Sign in to follow this  
axure

Free advice for Bohemia Interactive on Arma2:Free

Dear BI, allow me to present some unsolicited advice from an avid fan.

As you realize (I hope), while Arma2 is a great game, it's not the most popular one, for various reasons. At this stage of its life, it gains new users mainly through word of mouth spread on blogs, forums and between friends. Thus, your effort to gain some publicity and lower the barrier to entry by releasing Arma2:Free is truly laudable. But, in my opinion, you've made one significant miscalculation.

You see, when I heard about Arma2:Free (and I own Arma2 & OA), I was very excited. I thought - awesome, I'll tell people on the military geeks forum that I frequent and convince a couple to join. I'll teach them how to play Arma2 (which might be a little intimidating to newcomers), we'll make a great team and have tons of fun. And I'll be able to convince a personal friend of mine, who is still on the fence.

But then I thought - I better check A2:Free, before I get overexcited. So I installed it, went to MP and... lo and behold, I can't see any of the servers that I usually play. Actually, I see literally one highly populated server (dao-xr free pvp). I scratch my head and realize - right, this is Arma2 clean, while I'm used to Arma2+OA.

But wait, how are all these newcomers going to join me in my cheerful adventures on those Warfare servers, if all that's really available is one AAS server? (Coop doesn't count, AI alone is not a worthy opponent.)

So here is your problem: 90% of the Arma2 community has moved to OA/CO long time ago. So in effect you're creating two separate communities: the "old" community, who will stay in the Combined Ops world, and the new, smaller community of newbies trying their luck in Arma2:Free.

I hope you can see the problem now? Arma2:Free would be much more powerful, if it allowed the old guard to bring the new blood to the game. And for two reasons:

1) Existing players are still a significant factor in spreading the word of mouth on line and among friends. Now that I see A2:Free is crippled in MP too, I'm not going to rush to tell everyone.

2) Existing players are essential to making sure that you actually keep newcomers in Arma2, because the experienced can teach and befriend them. Otherwise, in 70% of the cases, an A2:F newbie will come, try to play for two evenings, feel intimidated or unattached and leave for good.

So my advice: Expand Arma2:Free to allow for participation in the Combined Operations community. Let everyone play on those servers. That's where 90% of the fun is taking place.

Regards,

Axure

PS. An additional technical remark: A2:Free creates an additional risk of people using multiple Arma copies on multiple computers - and especially having one leg in Blue and one in Red, in order to learn about base & HQ location. Of course, at the same time you don't want to just ban multiple connections from same IP, because you'll be hurting gamers who live together or LAN party participants. So my suggestion: allow admins (and by default) to prevent connections from one IP to join both Red and Blue.

PPS. If someone from BI reads this, please make sure it bubbles up the command chain. ;)

Edited by axure
small corrections

your PS fully explains why the A2F is A2 engine and not OA :)

this was discussed on team and for now decided go the A2F route ...

in future (but don't put your hopes high this is just imo)

it might be expanded to OA engine while giving admins way to prevent free users to join such server or so ...

I'll disagree with a part of the OP.

BIS doesn't need to give OA content in A2F, they just need to make A2F work with OA so there's no excuse for OA-only players anymore.

I still don't understand how people play OA-Only multiplayer, the Takis are just so underpowered and useless compared to the mighty bluefor.

If BIS would give A2F players OA content as well, BIS would not only lose out on sales, but then hackers/cheaters could easily keep getting new serial keys to get into ALL servers. Disabling A2F players' abilities to join servers would just lead to a negative effect at that time because nobody in their right mind would keep allowing the free players to come in. Then all the Free players would complain that they have no servers to play on.

Dwarden, thank you for your reply.

However, I think the solution to the problem of the cheater going both sides is pretty simple, as I've presented. Allow one IP to join just one side.

BTW, does anything prevent such cheats on A2:F right now?

Finally, if someone is really desperate to cheat, they'll buy two copies of CO and ruin the game anyway.

So, all in all, I don't see how letting A2:F onto CO servers makes much negative impact. And the positives are significant, in my opinion.

Dwarden, thank you for your reply.

