Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

BFBC2 sounds are far better and closer to reality then ARMA. The soundfiles themselves arent particularly realistic but the sound engine creates the real booming sound while ARMA just sounds pop gun and tinny and lacks depth.

It's the sound samples that are good in BC2, the actual engine is frankly shit.

Sample = actual sound file

Engine = how a sample is distorted and delayed depending on various things; how many samples can play at once

Edited by Celery

the main problem with the sounds of older weapons are the samples used not the sound engine in ARMA

well, so if this is the problem they can fix it. :p

Edited by Choki

among the new things that will bring ArmA 3 is this.

The game will feature more powerful sounds , similar to popular sound mods.

Not perfect but it is progress. What will change in the sound of the game?

The AK-74 causes widespread hearing damage to its users. Go fire one in game, hear the sound that resembles someone breaking a small twig in half, and tell me you can really imagine that being what you hear in real life.

If you've fired an AK before, then yeah that's what you'll be hearing in real life. :P

On topic, big game. Huge maps, lots of weapons, realistic physics, full on wildlife simulator, and multiplayer that doesn't degenerate into ye olde quickscoping snipers from opposite ends of the map ala CS Source/CoD. For what you get it's pretty good. Simply being open to mods these days is a big thing which in itself is worth the odd bug or a realism complaint. If the sounds a truly the most horrible thing you've ever heard and you know a better milsim than ArmA, please let me know. Otherwise make a thread asking for more sounds, and then pay for the privilege by buying the game and all expansion packs (Including PMC :P). And by "the game", I mean every ArmA released, unless it's Codemasters only content, you can skip that.

There isn't actually anything wrong with the Arma sounds, they're closer to reality than any of the games mentioned above by the way.

What it sounds like all of you are after is the traditional hollywood-type bs that most other games employ to make them sound like movies.

To me it boils down to how it make me feel, not how "realistic" it is. I'm using JSRS and loving it. Why? Because the sounds greatly help me feel afraid, something the stock sounds doesn't do at all. Which is important since due to being a video game it cannot feel 100% realistic wrt fear. The stock sounds may be "realistic", I don't know, although I have heard videos from nearby snaps that are far more violent than the stock ones, which are also repetitive and boring. But hearing incoming rounds in my direction in real life would make me afraid. I need to feel that fear, also ingame, in order to truly immerse myself.

Even if I think some of the "action games" sounds are better, they don't really make me fear for my life due to the nature of these games. So in these cases, the sound doesn't really help much at all. In arma, I know they would - for me anyways.

To me it boils down to how it make me feel, not how "realistic" it is. I'm using JSRS and loving it. Why? Because the sounds greatly help me feel afraid, something the stock sounds doesn't do at all.

^^this !

Ok.

here http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/285-scanning-the-horizon-arma-3-in-2012

they solved the anims, UI, AI, Multiplayer,DirectX 10/11;PhysX,rag-doll,visuals and graphics and more. But NOTHING about sound. is one of the weakest points of the game

they should add to the team to LordJarhead. The creator of the mod J.S.R.S he actually improved to its limits the limited game sound

Really?

To kick things off, we're in the process of putting together a couple of developer's blogposts starting with sound recordings and our field trip to Limnos.

Really?

ups. When I read that for the first time I understood that they were recordings of the developer's. But they dont seem to give them much importance, they said the same in ARMA 2. Time will tell when gameplay videos come out.

This game Also need something like http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6092

Dynamic Sound AI

Edited by Choki

Ok.

here http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/285-scanning-the-horizon-arma-3-in-2012

they solved the anims, UI, AI, Multiplayer,DirectX 10/11;PhysX,rag-doll,visuals and graphics and more. But NOTHING about sound. is one of the weakest points of the game

they should add to the team to LordJarhead. The creator of the mod J.S.R.S he actually improved to its limits the limited game sound

I'm looking forward to new sounds as much as the next guy and looking at all the confirmed features, lighting..etc..I have no doubt the new sounds will be proper HI samples in A3. The only sound that was IMO right was the M24 in A2...

I believe that the sound shouldn't be such a bigish problem like some of you guys think. It's just not a big priority (in my oppinion). Besides (for all those huge fanatics) if you want realistic sounds, get your ass behind a tank and start recording from several possible positions, situations, locations, and send it to BIS.

P.S.: Don't take this the wrong way, I love you guys!

No. That would sound horrible, even with the professional grade recording equipment... I've explained earlier, it's a thing of perception. You can't just record AK-47 being fired and play that sound in the game because it will sound nothing like it's real counterpart. The only thing you can do is digitally imitate and create an illusion that you're hearing AK-47 being fired...

-Stereo sounds for weapons and vehicles estimated to use around 50 samples for their engine and exhaust, and 20 samples for the wheels on differing terrain.

-New system of hearing weapon reports at different ranges, with distance attenuation and filtering.

BIS is making a great job to improve the sound engine

Hi, i'd always found the weapon sounds too weak and most of the vehicle ones too; you can turn up your speakers 'til that each shot hurts... but still weak sounds. A 5.56 still annoying when you've the face pasted to the AR stock and same with the .12 shotgun shells, it isn't that loud with the 9x19 as it's at a certain distance of your nose overall when you're not inside a house or confined space that then can be annoying and depending on the fire volume... distracting.

