Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Six Updater: Install/Update mods, missions. Delta patching. Server browser, and more!

Cheers fraczek! Ticketed; https://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/issues?query_id=242

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Also spotted an issue with the background when DayZ was active, images updated.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

New page... ahh, for those who missed Six Launcher Beta Released!

Edited by Sickboy

I think there's a problem currently with the updater mechanism or so, I found this in the logfile of six updater (and it doesn't update mods and can't check for newer versions):

[WARN] six-updater-gui 17:22:35: There is a newer version available (<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html lang='en' xml:lang='en' xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'>
<head>
<meta content='chrome=1' http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible' />
<title>[b]Six Updater Portal - Not Found[/b]!</title>

Three issues resolved and new version up in the download section! pre5 or newer

Bug #31604: Alt+4 doesnt close the app properly

Feature #31605: Ability to sort the servers by columns

Feature #31607: Server name too small (put in tooltip and allow to resize)

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

I think there's a problem currently with the updater mechanism or so, I found this in the logfile of six updater (and it doesn't update mods and can't check for newer versions)
There's no auto-update atm until the new launcher is sufficiently tested.

However that should have no relation to updating mods, please create a ticket with log files if you have issues updating mods.

Edited by Sickboy

Latest build up on the files section.

• Bug #31621: GUI Exc. : NBug: Six Updater GUI.exe (2.9.6.5)
  • Task #31629: Reduce delay when switching mods
  • Feature #31630: Button response behavior for text links like Changelog, News etc

Latest build up on auto-update and on the download section.

Latest build up on auto-update and on the download section. Setup/Upgrade issues hopefully resolved after installing this one.

• Feature #31670: Provide hover labels for certain (short) column name in server browser
  • Bug #31673: Closing confirmation dialog joins server
  • Bug #31674: Launcher Exc. : NBug: Six Launcher.exe (1.0.0.30): System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception...
  • Bug #31678: Launcher Exc. : NBug: Six Launcher.exe (1.0.0.30): System.MemberAccessException...
  • Feature #31691: Remember which mod was last active, and use that mod at startup
  • Bug #31707: Queuing indicator broken since implementing "skip update if not needed"
  • Bug #31709: Removed favorites come back after restart
  • Task #31722: Remove product.txt and version3.txt and replace with values in the registry

Latest build up on auto-update and on the download section.

Previously recurring Setup/Upgrade issues indeed seem to be completely resolved now, since yesterday's build (YAY!)

• Task #31711: Threading model / State machine needs to be improved
  • Bug #31723: About window shows info from wrong assembly
  • Bug #31724: Sometimes the progressbar/speed indication doesn't work
  • Feature #31762: Show more progress info

Latest build up on auto-update and on the download section. Apologies for the rapid releases, if nothing else serious pops up, this should be the last for a while.

• Bug #31286: GUI Exc. : NBug: Six Updater GUI.exe (2.9.5.38): System.ArgumentException
  • Bug #31718: GUI Exc. : NBug: six updater gui.exe (2.9.5.39): System.IndexOutOfRangeException
  • Bug #31768: GUI Exc. : NBug: Six Updater GUI.exe (2.9.5.39): System.IndexOutOfRangeException
  • Bug #31777: ACE Launcher forgets to load CBA
  • Bug #31788: Enter server password dialog error

Apologies for the rapid releases, ...

Wouldn't mind if it weren't for the Desktop shortcuts always popping up after upgrade ;-) SCNR.

Incredible work, thanks a lot!

Wouldn't mind if it weren't for the Desktop shortcuts always popping up after upgrade ;-) SCNR.

Incredible work, thanks a lot!

Hehe, cheers mate, and thanks for all your input so far :)

I'm right there with you re the shortcuts, but short of removing the desktop shortcuts completely im unsure what we can do about them currently,

we're looking at either upgrading InstallShield or using another setup tool (though IS Visual Studio integration is superb).

But right now can't spend too much time on the installer :)

Can anyone explain me whenever I use Six Updater to update ACE, it will totally freeze my computer and have to resort to hitting the restart button.

