Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

Stuttering

Ok I need help please I cant take it anymore with this annoying microstuttering in the game. I have a new computer my FPS are very good except this stuttering experiencing in game.

I would like to know what people with similar problems did to solve this problem.

Please help im desperate :(

Search is your friend. However, as you are desperate make sure that you have defragged your hard drive containing the install. Moreover get contig.exe and run it in your arma2 directory.

Those are you first steps on the way to sorting microstuttering.

Does it matter if I have installed AO in a own directory instead of merging it with ARMA 2 directory?

I have to different directories under Bohemia Interactive

- Arma 2

- Operation Arrowhead

have you defragmented the drive yet?

dunno about different dir's maybe they're relatively "far apart" on the harddrive but in that case you should only have stutter when having a mission with combined oa and arma2 units. so that's easy to test.

I already defraged with with Game Booster and I still have sudden drops in FPS and stuttering. I have high FPS but not stable at all.

I will try to install both games in the same map and see what happens.

I already defraged with with Game Booster and I still have sudden drops in FPS and stuttering. I have high FPS but not stable at all.

I will try to install both games in the same map and see what happens.

I have a similar system 2600k/gtx580 on a ssd and im experiencing fps drop too which lead to "mini freezes" but i have no stutter when video memory is set on default.

You could try that if its not done yet.

Well I installed Arma 2 and OA in the same map directory after a fresh install and untill now I have no more stuttering in the game. There is a lot of testing left but it looks better right now.

Well the problem is back and now Im very close to shut down the project Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead forever. This is the only game I really love but I guess I have to accept that nothing can make this love happen.

Well guys thank for some interesting years and I hope you will be able to enjoy games for many years to come.

I spent money in hardware but in vain .

I guess its destiny :(

Did you defragment again after installing? The files will have become fragmented again after patching and all that.

Also, what did you change between the game running smoothly and starting to stutter? Obviously it worked smoothly for a short while, so something must have changed in the mean time to make it stutter again. Find the cause and you will be able to solve it.

I defraged the game so its not a question of defrag anymore.

I also changed video memory but makes no difference.

I experience stuttering when driving in cities especially.

I dont know maybe its my harddrive? maybe its not working good with the game. I have no problems with other games I tested though.

Should I overclock? Should I buy a new HD?

My God im getting crazy :(

I also tryied to run with Vsync on and off no difference.

what is your ATOC setting?

I reinstalled the game and now Im trying with 1.56 patch. So not ATOC settings here with this patch.

Need a faster HDD, it has been proven time and again that drive speeds do effect Arma 2 and lower graphic settings probably required too.

I had a Seagate Barracuda with 7200 rpm and only 32 mb cache and I never had this issues.

Its supposed that my current HDD is faster with 64 cache with dual processor ,sata 6. So its supposed to be better . Maybe the HDD its not compatible with Arma2 I dont know.

I had a Seagate Barracuda with 7200 rpm and only 32 mb cache and I never had this issues.

Its supposed that my current HDD is faster with 64 cache with dual processor ,sata 6. So its supposed to be better . Maybe the HDD its not compatible with Arma2 I dont know.

The HD could also be slightly defective. I've had a damaged HD before that occasionally stopped reading for a few seconds. Really annoying.

You could try scanning it with a utility like HD Tune.

you give up really quick :) i would try playing around with settings and cfg file:

ingame use default or normal textures and memory, try to set shadow on high instead of normal, cause normal=cpu high=gpu

go to your arma2oa.cfg and look for maxframes ahead and the line below. first one should say 1000 second one 1 or 3 or whatever, i set mine both to 1 and it runs better..

also defrag your complete harddrive or partition , but not with gamebooste, use O&O defrag or third party tools, which are ONLY for defragging, and do complete defrag (some hours), after patching, the arma-folder is totally fragmented..also try disabling AA completely and see what happens..just don't give up that quick :)

Chill out Nikifore.Driving in(or flying over) big towns can create minimal stutter to every computer.

Bare in mind that having OS,page file and installation folder in the same hard drive,is not ideal for Arma.

If you don`t happen to have a spare hdd lying somewhere touse that old barracuda to install the game separately from OS/PF,try moderate settings for textures and models(game will still look very good,don`t worry)and always go easy with AA.

