Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

From what I recall, attached accessories in the Gamescom build were parenthesed after the weapon name, i.e. "MX 6.5mm (ACO, Suppressor)" or "MX-3GL 6.5mm (ARCO, Laser)"; the latter is because the underbarrel appears to NOT be simulated as an attachment point, hence it's still "old style" when it comes to underbarrel grenade launchers. (As another example, the Magpul AFG is modeled on a standard MX 6.5mm but is not among the three attachment slots in the current ARMA 3 builds.

M6 Sandstorm

Mk 17 Holo

Did I miss anything critical?

I wouldn't be so sure about the designations, Sandstorm is M5 and Holosight doesn't have any, as far s I can remember :icon_twisted:

this is a post

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

This is another post

This is an infraction, but welcome on the forums :icon_twisted:

.I haven't seen the HUD glasses as a separate item (only as a visual item on Capt. Miller's tactical eyewear)

I had doubts about eye-wear being separate in-game items before, but in

video Lord Ivan removed the item "Goggles" from the slot right next to the headgear (helmet,caps,etc) slot. That slot was always empty before. Edited by Maio

I had doubts about eye-wear being separate in-game items before, but in
video Lord Ivan removed the item "Goggles" from the slot right next to the headgear (helmet,caps,etc) slot. That slot was always empty before.
Incorrect -- that's "Diving Goggles" specifically that Ivan removed from the slot and 'dropped' onto the ground, not the HUD glasses.

Incorrect -- that's "Diving Goggles" specifically that Ivan removed from the slot and 'dropped' onto the ground, not the HUD glasses.

I talked about this with Gaia. The goggles, depending on the type, do not alter the UI, but give protection benefits. For example, if you remove the diving goggles while you are under water, your vision become blurry to simulate the saltwater burning in your eyes. The HUD glasses do not have any effect on the UI right now, this would be a "nice to have" feature, but low on the priority list. I would imagine protective eyewear makes you more resistant to injuries (flying shrapnel or riquochets, for example). I have seen photos of eyepro from soldiers in a-stan that deflected flying things.

Vests and Helmets already influence your protection levels, which is why I think the glasses do the same, if they don´t do anything else. I would imagine that with the new HDR and post-pro systems, we could also see working sunglasses. That´d be a nice thing.

That post was single-handedly more relevant to what's actually in ARMA 3 than anything in the "suppression" thread that wasn't posted by a BI dev... thank you, InstaGoat. I'm actually interested in the idea of "different statistical benefits" eyewear, does ARMA 3 eyewear (besides nightvision) have any appreciable weight, by which I mean enough-to-count-towards-Encumbrance?

How exactly will java work with ArmaIII, say i want to create a sound mod how would I do it if I have to use Java? I have a great Java for beginners tutorial but will I be able to make something in ArmaIII with just knowing Java.

How exactly will java work with ArmaIII, say i want to create a sound mod how would I do it if I have to use Java? I have a great Java for beginners tutorial but will I be able to make something in ArmaIII with just knowing Java.

Probably the same as you would in A2/A1/OFP. By just replacing the sounds, some configging may be needed, but no scripting, so you wouldnt need to touch java/sqf/sqs.

I wonder if the recent Java security scare will affect the decision to implement Java as an API.

I was trying to make a point that eye-wear is a separate in-game item.

I wonder if the recent Java security scare will affect the decision to implement Java as an API.

I reckon they are way to far down the path of development to change the games hard coding now, at least i kinda hope so, imagine how long a delay it would be if they did change it. In any case I think Oracle are releasing a new version with a fix for it as soon as Oct, and there is an optional download for just the fix right now.

Edited by Bigpickle

That post was single-handedly more relevant to what's actually in ARMA 3 than anything in the "suppression" thread that wasn't posted by a BI dev... thank you, InstaGoat. I'm actually interested in the idea of "different statistical benefits" eyewear, does ARMA 3 eyewear (besides nightvision) have any appreciable weight, by which I mean enough-to-count-towards-Encumbrance?

The weight/encumbrance system is being worked on, but was fully in place at GC. All items you carry, including your fatigues, vest, helmet, binocs, ammo, medkit, etc, counts towards your encumbrance. The fatigue system is gradual, so as you get more fatigued, you will turn unable to sprint, run, get reduced to a slow walk and possibly even collapse to the ground when you´re overloading yourself. There´s also a hard limit (representing the physical abillity of the individual). I didn´t have the time to find out wether or not this was dynamic and/or depending on Unit type, but I´d imagine that a soldier can carry more to a further distance than an untrained civilian.

I hope the system will work as well as was advertised at GC, and will be a pleasant surprise once the playable alpha hits the crowd.

So you have volume and weight?

Apparently so. Amount that can be carried also seemed to be limited by the type of load bearing system (amount of slots, basically). I couldn´t play around with it enough to test different vests (Only ones available were opfor webbings and crye cage vests with full plates.) to see if it did that, but I would expect this at the level of complexity they are aiming for with Arma 3. The inventory system and its management will become more important than they have been. People kitting themselves out with a SMAW, three rounds, eight 7.62 20 round mags and a DMR, armoured vest, helmet, NVGs and Binoculars will make them virtual cripples on the battlefield. More realistic loadouts like we see from afghanistan, where people sometimes are running around with as little as three magpouches and maybe a dump-bag and trauma kit and sideplates/neck protection removed to save weight will allow people to stay more mobile. What interests me is wether or not this fatigue system will be permanent, or difficulty dependent. I hope it will be permanent, so even the arcade servers stay on the side of realism.

Apparently so. Amount that can be carried also seemed to be limited by the type of load bearing system (amount of slots, basically). I couldn´t play around with it enough to test different vests (Only ones available were opfor webbings and crye cage vests with full plates.) to see if it did that, but I would expect this at the level of complexity they are aiming for with Arma 3. The inventory system and its management will become more important than they have been. People kitting themselves out with a SMAW, three rounds, eight 7.62 20 round mags and a DMR, armoured vest, helmet, NVGs and Binoculars will make them virtual cripples on the battlefield. More realistic loadouts like we see from afghanistan, where people sometimes are running around with as little as three magpouches and maybe a dump-bag and trauma kit and sideplates/neck protection removed to save weight will allow people to stay more mobile. What interests me is wether or not this fatigue system will be permanent, or difficulty dependent. I hope it will be permanent, so even the arcade servers stay on the side of realism.

That sounds awwesome!

I reckon they are way to far down the path of development to change the games hard coding now, at least i kinda hope so, imagine how long a delay it would be if they did change it. In any case I think Oracle are releasing a new version with a fix for it as soon as Oct, and there is an optional download for just the fix right now.

JVM support will be minimal if at all in A3. It is pretty much a confirmed dead feature from what you can read in the Take On forums.

JVM support will be minimal if at all in A3. It is pretty much a confirmed dead feature from what you can read in the Take On forums.

anyway its funny 2 have it anway :) some developer[of really complex mods/solutions/projects]consider than handy, for sure :-)

wonder if BIS include Erlang OTP support too ;=)

and upcoming Python/Perl/Ruby/TCL JIT/Runtimes ;-)

I would love a more "capable" language than SQF, for organizational reasons.

ACRE has over 40,000 lines of code spread across SQF, CPP, and HPP files in Arma (that is NOT including the TS3 plugin code). Having a more "mature" language and the trappings that come with it (like complex debugging tools) would be very nice.

On the other hand, we have 40,000 lines of code... Its not like we are looking to rewrite all that (any more than we already have/are).

I would love a more "capable" language than SQF, for organizational reasons.

ACRE has over 40,000 lines of code spread across SQF, CPP, and HPP files in Arma (that is NOT including the TS3 plugin code). Having a more "mature" language and the trappings that come with it (like complex debugging tools) would be very nice.

On the other hand, we have 40,000 lines of code... Its not like we are looking to rewrite all that (any more than we already have/are).

yeah, and most JIT-horsepowered thingies[thats include Java, .Net, ERlang, Ruby, Python for example/reference], also had compilers, that allow to translate/assemble bytecode into you arch/machine native binaries, nearly effortlessly ;=)

Cool one less thing for me to have to learn, but in another way one less thing that make A3 less different.

Nope. I was under that same impression when I first saw that pic, but someone pointed out that what appears to be the pistol grip is actually parte of the holster that is shinning due the angle with the sun. At GC videos you can see the soldier holstering the pistol and it vanishing into nothing.

But they have time until release... :j:

Nope. I was under that same impression when I first saw that pic, but someone pointed out that what appears to be the pistol grip is actually parte of the holster that is shinning due the angle with the sun. At GC videos you can see the soldier holstering the pistol and it vanishing into nothing.

But they have time until release... :j:

Well, its not a big deal anyway if they don't improve it. They should use more time on fixing and improving what makes an impact upon gameplay, like clunky controls, unresponsive ai in combat, shadow glitches and bad LOD transitions(they are really disturbing sometimes). But then again it shouldn't be to much of a hassle right?

Looking forward to the singleplayer campaign, hope it won't be too confusing! :cool:

You may want to change the Helicopter flight model to "no comment". Listen to this Podcast and go to 1 hour 19 mins where it is mentioned that it is not fully implemented and may not be..then he left it with a No Comment... Maybe physx 3 issues... who knows..everything is so quiet of late.

You may want to change the Helicopter flight model to "no comment". Listen to this Podcast and go to 1 hour 19 mins where it is mentioned that it is not fully implemented and may not be..then he left it with a No Comment... Maybe physx 3 issues... who knows..everything is so quiet of late.

I would like a confirmation from Overlord Damu since he is the head honcho of the project. :)

So uh... going outside the boundaries of my lovable and patient persona... What's with the radio silence BI? Do you hate your community that much? What are you trying to pull here? Do you expect us to buy a game with no info?!

I don't know about you guys... but I see this as an attempt by BI to make a quick buck... I remember back in the day when the only thing BI asked for their work was a thank you letter and tips on where to find nice looking castles... but nooo... now they want money... for their FUTURISTIC SOLID WASTE!!1112!1

Oh yeah I almost forgot... *moderator insult*