The fire of a 5.56 AR isn't almost noticeable when you fire it under the blades of a UH-1N, i guess that is worst under a HH-60 or fatter birds... don't know if the existing ArmAs sounds are from the damn CS... but i agree in that they're poor and overall weak, you don't feel that you're firing something that can kill. Let's C ya

It's not the sounds themselves that makes ArmA 2 sounds weak, it's the sound engine. It's too basic, and doesn't add post processing effects that makes BF3 and BC2 sound awesome. When I play ArmA, I feel like I play one of those 1998 games again.

the sounds in battlefield are preprocessed not rendered live. normal cpus cant handle this. you can hear thiswhen you enter a room. a step outside, an outside shoot sound a step inside an inside shoot sound. no blending, no real time rendering. but yes the record quality of the guns in bf3 is great. also the vehicles. but its very expensive. and non professional often overdo it that the sounds are too much in the right direction - they are wrong again then.

sound is much harder than many may think.

there are positioning render engines otu there. already working for rooms. you can locate a sound source only with ears. its like physx only for sound. hopefully will make it into 3d shooters one day.. maybe a decade or so.. with sound it takes so long often. because its expensive and dont look good in magazines -.-

but as we are living brains with two eyes and two ears.. sound is nearly half there experience.. its not represented in game budgets where maybe sound is only 5-10% of the costs..

and dont be fooled. dolby surrond is all bollocks. wrong. we have exactly two ears. thats enough for precise positioning of a sound. and much better quality than that surround junk.

i hope the designers dont follow this false surround route.

why can we distinct sounds so precise with only 2 ears? easy but long to explain. it works and can be simulated. but with surround its harder and worse in the quality.

with two 500$ active speakers its okay to find the sweet spot. but with 6 crappy 400$ completely different passive speakers? its near impossible. the more often the sound gets filtered and doubled for these many speakers the worse the quality gets.

and most people use even more cheaper stuff. = bad sound quality.

test it: use headphones and compare to your speaker. the more the difference the worse the speaker setting is. The setting includes the room.

Edited by tremanarch

there are positioning render engines otu there. already working for rooms. you can locate a sound source only with ears. its like physx only for sound. hopefully will make it into 3d shooters one day.. maybe a decade or so.. with sound it takes so long often. because its expensive and dont look good in magazines -.-

With the advent of the EAX system and games that actually made use of it (e.g. Thief), I actually thought that it was only going to get better. Sadly, support for such "nonsense" and older games that once utilized it has been dropped years ago and more often than not, the only settings you see in games are volume sliders.

yes EAX was such a kind of PhysX in the nineties. I remember having it with the creative Soundblasters.

the idea was good, but some games overdid it. Too much hall effect. too abrupt etc. But yes it was a step in the right direction.

I am not much into Game developement. But I guess it is hard to push things nowadays. Everything costs money. Just one good SOund system could be written in one time and afterwards used for many years. Because there is not much change in Sound really as there isnt in physics right?( lets wait for the LHC findings of the higgs boson :D). (there is sample quality and the behaviour of sounds when played in various "rooms" and travel speed of different frequencies)

Maybe some open sound interface will get written one day and can then be lincensed free or so..

At least for me as a "sound maker" it is hard to hear overused sounds. I know many commercial products such as films using the same sound library with sounds that are sometimes 20 years old. it is horrible ;) (not saying arma did use some, it was just an example. and I dont think arma used cs sounds ;) they sound more crappy :D - I dont like this thread title by the way.. arma sounds arent so bad really.

When I was a Developer I would try to not overdo it, just make some good recordings and try to be a little bit tricky with the sound like BF3 did it. Quite clever they are.. They used some subtle compression here and there. When a loud gun sound is firing the other sounds are ducking, and then when silence is coming back they get louder again.. just a cheap compressor with longer release... And even that was expensive I guess.

I would love if Sound designers would share their findings and their sound sources somehow. But thats idealistic ;)

Edited by tremanarch

Problem in EAX was somehow locality, when i remind correctly. To every sample played the

current EAX effect acording to the players position was played. That was sometimes

wrong. If you listened a firefight going on inside a Building from outside for example,

you heared your enviromental FX instead of the FX from inside.

The vanilla sound effects aren't the real problem, it's the lack of sound dynamics, such as reverberation, delay, phasing of multiple sounds that are the same, etc.

When I shoot a gun in a valley, I want to hear the echoes; When I shoot a gun at close quarters, I want to hear the increased reverb.

That would be a great feature.

Really?

really!

BTW... i can confirm that the sounds are actually stereo now.

And that is a improvement yes?

Yes but the idea is pay for a full game, not a made game by mods like A2

The mods are what make the ArmA games, so your point is asinine.

Obviously you know the pain of trying to join servers with correct mods and/or mod versions, mods greatly enhance the game but they don't make it, and not everyone buying the product will care about modding it, or even signing up on this forum to bitch/moan/beg like the rest of us, would be an interesting stat.

So game should be optimized out of the box, especially if AK74s are going to be in the game!

And you have completely missed the point. It would not be necessary for 'mods to make the game' if basic features like the sound engine receieved anywhere near the attention they deserve.

I don't get the 'it doesnt matter, mods will fix it' attitude some people seem to have.

Honestly, what's wrong with getting it right, right out of the box? It can't seem right to you for a game to require mods to fix problems? Mods should add onto a game, provide a new experience, not mop up after developer mistakes and shortcomings.

I really hope I won't have to resort to a soundmod like I have to with ArmA 2, because it's just a hassle. It should sound great right out of the box. And this goes for every other aspect of the game too. I love mods, but I don't want to need them.