Edited by Neopas

In my experience most stuttering caused by hard drive access delays. The game is loading gb of textures (think max is about 8) from HD and doesn't use memory that efficiently. I come from 5870 trifire and i7 920 at 4ghz. but my stuttering only occurred at sub 60fps (monitor refresh rate) and before my ssd. Buy the cheapest fastest 50Gb plus SSD and things will be loads better. I have come from E8400 at 4Ghz and WD 7200RPM 160GB HD to i7920 with 2 x 6990's plus 2 x ssd (vertex 2 and Intel 230 120 GB) and 1tb disc HD but without SSD theres always significant stutter, video memory is also really important but unless you can get consistently over the refresh rate of your monitor or a fast HD (ideally 2 ssd HD's one for windows and another for Arma 2) OR install 12-16GB of memory and make a ramdisk stuttering will continue.

I reinstalled the game and now Im trying with 1.56 patch. So not ATOC settings here with this patch.

Are you using a WD Caviar Black HDD? I use the same and definitely don't suffer from constant stuttering. Only once in a while when the game has to cache a bunch of info and the HDD starts thrashing, but usually that's only for a few seconds/hour of play.

I'd make sure your HDD isn't defective, and also disable any unnecessary background processes.

Thank you guys it feels good to get this support because I really dont wont to give up .

I will try everything and I will give you feedback soon.

Thank all of u :)

Try this Set texture detail to normal, set video memory to default or high,worked for me gameplay now is v smooth no stutter . and still looks great.

I used HD tune what do you guys think about this numbers are they ok? What about the access time? I didnt find any errors using HD tune but the access time seems high.

Should I go for a HD with maybe 8 ms access time? The smaller 500 gb HD like Seagate Barracuda seem to give faster access time.

<a  href=http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2783/hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd100y.png' alt='hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd100y.png'> Uploaded with ImageShack.usg/[/img]

Edited by Nikiforos

so guys what do you think?

I think you're deluding yourself if you think you'll get a smooth gameplay experience from that setup. The reason as previously outlined is that when you're in game your hard drive needs to stream enormous quantities of data to give you a smooth experience. Anything short of a fast ssd setup will struggle. People say its smooth BUT either buy 2 or 3 SSD's OR setup a ram disk OR accept the annoying fact that your setup which will be fine for 99.5% of PC games can't cut the mustard with this one. A guy online went from 2 raided SSD's and still wasn't happy with the stuttering. Even with my setup and 2gb per gpu textures on distant trees are not fully rendered. It's just sheer volume of data. Your PC is trying to paint a picture and your HD is the paint pot. The paint pot is trickling out paint and you have a good quick painter always waiting for more paint but twiddling his thumbs as he waits. I personally intend to setup a ram disk inthe next week or two once I've sold my 5970 and 5870.

Edited by Jacky60

I think you're deluding yourself if you think you'll get a smooth gameplay experience from that setup. The reason as previously outlined is that when you're in game your hard drive needs to stream enormous quantities of data to give you a smooth experience. Anything short of a fast ssd setup will struggle. People say its smooth BUT either buy 2 or 3 SSD's OR setup a ram disk OR accept the annoying fact that your setup which will be fine for 99.5% of PC games can't cut the mustard with this one. A guy online went from 2 raided SSD's and still wasn't happy with the stuttering. Even with my setup and 2gb per gpu textures on distant trees are not fully rendered. It's just sheer volume of data. Your PC is trying to paint a picture and you HD is the paint pot. The paint pot is trickling out paint and you have a good quick painter always waiting for more paint but twiddling his thumbs as he waits. I personally intend to setup a ram disk inthe next week or two once I've sold my 5970 and 5870.

I don't buy it. I'm using almost the same HDD as the OP (WD Caviar Black 2TB 64mb cache) and I don't have stutter issues. People surely don't need 2 or 3 SSD's in RAID just to run this game...

My guess is that it's background processes running and decreasing performance in some way. Also, after I upgraded my system I left it at stock speeds for a while before trying to OC it. Once I got my GHz up to ~3.8 GHz (from 3.4 stock) I noticed a definite improvement in gameplay. You might give it a shot just to see if it helps.

Also, there's a new beta out that fixes the following issue (plus more): [80336] Optimized: Reduced frame rate drops caused by texture loading (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/14397)

Give that a shot and see if it works, although note that it is a BETA and Dwarden himself claims it's "totally experimental"; so don't assume that it will work 100% (yet)