However, I think the solution to the problem of the cheater going both sides is pretty simple, as I've presented. Allow one IP to join just one side.

BTW, does anything prevent such cheats on A2:F right now?

Finally, if someone is really desperate to cheat, they'll buy two copies of CO and ruin the game anyway.

So, all in all, I don't see how letting A2:F onto CO servers makes much negative impact. And the positives are significant, in my opinion.

The IP thing won't work at all. Changing your IP isn't rocket science.

Agreed, but it's not trivial either. It's not like you install TOR and you're ready to go. You'd need to set up a VPN or sth. And if someone really wants to cheat, they'll just buy a second copy of CO and there's no stopping them, no matter what you do.

I think A2F is great at it is. I see it as essentially being a huge hands-on demonstration for what the Armaverse can offer. If a person is impressed by what they see and enjoy the gameplay, then by all means they can choose to purchase the full version of CO, etc.

Agreed, but it's not trivial either. It's not like you install TOR and you're ready to go. You'd need to set up a VPN or sth. And if someone really wants to cheat, they'll just buy a second copy of CO and there's no stopping them, no matter what you do.

Cheaters can do that, but that wouldn't make them hackers ;)

Actual hackers would just [not going to post this here, because I could get banned]

;)

I don't agree with the OP and here is my constructive criticism. I like the way they made A2 Free version for new players because it shows the basic gameplay, the scale of the game and a free editor to make your own missions. I honestly wouldn't mind if countermeasures were added for A2 Free and A2 though they should have been in A2 from the beginning.in relation to everything else in OA, I hope they don't add OA content anytime soon, as it would be too soon to do the same to OA. Many people who bought the game at full price will be angry that they would've made OA multiplayer Free so soon.

The most appealing thing in A2F is the editor, and I think it stays true to A2 and A2:OA.

A2F servers will probably rise soon.

I'll disagree with a part of the OP.

BIS doesn't need to give OA content in A2F, they just need to make A2F work with OA so there's no excuse for OA-only players anymore.

I thoroughly agree with this idea. Something like an ArmA II lite, like the BAF and PMC have done. It would increase utilization of CO more.

There are only two kinds of ArmA II players. Those who bought the game and those who teamkill.

Holding off on allowing free players onto OA would be wise.

Right now the Arma 2 servers with the free players is TK hell with a few poor guys

with the free version who are really excited about playing and learning the game

but are shocked at what they are seeing and the paid players trying desperatly

to explain to them thats it's not really like this normally.

The servers set up for the free players are in desperate need of admins to be present

to ban the assholes.

I spent some time trying to teach people but ended up spending more time dodging

roadkillers and respawning.

Right now the Arma 2 servers with the free players is TK hell with a few poor guys

with the free version who are really excited about playing and learning the game

but are shocked at what they are seeing and the paid players trying desperatly

to explain to them thats it's not really like this normally.

Yeah I noticed the same things. Complete chaos. I took me 4 tries just to get out of a base on one occassion, because the helicopters where shot at all the time. This isnt bringing in new players to enjoy the game - its scaring everybody but the griefers away.

Hell if I was more inclined to conspiratory thoughts, I think Bohemia released Arma 2 Free to scare all those that only bought Arma 2 into buying Operation Arrowhead instead. I'm onto you! :plain:

Damn this is bad bad news.

I am after getting a new pc just to run a dedi server for me and my mates so I wont have to put up with this rubbish.

But of course this still don't help that now we have a load of idiots intentionally spamming ARMA because they have not had to invest any money into it.

That team-kill news sounds really bad. (And it shows the wisdom of not doing Free for Combined Ops servers - at least initially.) But that just means BI must add more sophisticated policing features to servers ASAP to help admins deal with this mess.

Like auto-ban after 2 or 3 TKs. Or allow for banning based not only on nick names or serial keys, but on IP addresses. Or disable friendly fire in the main base (in AAS mode) or in close proximity of factories/HQ in Warfare. Or allow admins to nominate certain trusted players as "moderators" with rights of kicking and banning. These are just some of the obvious ideas.

