Sign in to follow this  
airwalkerdnb

Help with Steam version of Arma II: OA

I have the Steam version of the operation arrowhead expansion for arma II, patched up to 1.59 recently. Ive been playing around with the editor for some weeks now and still cannot find the directory which every tutorial mentions to place scripts such as init.sqs etc. I also notice that other people tutorials specify a long command line path under program files to install custom scripts to, but I cant find this. The steam version has its own directory under steamapps/common but its small and doesnt have any of the other folders that the tutorials describe. Does the steam version limit what you can access and edit? Am I looking in the wrong place? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :(

Scripts are put into Documents\Arma 2 Other Profiles\playername\missions\missionname.

All files for missions unless otherwise specified by a mission maker will go in the same folder as the mission,

and the mission location will be the path that Celery above indicated.

Are you building your own mission? or trying to install a mission you downloaded?

Yeah I am building my own missions, I had a horrid thought that Steam had packed all of the editable content away in a gcf file, but thanks for the advice, found it the directory now. Can start scripting :)

Ok, Ive just realised that on that path name you mentioned, mine is different. I dont have "other profiles" or "player name", just missions/missionname. Tried to make some briefings and cant get them to come up in game. Frustrating :(

Ok, Ive just realised that on that path name you mentioned, mine is different. I dont have "other profiles" or "player name", just missions/missionname. Tried to make some briefings and cant get them to come up in game. Frustrating :(

try creating a new profile and see if that gives a folder, if so, try renaming the "new" folder to your regular nick.

also im not sure, but go in editor with new profila and place one unit in map and save it as whatever, (not export) then search your computer for a folder with whatever in its name.

edit: im on win 7, im using sprocket/hardcopy of arma, my missions are saved here:

C:\Users\DP490\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\myInGameNick\missions

Edited by Demonized

Yeah that seemed to work! I now have Arma 2 Other Profiles and it saved the mission folder as soon as I created it in the editor...now to see if it will accept my init.sqf and briefing.sqf

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Fail. I wrote the documents correctly, but the game doesn't seem to want to call them from the mission folder, am I doing something wrong? Do I have to write any code in the init field of the players unit to get the briefing to come up at the start?