Can anyone explain me whenever I use Six Updater to update ACE, it will totally freeze my computer and have to resort to hitting the restart button.

Should be related to your security suite - double check all the SU utilities are allowed/excluded from these.

Found a memory leak in the Six Launcher's Server list. Combined with Grouping Favorites from Servers (which disables a crucial memory saving feature of the server list),

this caused for quite high memory usages, even for Microsoft WPF / IronRuby ;-)

I've fixed the memory leak; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31873 and for the time being i've disabled the grouping feature temporary until improved; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31651 (The list is still sorted by Favorites and then amount of players by defeault, and re-sortable)

This majorly improves the memory usage and also sorting performance of the datagrid.

Will probably be deployed tomorrow.

Edited by Sickboy

I think I'm actually gonna have to install Six Updater now. I really like the "Six Launcher", it's not overly complicated like the rest of the program!

It seems to be downloading very, very, very slowly though. Not sure why. 30 KB/s.

If I import somoeones server and I want to update my mods to server how can I skip one? For instance in my preset after importing a server I might have a map folder that is 1 gig. How would I tell 6 updater to skip that? I click on skip under custom repo tab then mods tab but it doesnt seem to do anything.

I'm pleased to announce our mirror network has once again expanded with another EU location, we now have 16 services active on about 10 servers world wide.

The latest addition sports a 10 Gbit connection and 30 TB traffic/mo and is provided by us.

Hopefully in the future we will also provide such server for the US region.

As of last week, MaSSive kindly provided another community mirror, also in the EU.

If anyone else (/community) would like to provide a mirror, feel free to contact us.

Enjoy!

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

It seems to be downloading very, very, very slowly though. Not sure why. 30 KB/s.
What is "it" in this context? Downloading the software or downloading Mods with the software?

And then which, Six Launcher, or Six Updater, or both?

Usual reasons for slow downloads is security software - best exclude every SU executable from all security measures.

Also, Six Launcher does not yet contain any logic to prioritize mirrors, this will be implemented soon: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31615

If I import somoeones server and I want to update my mods to server how can I skip one? For instance in my preset after importing a server I might have a map folder that is 1 gig. How would I tell 6 updater to skip that? I click on skip under custom repo tab then mods tab but it doesnt seem to do anything.
Currently due to some limitations in the custom networks implementation this indeed is not controllable at this time.

This will be improved, but there are currently other priorities.

The best thing in any case would be to get the custom network manager to adjust their repo and properly split up the modfolders.

It's not as if there's any difference when SU is managing 1, 10 or 100 modfolders, apart from the improved manageability and flexibility when the mods are properly divided :)

More importantly, there should be very few reasons to host mods on custom networks, if they are already available on the official network.

By leveraging the official network, there are many advantages like access to the world wide mirror network, for increased availability and transfer speeds.

Yeah dayZ update is very slow here in Belgium :p

2.7kb/sec

Please see my response above to Nicholas. Also updates do not require much bandwidth because with our software they are incremental - only downloading changed parts of a file, instead of the whole file. Edited by Sickboy

How much disk space is required for a mirror? Are there any benefits to being a mirror or is it purely voluntary? What kind of access is required for your team?

Also, I'll reply to a message in the Automatic Mod Downloading ARMA3 thread since Max Power requested we move discussion of SU here:

We already have; the launcher, and the next-gen SU will leverage similar simplicity and performance.

Great :)

Choice of language(s) and UI frameworks have little to do with clunkyness and bad User Experience. You can build bad UI with any language or UI framework.

The choices are really about personal preference and fitting purpose.

To an extent - I think mixing languages makes code more difficult to manage and more difficult for other developers to participate in. That said, I'm not going to preach to the choir about Development 101 - I'm sure you have perfectly valid reasons for your choices, and I've not looked deeply enough at the code to make an informed observation on the matter.

The bad user experience / UI of the SU is more a design decision than anything else, where for years I was alone on these projects and focussed on functionality rather than user experience / UI, i'm a backend programmer more than anything, and i've had my hands full on the projects i'm involved in.

