Sign in to follow this  
snowmirage

Respawn to next AI on death?

I am sure this is mentioned on this form some place but I'm not sure exactly what to call it so having a hard time finding it.

My friends and I have made a few missions using the wizard editor and if we start with a group of say 5 in a squad when one of us dies they will "respawn" as one of the AI.

I just created a new mission using the standalone editor which is more complex, and I am looking to have the same effect.

I dont want any units to respawn, but I have 12 or so "playable" units on our team in various squads and when one of my friends or I die I want us to take over control of the next AI.

If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I might have found it.....?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96084&highlight=squad+member

Respawn...

Line in a file description.ext

respawn = RespawnType;

respawnDelay = DelayInSeconds;

respawnVehicleDelay = DelayInSeconds;

respawnDialog = 0; // Show the scoreboard and respawn countdown timer for a player if he is killed with respawnType 3. Default is 1 (true).

RespawnType Description

0 or "NONE" No respawn

1 or "BIRD" Respawn as a seagull

2 or "INSTANT" Respawn just where you died.

3 or "BASE" Respawn in base. Requires a marker named:

respawn_west

respawn_east

respawn_guerrila

respawn_civilian

Add markers named with the prefix 'respawn_west' with any suffix (eg: respawn_westABC, respawn_west1, respawn_west_2, etc) for multiple random respawn points. Similarly for east, guerrila and civilian.

Vehicle respawn in base requires a marker named:

respawn_vehicle_west

respawn_vehicle_east

respawn_vehicle_guerrila

respawn_vehicle_civilian

4 or "GROUP" Respawn in your group (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull).

5 or "SIDE" Respawn into an AI unit on your side (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull) - implemented in ArmA 1.08: with this respawn type, team switch is also available to any AI controlled playable units.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Looks like I need to find that file "description.ext" and add

respawn = 5;

my MPmission folder under my arma directory is empty however hmm....

continuing my search

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Under my documents I found my mission files, I do not see a description.ext file however only a mission.sqm file

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Looks like its not created by default, created the file I'll let you know if it works

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Looks like that did it, using respawn=5; on death I get a popup where I can choose which unit to switch to

hopefully the post helps someone else figure it out as well.

Congrats on figuring it out! description.ext is a bit of a mystery for many people.