Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

And no, I will not change my mind on release date and buy ArmA3. Wait and see. Ubisoft and EA still waiting for me to buy their always-on DRM, they can wait until the end of days.

I really am sorry to hear that. Is there a possibility that BIS elaborations on how exactly Steam would handle/effect addons and their makers would change your mind or is it truly set in stone?

If you don't want your mod on the workshop then report it. Valve does a great job of taking down uploads that break the rules. Users are Valves eyes on the workshop. I report skyrim mods all the time that I know are breaking copyrights/rules and you get an email from valve saying thanks for reporting these infringements. Even better it would be swell if you put your own stuff on there to combat fakes. It would be kind of a missed opportunity if they didn't include workshop support. Yeah it's a shame some websites could disappear but it is not bohemias responsibility to keep them going.

Edited by harlon

If you don't want your mod on the workshop then report it. Valve does a great job of taking down uploads that break the rules. Users are Valves eyes on the workshop. I report skyrim mods all the time that I know are breaking copyrights/rules and you get an email from valve saying thanks for reporting these infringements. Even better it would be swell if you put your own stuff on there to combat fakes. It would be kind of a missed opportunity if they didn't include workshop support. Yeah it's a shame some websites could disappear but it is not bohemias responsibility to keep them going.

I don't know much about steam and how it handles mods, but I really hope you are right, and BIS makes this clear.

Also I don't think there is any need for great sites like armaholic to disappear. I would definitely still love to use it for looking up the latest releases, seeing WIP reports, discussing scripting and modding, and getting news about the game. If they were truly put "out of business due to steam, maybe they could introduce new ideas to stay relevant. For example it would be awesome if Armaholic did official reviews on mods, or at least the major ones.

There are tens of thousands of people who like modding - now there's competition. Check this out - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/ Portal 2 has 244,155 mods! 244k! Sure, most of them are maps and redesigns of maps probably, but still. Skyrim is at 13.8k mods there.

Meh, Quantity isn't always a good thing. I bet the majority of those mods do not even come close to what is "standard" for arma 2 mods. And what the fuck! I thought you were banned...

Edited by -Coulum-

I don't know how this steam workshop works, but it could be like "what has been seen can not be unseen" for all i care. What i mean by that is: with unreal tournament for instance you could go into a server that had a certain map running and you didn't have that map, it would be automatically downloaded (and you would have that map to do whatever you wanted with it), this could very well be the same with mods for arma3 (i don't know how this works with steam). All i know is that i uploaded a 3d render to an obscure lightwave 3d newsgroup some 14 years ago and within a day it was on the frontpage of hardocp.com without my permission, thats how fast it can spread ( i stopped posting my images on line from that moment on). But i'm sure i'm just paranoid for having principles (call me old school if you want).

Great, Steam!! I suppose its a good thing it is not Origin.

I WILL NOT GET STEAM if Arma3 & that is a huge blow to me :(

I dont care to rent a game 'till some random crap shoots me down.:cylon:

I would have taken the Sprocket bullet with a boxed version & some complaining, but never will take Steam. :mad:

I cant help but feel BI are out of touch with this aspect of their consumer base, but then again since they are already bitch slapping down any (organized) opinion by the community so maybe they

know all to well. Seems that the first casualties claimed by Steam are already not allowed expression where it can be seen.

Is there a "ArmA3 + Steam? NO THANKS" group here in the forums? If not, would it be legit to have one?
I'm not a staff member, but as far as I know there isn't such a group in the forums. I would gladly join such a group.
I see no reason why you should not be allowed to create such a group. Just remember that the forum rules apply there too and we see (almost) everything. ;)

I strongly disagree with such draconian stances as I see no reason why such a group shouldn't be allowed or is there a poll planned?

*edit* VM is not allowed. :(

Edited by Panthro

I cant help but feel BI are out of touch with this aspect of their consumer base.

Assuming that the majority of their consumer base are even against using Steam, it doesn't sound like BIS really has a choice. Did you read the whole blog post?

http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/projects/357-arma-3-will-be-steam-exclusive

Edited by Praelium

Meh, Quantity isn't always a good thing. I bet the majority of those mods do not even come close to what is "standard" for arma 2 mods.

Quality is comparable. Oblivion/Skyrim mods/total conversions have always been outstanding - big titles often garner the attention of real professionals who are looking to get into the biz. TBH, apart from ACE 2 - I hadn't used any additional mods throughout ArmA II's lifespan.

And what the fuck! I thought you were banned...

Gooby pls. You wish. th_trollface.png

...maybe they could introduce new ideas to stay relevant. For example it would be awesome if Armaholic did official reviews on mods, or at least the major ones...
That was tried by a few well-meaning members a few years ago. It didn't work out too well...authors egos were bruised and the flame wars commenced.

