Sign in to follow this  
Rich_R

Arma 3 and the real world

@ mr._g_c

your point would be valid if it was just about the limnos island should be real or not, but the real matter is that with a too small shrinked island the proportios of hills and streets are wrong.

Yes of course thats what i meant ;-) Everything gets out of order if the scale is shrinked.

I think you misunderstood me if you thought its about the "size" of the map. I really don't care if it is 200km², 300km² or 400km² in size. I'm talking about the scale here.

They let the unit sizes as they are and shrink the overall scale of the real-worlds role-model to 80%. The Results are total unnatural feeling. The textures and the overall shape of the island might be looking a 100% like a high-res Satellitte image, and you get your feeling for the real-world scale when standing there. You start imagine that walking from Hill XY to Hill YZ will take you probably lets say 30minutes, because from your real-world feeling and experience it would be. But as soon as your start moving in the game then, you find out that you magically done it in 10minutes. Its disturbing.

At end of video horizon is curved

pHChkmvSbTk

No it´s not, what you see is the fog that limits your viewdistance.

http://i47.tinypic.com/egj1c.jpg (136 kB)

4096000.0kmx4096000.0km = 16777216000000km2 (max mapsize)

so what is the size of the real world ? here : 510.000.000 km2

just saying....

but :

1. after 4096x4096x50cell, we have a problem with playing objects, seems to be a bug from the editor, hope BI will release a patch for the tools, if not, i hope that visitor for arma 3 is fixed....

2. if we would map the world into arma, we dont need it as a planet that is round, we can have it as an island which makes me already happy. having it as an round planet is not needed for me.

having such a big island (the earth as island), it would be only good for a zombie survival mission in my opinion, to make a war on such a big map, it would take forever to end the mission, but its only my opinion :D

so if only the fuckin bug is fixed or we can get a fully working tool for arma 3 without this bug : let the earth mapping begin ! :D

Edited by shephart

That's just the radius of the view distance limit in the game.

At end of video horizon is curved

pHChkmvSbTk

Yes of course thats what i meant ;-) Everything gets out of order if the scale is shrinked.

Why do you assume the the map is scaled down as a whole?

IRC, back when petka came forward and said the size of the island is smaller than the real thing, he said they have removed/reconfigured part of it that was dull, not that they create the whole map 1:1 and then they scalled it down...

Oh, and btw, the speed of the avatar is 20-50% faster that the RL average (for walking, running and sprinting).

Oh, and btw, the speed of the avatar is 20-50% faster that the RL average (for walking, running and sprinting).

this is interesting - and a real walking speed could easily be tested by the players. if it is no fun then back to the original game speed.

No it´s not, what you see is the fog that limits your viewdistance.
That's just the radius of the view distance limit in the game.

Thanks, now I feel like an idiot.

Yes i always thought that too, but nice to have it confirmed.

Done a suggestion ticket about it :-)

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/30718