2vXOYXTLQ7E-3mFot5nllgfqroI7ABtPmpMsyoB6_X0QUd9OHJdXNcwhoZmb5ENtoOv-HtpnvYL-td9zhPmCfSrzJeZYwLqQBxqf2J43fcHkEleIy7rID7QO3VFaczJjzxXCJfQ?width=1024&height=496&cropmode=none

Required addons:
- "Armed Civilians" by W0lle (version: 1.02)
(contained in the mission download)

- Editor upgrades by Jon-C5- and Mapfact
(contained in the mission download)

Versions:

Version | Date | Notes

1.0 | 04.03.2011 | Release of the first beta version.
1.1 | 08.05.2011 | Bugs and many script errors were removed, English translation was finished.
1.2 | 03.06.2011 | Bugs and many script errors were removed. Some parts (e.g. Olaf) were optimized.
1.3 | 10.06.2011 | Bugs were removed, optimizations of the optimizations, more optimizations.
1.4 | 25.06.2011 | Bugs were removed, the end of the beta phase is reached.
1.5 | 07.07.2011 | Bugs were removed.
1.6 | 07.01.2012 | Bugs removed, more optimizations. Highlights: AI doesn't need NVGs anymore to detect enemies in the dark; English subtitles for the Polish and Russian versions of Arma 2; Annoyed bugs in the cutscenes were reduced; Many new things were built in; Etc...
1.7 | 29.04.2012 | Elimination of two showstoppers, which some players experienced. Some cutscenes were optimized.
1.8 | 03.02.2013 | Taskhints were added and some bugs removed.

y4mM_m4BsjV2uhGobKUoEoiBr-i7Eo5reUNqdU1EqvPCTPfIKX_ohDQC46KOqQmITvjgi6Zs_bg7BRpFQOLRKxHK3YwDvLms2Ln2z83FW8NldYeI8Vye1c0x3WHvRhYiJw4JGWR4p5H3KqLBL8stIKo0_VgFUXGppuFO2cF6XRFKzMzM5bcv9ieUUh5YSO3NMZi6bpB9mtnZJxoJJe-Ch-pDg?width=1024&height=568&cropmode=none

Known bugs in version 1.8:
- Script errors: If you start Arma 2 with parameter -showScriptErrors, there might appear script errors, which come out of the DAC scripts. These errors however do not influence the gameplay and the mission's functionality in any way and are not showstoppers! Anyway it is recommended to play without the start parameter -showScriptErrors.
- Remove AI team mate's pistols as soon as possible and give them rifles to prevent the Arma 2-pistol bug, which sometimes happens (AI doesn't move anymore).

Download:
For The Life Of A Friend 1.8: @ bIdentify | @ OFPEC

y4m0Q1EJzhOWWDgjXHacVxyWp1YW0Yg8negpS9Iqvl6KNRWSMqEGIguuAjoedYVRtFEVUebBW46-gtYILGdXcoc5_1WPKVS1xj0JdJL_kWwwit_jObl1JRN12ZVtSA1bk66-12zlAo_9Wuqlckc7lejaWXtGAWJeH_qEU-6XP5Vyf6XgduaWaHIqgdEDHqB1lCYx-usW06f9L_4JOhMkLuAYA?width=1024&height=571&cropmode=none

Edited by Undeceived

Is this a mission where you try to survive in a warzone or something?

Not exactly. It is about friendship and about revenge.

But depending of how you play it - yes, you'll have to survive in a warzone.

I just got the task to

kill the mafia guy

and I thought I'd say that so far this is an absolutely fantastic experience. I'm usually very critical of mods that attempt to tell stories, and never met a voiced ArmA cutscene that I liked, but you have done really outstanding work here. The German voiceovers sound pretty good to a non-speaker, and not being able to hear every flaw keeps me immersed, oddly enough. The setting and music is chosen perfectly, the time of day is very cinematic and the writing is even decent in translation. And you've done some clever things with animations. I loved the part when the guy threw a rock at the car only to have it bounce off and hit him in the face!