The launcher is an example of what we can accomplish as a Team, and was a very quick and focussed job.

I'm glad that you're looking more toward the launcher for the UI style - although I'm not overly fond on the mod switching mechanism, the overall concept is a thousand times better. Adding the ability to create your own combinations of mods, perhaps with a choice of a few presets for single player and minimizing interruption to the user experience by doing the syncing etc in the background would also be a long stride forward.

I don't see what the relevance is of Mono or WINE. We're talking about Windows games here, and the current version of the suite is designed for Windows.

For the future we are planning multi-platform support (in which case we should consider Mono), like was available in the legacy updater suite.

I mention WINE because I'm a Linux user :) I've got ARMA II working well on WINE for semi-regular gameplay (with a few caveats), as indicated by the sticky in the ARMAII/OA GENERAL forum but the only way to install and sync many mods that rely upon Six Updater is a poor rehash of an old bash script for Linux servers. For maximum compatibility, pure Mono or C++ with an optional Gtk/Qt frontend would provide a usable application on Windows (Server & Desktop, remember Windows Server is moving towards CLI interfaces, now), Linux (Server or WINE-run Desktop application) and Mac (Likely to be working sometime in the future).

Not only that, but Microsoft is apparently ceasing support for Visual Studio Express (a favourite of .NET developers) in the next iteration - it'll only let you create Metro apps for free. A concerning move for any .NET developer that relies on community development effort. MonoDevelop is a fairly full-featured IDE, similar in functionality to Visual Studio with a visual debugger, support for many forms types (that integrate with each OS's theme fairly fluently) and plenty VCS plugins. Mono happily supports pretty much anything useful that .NET has to offer and is frequently updated with new features. Having developed a couple of ASP/.NET and C#/.NET applications using Mono 2.6, I'm happy to recommend it to any intermediate to advanced developer for pretty much any implementation (in fact, it quite comfortably works with most .NET applications with minimum-to-no effort).

Yes DayZ was it's main goal, there are other mods supported though, and it's only a glimpse of what you can expect in the next-gen software.

It actually took me a few minutes to figure that out - I had to boot the VM up again to check. Are you looking for any help with development? I'm finding myself with some extra time on my hands.

How much disk space is required for a mirror? Are there any benefits to being a mirror or is it purely voluntary? What kind of access is required for your team?
55 GB currently, but up to 100 GB for coming months should be sufficient. The access is rsync push over ssh.

It's pure voluntary. An indirect benefit is that the network grows, and generally the bigger the network, the more stable and performant it gets :)

To an extent - I think mixing languages makes code more difficult to manage and more difficult for other developers to participate in. That said, I'm not going to preach to the choir about Development 101 - I'm sure you have perfectly valid reasons for your choices, and I've not looked deeply enough at the code to make an informed observation on the matter.
Thanks. For one thing I love Ruby, enjoy it a lot, and I think C# / WPF are awesome too, in short, perfect combination for me :) Anyway, it's pointless to discuss preferences, some like black, others like pink :)
I'm glad that you're looking more toward the launcher for the UI style - although I'm not overly fond on the mod switching mechanism, the overall concept is a thousand times better. Adding the ability to create your own combinations of mods, perhaps with a choice of a few presets for single player and minimizing interruption to the user experience by doing the syncing etc in the background would also be a long stride forward.
Thanks. We're aware of the shortcomings re Mod switching, and have some solutions in the works already. Either the launcher will evolve into the next-gen SU, or it will be minorly improved, with the next-gen SU as a separate project.

Syncing is technically performed in the background, but we do prevent actions to be initiated while syncing. But it should be fairly easy to remove this limitation.

I mention WINE because I'm a Linux user :) I've got ARMA II working well on WINE for semi-regular gameplay (with a few caveats), as indicated by the sticky in the ARMAII/OA GENERAL forum but the only way to install and sync many mods that rely upon Six Updater is a poor rehash of an old bash script for Linux servers. For maximum compatibility, pure Mono or C++ with an optional Gtk/Qt frontend would provide a usable application on Windows (Server & Desktop, remember Windows Server is moving towards CLI interfaces, now), Linux (Server or WINE-run Desktop application) and Mac (Likely to be working sometime in the future).

Not only that, but Microsoft is apparently ceasing support for Visual Studio Express (a favourite of .NET developers) in the next iteration - it'll only let you create Metro apps for free. A concerning move for any .NET developer that relies on community development effort. MonoDevelop is a fairly full-featured IDE, similar in functionality to Visual Studio with a visual debugger, support for many forms types (that integrate with each OS's theme fairly fluently) and plenty VCS plugins. Mono happily supports pretty much anything useful that .NET has to offer and is frequently updated with new features. Having developed a couple of ASP/.NET and C#/.NET applications using Mono 2.6, I'm happy to recommend it to any intermediate to advanced developer for pretty much any implementation (in fact, it quite comfortably works with most .NET applications with minimum-to-no effort).

Visual Studio Express and how it can only do Metro in the newer versions, is not a concern for us. And a handful of people who prefer linux or even run Wine is not our target group at all either.

So nice that Mono can offer something in this area, we will consider it in the future, but we're not planning to change everything up, just to suite a marginal linux/wine/mono group :)

Ruby is multi-platform as well. We'll decide sometime in the future.

but the only way to install and sync many mods that rely upon Six Updater is a poor rehash of an old bash script for Linux servers
That's incorrect. The legacy Six Updater Suite runs on both Windows and Linux, and it provides nearly everything the current Windows version provides, minus zsync and custom repo support.

http://www.six-projects.net/Six_Updater_Suite+Linux

Are you looking for any help with development? I'm finding myself with some extra time on my hands.
Thank you kindly for the offer, help is always welcome, but we should discuss a few things first, perhaps we can text-chat on Skype? Edited by Sickboy

55 GB currently, but up to 100 GB for coming months should be sufficient. The access is rsync push over ssh.

It's pure voluntary. An indirect benefit is that the network grows, and generally the bigger the network, the more stable and performant it gets :)

We can talk about that over skype :)

Thanks. For one thing I love Ruby, enjoy it a lot, and I think C# / WPF are awesome too, in short, perfect combination for me :) Anyway, it's pointless to discuss preferences, some like black, others like pink :)

Ruby is a great language, I've used it for several projects. Pure ruby, generally - I'm not really comfortable with the massive maps of gem dependencies that some projects bring with them, and I've always preferred my own code to external APIs. But, as you say, it's all down to preference! :)

Thanks. We're aware of the shortcomings re Mod switching, and have some solutions in the works already. Either the launcher will evolve into the next-gen SU, or it will be minorly improved, with the next-gen SU as a separate project.

Syncing is technically performed in the background, but we do prevent actions to be initiated while syncing. But it should be fairly easy to remove this limitation.

Sounds good!

Visual Studio Express and how it can only do Metro in the newer versions, is not a concern for us. And a handful of people who prefer linux or even run Wine is not our target group at all either.

So nice that Mono can offer something in this area, we will consider it in the future, but we're not planning to change everything up, just to suite a marginal linux/wine/mono group :)

Perhaps not so marginal as you think, if ARMA 3 runs on WINE, too. Linux gamers have a habit of flocking to games that run well on WINE, or even better run natively! (Though we wouldn't see that without some drastic changes, such as BiS adopting OpenGL. Which would probably be for the best, really, since OpenGL is the standard on pretty much every device and would open up the Mac OSX, Linux, console and tablet/smartphone markets [perhaps not so much the last part, but in the future who knows? Moore's law, remember?] . I'm almost expecting Microsoft to stall Direct3D since Win8 is a tablet OS.)

Ruby is multi-platform as well. We'll decide sometime in the future.

It is, indeed. Ruby requires the ruby interpreter, though - it's hardly as widely installed as .NET or Mono. It's also not great for GUI apps.