End of experiment.

none of this affects the fact that I do not own steam and never will this simply means that I will not own Arma3, this is what I am upset about.

there is NO WAY available to use steam and protect my privacy and guarantee my investment. Would you buy a car if they said there is no way

they can guarantee they wont reclaim it without warning and due to no fault of their own.

The statement "most players come from Steam" is a little misleading when you look at the details, I'd like to see how many

of those steam players only ever played DayZ, well I am prepared to be proven wrong.

What BI is facing is pretty much what many small inde game studio(sometime even large engineering projects) facing really, logistic(having to deal with regional publishing + DRM requirements) and engineering problem(software development problems, Quality control, having hard time to keep things on deadlines, etc) comes at the same time with a sudden turns of event within the dev cycle when some key people are missing.

Its is not pretty, but if it is what that takes to have a quality wise and function wise satisfied product within a reasonable time, I don't think BI should have anything (aside from steam haters pissing off/ragequiting/not buying) to not go for it. It is sad, but some time it have to be done.

none of this affects the fact that I do not own steam and never will this simply means that I will not own Arma3, this is what I am upset about.

there is NO WAY available to use steam and protect my privacy and guarantee my investment. Would you buy a car if they said there is no way

they can guarantee they wont reclaim it without warning and due to no fault of their own.

The statement "most players come from Steam" is a little misleading when you look at the details, I'd like to see how many

of those steam players only ever played DayZ, well I am prepared to be proven wrong.

Actually I've noticed the amount of severs on Arma 2 increase since DayZ has been out.. and a lot of people have said that after trying dayz they tried the actual game and it's really fun.

Steam users now know about this game more (i knew about it a long time ago but my computer was a potato) they will invest their time and especially since people are getting sick of the whole COD clones, and everything else they want to try something new. Anyone who isn't willing to give steam a try is a bit ignorant and stubborn but I guess it's out of paranoia. I'm in no way trying to target anyone but Steam doesn't take your identity, investment, or privacy away from you at all nor does it ever send emails saying "BUY THIS!!". It's just that first thing you get when you double click your .exe file and you see the "Launch Game" button... Same thing

Steam is so big it's not going anywhere either.. I have had games in the past and i misplaced them and had hardware failures and guess what now i dont have those games but since I've used steam my games can always be downloaded and due to their cloud i cant lose my saved games either and that part is by choice by the way. I am not a steam fanyboy or anything but I do use it a lot since I have friends on their and it's convenient and safe.

I don't like this fact and I certainly wouldn't by a car under these conditions but a $50 game. For me it is worth the risk that the game will be reclaimed from me. i too would prefer not to have steam but I certainly won't let that stop me from "getting" arma 3.

That was tried by a few well-meaning members a few years ago. It didn't work out too well...authors egos were bruised and the flame wars commenced.

End of experiment.

I can see that happening. Well I am sure there are other things they could do to keep their relevance. Setting up Public MP schedules, providing scripting guides, Or simply having a Gallery with tons of cool vids and pictures collected by the community. I am sure with some brainstorming we could work away around many of negatives brought on by steam and actually turn it into a good thing... or at least something that doesn't ruin the game and community.

Assuming that the majority of their consumer base are even against using Steam, it doesn't sound like BIS really has a choice. Did you read the whole blog post?

this. call me gullible, but I think people should try to take it less personally. At first I felt pretty betrayed by them as well (They blatantly "ignored" several polls all with 2:1 ratio against steam) but it is important to understand that Arma 3 may not come out at all if it isn't for steam integration. They needed to do this.

I agree with you. I think, generally speaking, the more dedicated you are to arma the more you are likely to not have it on steam. The number of arma steam users probably far out numbers the number non steam arma users. It just appears the other way around on this forum because those who care about the game enough to create an account here, usually don't have steam for arma.

Gooby pls. You wish.
Haha, I don't like you but at least you'll spice up the forums a bit. Things were pretty boring before this whole steam thing.

This is what I told the few members we have at our forum:

"The more I read the pros/cons at BI forum, the more I'm believing it will be better for us, mods will be an easy task for the ones that are new, along with old players that still don't know how mods work."

I've truly been a Steam Hater ever since it opened up, but I'm not going to miss playing A3! hail to BI

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Haha, I don't like you but at least you'll spice up the forums a bit. Things were pretty boring before this whole steam thing.

You don't like Pilskin? :yay: DAFUQ?

Anyone who isn't willing to give steam a try is a bit ignorant and stubborn but I guess it's out of paranoia.

well nice to know you are so well informed on others, I suggest you actually read your EULA

I am not a steam fanyboy or anything but I do use it a lot since I have friends on their and it's convenient and safe.

LOL not a steam fanboy. Read your original post its like you've ticked all the boxes required by STEAM PR dep.

