View Poll Results: Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?

Voters
490. This poll is closed
  • Yes

175 35.71%
  • No

315 64.29%
Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Steamworks, add it in or not?

Fine by me, Celery. I didn't suggest that Arma should use Steamworks though. I wouldn't mind it because I like Steam, but I realize many people would.

Warrant Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by KrAziKilla View Post
    Say NO to forced updates

Sigh....I hate when people say that Steam "forces" updates. They do not force updates; you can turn off automatic updates for any game you wish.
    "The greatest way to avenge your enemy is by learning to forgive." - Takashi Tanemori

always wondered about that image. and after some of the steam-fan-boy posts in this thread...i think i get it.

every Steam customer must get a free lobotomy as "thanks" for their stupidity.

Warrant Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbird View Post
    [imghttp://images.bit-tech.net/news_images/2009/11/valve-doesn-t-care-about-steamworks-boycott/article_img.jpg[/img]

always wondered about that image. and after some of the steam-fan-boy posts in this thread...i think i get it.

every Steam customer must get a free lobotomy as "thanks" for their stupidity.
    So, you're calling Steam customers stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Maruk View Post
    Steam is becoming very significant part of today's PC Gaming as well as it was crucial part of the success of Arma 2 / Operation Arrowhead.
    Steam sales were very important in the success of ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead.
    Last edited by Max Power; Jan 30 2012 at 23:10. Reason: Do not quote images

YES, I am calling you stupid. And is that quote supposed to make me melt and suddenly see Steam as the saviour of the PC gaming industry?

I am VERY glad that BIS gained a lot of sales from Steam. But Steam didn't invent digital distribution. The only thing they've invented is the idea that their customers do not own the games they purchase.

rainbird, you have received 2 infraction points for insulting other members. Please try to converse in a civil manner and don't post anything if you only intend to hate on somebody.

Steam doesn't force automatic updates, they're just ON by default after you install a game.

Right click on the game and you can disable automatic updates for each game.

You can also back up the patched game by doing the same thing.. right click.
    It'll back up the files and create an installer that you can burn on DVD if you like.

My only issues with Steam are

- Client sucks resources on some systems regardless of power of the CPU and available RAM.
    - Logging in can take forever somethimes
    - Games can fail to launch requiring several reboots or reinstalling to get them to go.

I have 2 games on Steam. Red Orchestra and Race On
    Race On refuses to launch 25% of the time and is sluggish on every system I've tried it on.

Steam just makes every system I've installed it on feel sluggish. Single/Duel/Quad-core's
    It's been this way since day 1, some people for whatever reason never have any issues with it.

Some programs just don't get along well with certain Hardware/Software/OS installations.
    Last edited by jblackrupert; Jan 30 2012 at 23:35.

Celery:

I'm not "hating" on anyone. He directly asked me if I thought he was stupid for buying Steam games. What was I supposed to do, lie and say he was clever?

and do what you wish with my account. they're cheap and disposable as you know.

Warrant Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbird View Post
    Celery:

I'm not "hating" on anyone. He directly asked me if I thought he was stupid for buying Steam games. What was I supposed to do, lie and say he was clever?

and do what you wish with my account. they're cheap and disposable as you know.
    Who said I was a Steam customer? I only said that you can disable automatic updates with Steam and asked "So, you're calling Steam customers stupid?" I didn't ask what you thought of me.

Yet, you insulted me by calling me stupid. As you can see here:

Quote Originally Posted by rainbird
    YES, I am calling you stupid.
    Oh, by the way, I am a Steam customer. I have no issues with them. I'll spend my money as I see fit. You live life once so enjoy everything you can. There is no need to insult someone just because they do something that you oppose. Steam does have some great deals you know, I get all giddy when I see "Sale" on their front page!
    Last edited by Nicholas; Jan 30 2012 at 23:41.

All that angry discussion, and you forget two things:
    1). Steam doesn't force you to play online, offline mode works fine (I don't know why people seem to have a problem with it).
    2). If you're smart, you get most of your games on Steam at 25% their normal price, and even that is lower than what you pay in store.

Steam does have it's drawbacks, but the amount of money saved using it is large enough that they shouldn't matter. Buying things on Steam at their full price is, of course, a waste of money, but you just need a little patience and you can pay a silly amount for what is otherwise quite expensive.

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast