Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Realism is subjective... it really depends on the dog. :D

ahaha ok ok ok... is a subjective thing ... :-)

But maybe not everyone ... :-P

Edited by Max Power
please do not quote images or videos

Also, since we have attachments we can take on and off, does that mean we can pickup normally scoped rifles without a scope? ex: a CZ550 found in an ammo crate and then it's scope somewhere down there?
TL;DR answer: For any long gun with a "modern style" (Picatinny, Weaver, etc.) rail the answer is yes. For those with proprietary/older style mounts such as the old AK/SVD side rail, the answer is less clear -- although to be uniform about it, the game could just assume that every long gun that you're likely to find will have a Picatinny rail somehow.

For example, considering that there's actually quite a few Russian optics side rail/plate designs, Modern Warfare 3's modelers ended up attaching to the "AK-47", "AK-74u" and SVD's side rail... an above-the-receiver Picatinny rail. This is realistic. :p There are also different designs such as top-of-the-handguard optic rails, or replacing the dust cover with an integral rail.

Likewise, there are real-world claw mounts that clamp a Picatinny rail to the top of a MP5... so Modern Warfare 3 just has all of its MP5s have one (plus handguard rails).

Oh, and the CZ 550? Yes, there's rails for that too. :p

Edited by Chortles

ahaha ok ok ok... is a subjective thing ... :-)

But maybe not everyone ... :-P

blackhole

Please do not quote images or videos. Thanks.

§14) Remove tags when quoting a post containing an image or embedded video

If you quote a post that contains an image please remove the image tag or the whole image, it helps keep the thread tidy and easier to read if the same image isn't being posted repeatedly, you need only delete one [ to stop the image from hotlinking. If the post contains an embedded video such as YouTube you should remove the tags so the image of the video is not shown in your quote.

TL;DR answer: For any long gun with a "modern style" (Picatinny, Weaver, etc.) rail the answer is yes. For those with proprietary/older style mounts such as the old AK/SVD side rail, the answer is less clear -- although to be uniform about it, the game could just assume that every long gun that you're likely to find will have a Picatinny rail somehow.

Sure, there are rail attachments, but they aren't that common. CZ 550 does well with it's proprietary scope, and since it's hunting rifle, nobody would bother with mounting a Pictanny rail on top of it. For MP5, it makes sense to mount a holographic sight on such a clamp, but I don't think that all MP5s on Lemnos would have such an attachment.

Of course, if it'd be possible to "stack" attachments, it should be possible to make a Pictanny rail clamp an another attachment (I don't think that'd be possible though).

Sure, there are rail attachments, but they aren't that common. CZ 550 does well with it's proprietary scope, and since it's hunting rifle, nobody would bother with mounting a Pictanny rail on top of it. For MP5, it makes sense to mount a holographic sight on such a clamp, but I don't think that all MP5s on Lemnos would have such an attachment.
In which case you may simply have any CZ 550s in the game come with a scope if "ring-mounted" scopes are treated as an exception to the 'rails for everybody' rule -- underbarrel attachments are still ARMA 2 style or (in the case of the Magpul Angled Fore Grip) cosmetic -- or you may simply find weapons with aftermarket rails (treated as integral to the weapon as with ARMA 2) but as you speculated with the attachment separate.

What Steakslim describes in the post above mine is in fact what I was thinking of -- "not every MP5 found in the Limnos wilderness may have a holographic sight attached, but they may well all (for gameplay simplicity) have clamped-on optics rails."

Of course, if it'd be possible to "stack" attachments, it should be possible to make a Pictanny rail clamp an another attachment (I don't think that'd be possible though).
While that's probably not intended (remember, only three attachment slots in the inventory UI) and thus probably not simulated... it's possible in real life.

I imagine that people would want attachment stacking at some point, and someone will eventually do this (ACE, for instance). For example, putting the additional attachment "on top" of the main one in the inventory. Would work for clamps, but also for stacking sights on top of another (which is most definitively doable IRL).

Mmmmmm, HOLO+ACOG+Red dot w/flashlight and IR laser pointer. That must make one tacticool MX 6.5mm.

Also, does this mean BIS might add attachable clamps for weapons which are lacking in them?

Is it confirmed that story/campain can be done in coop over internet/lan?

It will not be possible in A3 to play the campaign in coop.

Edited by Papanowel

Is it confirmed that story/campain can be done in coop over internet/lan?

Has been decided against for stability and quality control reasons. They will probably have coop missions shipped with the game relating to the campaign, though. Pity, but it´s okay, at least for me, since I am not a multiplayer person.

Last thing I heard on the subject being confirmed are:

"No singleplayer AND co-operative compatable campaign."

Meaning if there even is (or will come) a co-operative campaign, it'll be seperate from singleplayer.

Is any confirmation about the correct holo optic sight? I hope it wont be the same like in A2(static crosshair).

Is any confirmation about the correct holo optic sight? I hope it wont be the same like in A2(static crosshair).

GC demo had painted sights for holo/aimpoint sights still, I think this is an engine limitation and will not be changed.

GC has different engine, it's not ArmA technology.

I think he meant the

and not whatever "GC" you think he meant. :)

You mean CC (Carrier Command). I am talking about the Gamescom convention (GC) in Cologne that took place in August. I was there and played the Arma 3 demo, and talked with Gaia at length about various features of the game.

So unfortunately, the painted sight reticules are going to stay, unless the devs have something up their sleeve that hasn´t been disclosed yet. I am doubtful, however.

I know Iron Front achieved collimators in planes. How'd they do that?

ironically it would be nice to see Arma3 ported to Unity engine too ;)

Does anyone had anymore informations on the ARMA3?

Have weapon's reliability been modeled? Windtage? Ironsight range marks?

Can we get a Russian or Chinese Campaign without political biase? Just want to fight in a eastern faction for a change.

No, there's not really been more information on ARMA 3 since Gamescom; in fact the only post I've seen from a dev ever since the Greek situation was pettka on... something. But none of what you described has even been mentioned by BI at any point for ARMA 3.

The ArmA3 dev team have gotten scarily quiet...not a shred of new info, no screen shots, no video, only thing new we know of is that the alpha got pushed to atleast december =(.