My 2 cents

I do have an STEAM account since the days of HL2 (circa 2004) and I din't like it that much at the time but that was the only way to play Valve tittles

also I do have several tittles on this very same account, again mostly Valve tittles.

Fast forward 2007: I got my orders for deployment so I had this great Idea and it was to DL all my steam games on my laptop so I don't have to carry all those archaic disk and cd keys to the sand box what could go wrong ??? STEAM is so convenient and have offline mode right so I'm set..tested every single game at home with the offline mode with no problems whatsoever as a matter of fact I did manage to play the games at the sand box for a few months, one day maybe 4 months into my deployment I tried to play HL2 and the damn thing was asking me to log into Steam so I can use their offline mode once again and this happened with all my games installed on the laptop...so in the end I had 40GB of "1" and "0" that I can't use because internet was non existent down there.

In the end I did resolve my gaming problem doing something I won't do in normal circumstances "a trip to the on base hajii market" people than been deployed know what I'm talking about...and the wife send me a xbox 360 so I can do something on my limited free time.

I haven't bought a Steam game from that day on and that's why I haven't played ETW and several others, Skyrim I do play it on the Xbox so no problems with that one, also I don't like that is ok for them to close your account for whatever reason because of their EULA's..call me old fart but at 42 I like to hit enter and play my game without doing other steps to make it happen.

btw I'm not the only one that had issues in the past with their offline mode for long periods of time and most of you haven't noticed that because you don't keep it offline for a couple of months.

ARMA 3 is a no buy to me at least at release...maybe..just maybe a couple of years down the road however I don't have Empire Total War and IL-2 Cliff of Dover yet because of the reasons above and to be honest I don't like their futuristic setting.

Edited by ratoa

well nice to know you are so well informed on others, I suggest you actually read your EULA

LOL not a steam fanboy. Read your original post its like you've ticked all the boxes required by STEAM PR dep.

See you target me as a fanboy... There is no hate here at all and is full discussion. I just hate it when people stay soo old school that they won't adapt to change and all they do is complain and complain and EVERY time something like this happens people still buy the game anyways and know it's everything they wanted then go *huff puff*.. * "well... i guess it isn't too bad"

You instantly turn this way out of proportion.

Accept change, give it a try, adapt. This company knows what is best and if you aren't willing to trust them then you aren't loyal.

Edited by Zyromkiru

Accept change, give it a try, adapt. This company knows what is best and if you aren't willing to trust them then you aren't loyal.

How about you accept people have their own opinions and principles they will not give up for a computer game?

You joined not 48h ago and dare to tell people who are with BI since day 1 (that was 12 years ago btw) that they are not loyal? Back in 2001 you probably wasn't even at elementary school.

Who are you to think you can tell people who decide to stay 'old school' that you hate them? Do you even know what that term means? I doubt it actually.

If Arma4 requires a chip implanted in your brain, what you gonna do? Accept change, adapt, give me the damn chip so I can play? Yeah most probably people like you would.

This is what I told the few members we have at our forum:
"The more I read the pros/cons at BI forum, the more I'm believing it will be better for us, mods will be an easy task for the ones that are new, along with old players that still don't know how mods work."

I've truly been a Steam Hater ever since it opened up, but I'm not going to miss playing A3! hail to BI

Pretty much these. I never have liked steam but lets make the most of it and support BIS. Once your playing arma 3 you won't give a shit how you got it (okay i speak for only myself personally but i think that people will find arma 3 on steam isn't as bad as they thought.) For those who have principles not to buy from steam, well I hope you reconsider the value of those principles and the benefits to you. If you still can't get over steam well I appreciate all that you contributed to the series and hopefully some time BIS will release a non steam version so you too can enjoy arma 3.

If it's not too late then.

To be honest, in the past 2 days I had to take so much crap (even from people I respected) because I refuse to use Steam that more and more I start to consider if this is still the community I want to be part of or if it's not better to say 'screw it' and move on.

If it's not too late then.

To be honest, in the past 2 days I had to take so much crap (even from people I respected) because I refuse to use Steam that more and more I start to consider if this is still the community I want to be part of or if it's not better to say 'screw it' and move on.

oh hell no.... I want CWR2 in A3!!!!

"mods" as I refered to earlier is what I'm talking about....it (should) be an easy task with Steam?

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Define easy task. It's an alternative way of uploading and downloading mods. That's about it.

Define easy task. It's an alternative way of uploading and downloading mods. That's about it.

Well, over 12 yrs I've learned to create an "@weapons, @vehicles ect ect" instead of say @blahblahM4 @blahblahM21 ect

I'm very glad too see that ArmA 3 will be Steam-exclusive, with all power of Steam features. I can't wait for pre-order.