And rescuing Kostya was a blast. I knew how shitty my pistol was, and it felt great to hit them from hiding. And then another guy with an AK attacked us, completely unplanned, and I managed to kill him too. But he almost interrupted the dialog, so you might want to be careful of that. And is Kostya supposed to have to crawl, or did I shoot him in the leg by accident? Also, it was a little odd that the mafia seemed to shoot a random person creeping up on their car.

Edit: Just finished. I can't recommend this mission enough. Everyone should download it and save if for later when they have a spare two hours. So many missions try and fail to accomplish what this one pulls off so well.

The actual revenge part is quite difficult and unnerving. I went into full-on evasion mode after nailing the castle caretaker with a single 7.62x39mm round at about 150m, treating the AI as if they were as good at tracking as humans. And they still almost caught me after a kilometer of running and smoke grenades.

And thankyouthankyouthankyou for giving us that one frag grenade in the church cache. To my childlike delight, I was able to slip in over the top of the wooden fence in Vyshnoye and into the midst of the mafia boss' group of body guard. I shredded all of them in the smoothest way possible. Then I ran to the first cabin, almost got nailed by a seemingly psychic AI who was waiting for us, and sprinted to the car. I was so tired from running that I was blacking out at the wheel. And the ending cutscene capped everything off nicely.

Edited by maturin
  • Like 1

It'd better have zombies in it.

Downloading nao.

EDIT - Finished it. Well, I didn't see no zombies, but what I wasn't expecting was an excellent mission. Great voicing, great storytelling, and plenty of chances to hit people with cars. :)

I thought there might be a zombie moment coming when I saw this ...but no zombies. :p

Edited by CameronMcDonald

I thought there might be a zombie moment coming when I saw this ...but no zombies. :p

Dammit! This was a bug! :) Did this cutscene end somehow atleast or did you have to reload?

It ended fine - dragged on a little bit (the dude just crouch walking, then he stopped, the car drove up to him, then he died (I assume shot by the passenger?), and then came towards the camera), but the mission continued fine. :)

Yeah... You're the second person who reported that the man was crawling...

For other players who tried the mission: Did you experience the same or did the man walk normally to the car? (We're talking about this part of the mission where

the mafia car pursuits the player's car.

)

Anyway, I will fix this!

Thanks for the confirmation!

Edited by Undeceived

This is an absolutely excellent example of storytelling in Arma 2, and heartily recommended. I won't spoil anything much, but be prepared for something quite different, and quite heart-pumpingly exciting. I suggest you allow yourself to be immersed as far as you can - it's not that hard either :D

Great job as always, Undeceived!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Fantastic mission, 5/5!

Ok, usually I don't play SP stuff... but in ten years of OFP, A1 and A2 I didn't see a better mission than this!

Thanks a lot for your kind words, guys! :) :)

i also can just recommend that movielike mission, great job, Undeceived;)

it would be not half as good without voiceacting

i also can just recommend that movielike mission, great job, Undeceived

it would be not half as good without voiceacting

Hello,

i underline this sentences!

Awesome mission, taste of a MovieStyle, differend to any other Mission, but this is what the story is....outstanding!!

Great job UD!

A special for u: http://www.arma2base.de/include.php?path=forumsthread&threadid=356

Best regards

McLupo

I started playing this last night. I had a beta crash so that stopped me for the night [Not mission related], but I did get through the intro...I like the way the story is building. Good work.

Terrific work. I always love when someone makes a mission that totally reinvents my perspective on my already favorite game.

After finishing the mission, I was just sitting there staring at the screen wanting to continue ..like... living Priotr's life.

A sequel would be amazing. I bet those mafia had funding connections with Chedaki-linked arms dealers ;)

Edited by Joseph Troska

A sequel would be amazing. I bet those mafia had funding connections with Chedaki-linked arms dealers ;)

Nah. The Chedaki couldn't even get themselves as many AK74s as NAPA, and these guys had M4s.

:D To be honest, while testing the mission I always had some ideas where certain elements of the story could fit into a sequel. :)

But the connections to the Chedakis or the Napa are interesting too! :) But I'm not sure if there will be a continuation.

I wonder if the story takes place between wars or after Harvest Red.

The enormous strength of the mafia fits the early post-Soviet period well.

But the guys have cell phones which throws the story in the late nineties or 2000+. ;)

I have no clue! :D

Wish I could play this but I only have vanilla Arma 2