That's incorrect. The legacy Six Updater Suite runs on both Windows and Linux, and it provides nearly everything the current Windows version provides, minus zsync and custom repo support.

http://www.six-projects.net/Six_Updater_Suite+Linux

I got that working, once, with some strange combination of git snapshot/ruby version/gem versions. I can't remember, for the life of me, how to get it working again. This is another issue I have with ruby - version 1.8 -> 1.9 broke loads of things and if it's not a new ruby version, it's a new gem version come to break everything. Rvm helps a bit, but you really can't ask end users to mess about with that sort of stuff with a videogame application.

Thank you kindly for the offer, help is always welcome, but we should discuss a few things first, perhaps we can text-chat on Skype?

Drop me a PM with your nickname and I'll be in touch shortly :).

Thanks.

Re linux etc - I wouldn't bet too much on it, I also disagree on Win8 only being a tablet OS (it's easy for the haters I guess :D), and besides its not as if Windows 7 suddenly just vanishes off the map,

anyway no use in discussing may or may not to be's, if the linux game bubble would really pop (i'm hearing that several years now..), we'll of course adjust.

Re the legacy Suite; sure, I didn't say it was perfect, but at least it's down your street as linux fan right? :)

As to Ruby versions - IMO there's no problem there, use 1.8 for 1.8 apps/gems and use 1.9 for 1.9 apps/gems, easy isnt it? :)

Bundler does a lot of good for Gems as well. Anyway, again, preferences preferences :)

I've prepared running Sync without interrupting the user experience; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/32542

Thanks.

Re linux etc - I wouldn't bet too much on it, I also disagree on Win8 only being a tablet OS (it's easy for the haters I guess :D), and besides its not as if Windows 7 suddenly just vanishes off the map,

anyway no use in discussing may or may not to be's, if the linux game bubble would really pop (i'm hearing that several years now..), we'll of course adjust.

Well, Windows 7 is all good now but I wonder how long Microsoft are planning to wait to release Windows 9 or whatever they're going to call it. Metro is clearly a tablet-focused system, c'mon - single windows? No start menu? Have you seen the video where a young lad shows the Beta to his word-processing father and the poor guy takes 20 minutes to find the app menu and can't figure out how to exit an app?

As for Linux, ooh - just you wait and see. Valve is releasing a Linux client with Left4Dead at least at launch. Phoronix has more info.

Re the legacy Suite; sure, I didn't say it was perfect, but at least it's down your street as linux fan right? :)

As to Ruby versions - IMO there's no problem there, use 1.8 for 1.8 apps/gems and use 1.9 for 1.9 apps/gems, easy isnt it? :)

Bundler does a lot of good for Gems as well. Anyway, again, preferences preferences :)

Bundler is useful too, but again it's pretty difficult for a non-technical user. Some gems update pretty frequently, and seem willing to deprecate or remove widely-used features on a whim. Linux usability has gone through the roof after Fedora/Ubuntu's competition for the desktop - Linux OSes have become essentially a free version of Mac OSX. Pretty much everything now just works without all the driver faff and web searches for ad-supported software the average user has to do on Windows. BSD is also taking strides with PC-BSD!

I've prepared running Sync without interrupting the user experience; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/32542

Looks good! :) Looking forward to the PM.

No worries, that's exactly what we'll do, wait and see :) For now they are just promises and wishes (and i've heard them before) :)

Re Win8, there's still the legacy desktop, the only difference in operation is Start menu -> Start Screen.

Launching from the TaskBar is IMO preferred anyway, and otherwise WindowsKey + start typing application name has been another preferred method ever since Vista. Both very much supported in Win8.

And even then you still have a whole desktop to put icons on (I really don't like that though).

Of course Metro applications etc are targeted at the tablet. But why that is a problem is a mystery to me; Don't like it, don't use it :)

All-In-All; again a big show of people's natural resistance to change, in my opinion.

Re Ruby/Endusers - you'd distribute a complete bundle for end-users, which means specific versions.

There should be no need to update libraries as a user so there is also no impact of changes in new versions,

IMO its up to the developer to test/confirm and distribute the correct bundle.

PM sent a wee bit back.

Edited by Sickboy