EDIT:

By the way, this TK debacle just underscores my larger point from the original post: the meaning of community. I wish I could point people interested in Arma to some place, like an "open clan", where they could get some introductory help, a safe environment and a way to organize into larger groups of strangers to play together. (As opposed to a regular clan, which is a closed community and where n00bs are frowned upon.) I think this is the way to go for more sophisticated (and demanding) multi-player games. (And thoughts on this topic haunt me for some months now, so maybe I should eventually write a blog post or sth with some more unsolicited smart-ass advice for game developers. ;))

Edited by axure

But that just means BI must add more sophisticated policing features to servers ASAP to help admins deal with this mess.

Its what A2 should have had from the start, but I dont think they will put effort into it.

Properly scripted missions CAN fix the TK issue - auto-kick anyone firing at the base. But most people have moved to OA, mission updates will probably take a while.

Its what A2 should have had from the start, but I dont think they will put effort into it.

Properly scripted missions CAN fix the TK issue - auto-kick anyone firing at the base. But most people have moved to OA, mission updates will probably take a while.

We can't kick via scripting anymore. Best we can do is disable somebody's input (causing them to have to alt-tab and close the game) or they can get sent back to the lobby.

We can't kick via scripting anymore. Best we can do is disable somebody's input (causing them to have to alt-tab and close the game) or they can get sent back to the lobby.

Not anymore since when? I've seen a few Domination servers that auto-kick for excessive shooting at base. Or is it that only OA can do it and not A2?

The IP thing won't work at all. Changing your IP isn't rocket science.

No it isn't, but that doesn't really have anything to do with allowing one ip to join only one side.

If a restriction like that is in place you'd need to connect with 2 ip's to cheat in that way. That isn't as trivial to do.

Does anybody know, whether there are the tutorial misions delivered in A2 Free ? When these are missing, then it´s not really surprising that peopel behave totally clueless, especially when you never got in touch with a mil sim game.

Tutorials would be heavily dependent upon game mode, since ArmA is so scriptable. Also, there are gamemode/mission notes in the briefing.

The largest complaint is the TKing that's going on, but it turns out these froobs are doing it on purpose. No "tutorial" can fix it, unless it's a good spanking.

Only allowing one user per IP would unfortunately prevent people playing online together with friends and family on the same connection, at home or a 'net cafe'.

Couldn't this be made happen by including OA content with a scope setting that prevents it from showing up in the editor? Since they can't use user made mods they shouldn't be able to get it?

I still don't understand how people play OA-Only multiplayer, the Takis are just so underpowered and useless compared to the mighty bluefor.

It's supposed to be asymmetric - increase Opfor numbers. But this can be hard to do, so for me I rebalance it by what I give Blufor. The default Opfor FN-FAL 7.62 battle rifle packs a whole lot more punch than the puny Mk16 5.56 assault rifle.

Given that we can't have civilians (at least in my mission) occupy the AO, and the fact that pretty much everyone engages at (too far) distance rather than get up close and personal with the enemy, I don't allow TWS weapons either except for the spotter and Javelin guy (using the CDU). And cal 7.62 only for the guys that are supposed to stay in the rear, and specops. With TWS and the game setup I use, you can pretty much shoot at anything white - ridiculous.

I really dislike missions that gives no thought on the hardware it provides, and how it can create some really bad balancing issues. Not every mission has to be a showcasing mission.

Also since no of the A2 content is upgraded (Backpacks and TI maps for units, all weapon scopes are NVG compatible) I can't really use that either. But it depends on the mission. I can have a USMC based non nvg/tws (old school) night mission on Utes without problem :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Does anybody know, whether there are the tutorial misions delivered in A2 Free ? When these are missing, then it´s not really surprising that peopel behave totally clueless, especially when you never got in touch with a mil sim game.

There are plenty of tutorials available on Youtube, some of which are linked from the Arma 2 website.

The TK'ing I'm seeing is very deliberate.

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 AM ----------

Only allowing one user per IP would unfortunately prevent people playing online together with friends and family on the same connection, at home or a 'net cafe'.

It's just a big demo so if people like it and want to play they can buy it.

Something needs to be in place to stop or at least slow down the influx of morons intent on ruining the game for people.

Combined operations has dropped to $29 or less in North America.