Sign in to follow this  
High Def Dave

Xbox 360 Controller

Hi im looking to set my xbox 360 controller up to play ARMA2 need some help getting started if possible, dont mind using a combo of key board and controller, Thanks

Dave...........................

Hi im looking to set my xbox 360 controller up to play ARMA2 need some help getting started if possible, dont mind using a combo of key board and controller, Thanks

Dave...........................

I use controller mouse combo myself, then you get analogue movement and superior mouse aim. It is win win.

Prepare for the keyboard monkeys coming in and dissing you any minute now.

I use Xpadder to set up a profile for Arma, deosn't need much, just key assigned to triggers if you want to use them. I actually use the left trigger to fire and use my mouse for the prone and kneel commands.

You will also need to set up wasd on the left stick or you get some hassle with the parachute controls, the analogue still works fine for ordinary movement though.

D pad I use up and down to cycle through forward and back on the menus. Left to cancel and right to accept.

I also have left doubled up for switching gun fire modes/grenades etc.

I have the back button for bringing up the map and the start button for my GPS.

Y button I use for exiting or ejecting from vehicles.

My G700 mouse has plenty of buttons that I use for ads, hold breathe, reload, switch sights, zoom in and out as well as up and down on sight zeroing.

I only ever need the keyboard for selecting and ordering units around and for typing messages in game.

Edited by Liquidpinky

Arma 2 supports the X360 controller by default, go to the control options, and there's a button called "Set up controllers" or something (I'm at work right now. Gotta love staying busy). Click it, and select the controller on the bottom half of the window, and hit enable. You should start seeing the Xbox buttons show up on the menu windows through the game if it worked correctly.

I mostly use the mouse and keyboard, and there's still a lot of stuff you'll need the keyboard for when you use the controller, but I haven't found a better solution for piloting, driving armor, or controlling the turrets on vehicles.

Cheers guys ill check that out, I know that people say key board and mouse win over controllers but im a console player and just bought this pc just to play this game, so i feel more at home with a controller in my hands lol....................Thanks

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Ok Ive just checked the options control panal and it's not listing 360 to enable it, it's empty?..................

Can someone confirm if im right here ive done a bit of research & am thinking why it's not pickin up the controller in arma2, because im using a wireless pad with the plug and play kit.

So does this mean i need a wired controller for it to reconize in the controls page, my PC reconizes it but thats all?

I am using a wireless one with no problems, did you install the proper driver for it?

Can someone confirm if im right here ive done a bit of research & am thinking why it's not pickin up the controller in arma2, because im using a wireless pad with the plug and play kit.

I assume that you mean you're trying to use the 'play and charge kit' to connect your pad to a pc. The play and charge kit is only for recharging the battery. You need a wireless usb receiver to use a wireless Xbox 360 pad on pc.

Wizearm is correct: If you're using a wireless controller, I'm pretty sure you need some kind of bluetooth adapter to communicate from the controller to your PC. I got my wired controller for 25 bucks on Newegg.com a couple of years ago, and it's still going strong (And I've never had to buy a single battery!), so if you can swing 20 or 35 bucks, I'd just buy the wired one.

I got my wired controller for 25 bucks on Newegg.com a couple of years ago, and it's still going strong (And I've never had to buy a single battery!)

Wired? Batteries? Time for a morning coffee! :D

I assume that you mean you're trying to use the 'play and charge kit' to connect your pad to a pc. The play and charge kit is only for recharging the battery. You need a wireless usb receiver to use a wireless Xbox 360 pad on pc.

Yep, there is a specific one for the controller available.

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/766/766466p1.html

Wired 360 controller here. I always go wired, don't trust wireless :) I guess there is a reason there is a specific 360 type controller for the PC.

Liquidpinky, I'm liking the sound of your controller setup. One question - can you get analogue movement control on a foot soldier? Or is it still on/off movement?

Liquidpinky, I'm liking the sound of your controller setup. One question - can you get analogue movement control on a foot soldier? Or is it still on/off movement?

The analogue movement control is still there, even with WASD set up in Xpadder.

Can't remember my exact config in game though, may have removed WASD from the infantry movement bindings. WASD are needed for the parachutes to steer properly in OA but not in A2, been a mix up by BIS at some point with the HALO perhaps.

Ok cheers guys that explains a lot then, managed to get a shot of a wired controller from my brother in law so will check that out once I get home from work & buy myself 1 if it does work.................

)rStrangelove;1939134']Wired? Batteries? Time for a morning coffee! :D

I was implying that if he bought a wireless controller, he would have to buy batteries for it, vs my wired controller which runs off USB. :)