Page 67 of 105 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Six Updater: Install/Update mods, missions. Delta patching. Server browser, and more!

Can anyone explain me whenever I use Six Updater to update ACE, it will totally freeze my computer and have to resort to hitting the restart button.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Draakon View Post
    Can anyone explain me whenever I use Six Updater to update ACE, it will totally freeze my computer and have to resort to hitting the restart button.
    Should be related to your security suite - double check all the SU utilities are allowed/excluded from these.

Author of the Thread
    Found a memory leak in the Six Launcher's Server list. Combined with Grouping Favorites from Servers (which disables a crucial memory saving feature of the server list),
    this caused for quite high memory usages, even for Microsoft WPF / IronRuby ;-)

I've fixed the memory leak; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31873 and for the time being i've disabled the grouping feature temporary until improved; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31651 (The list is still sorted by Favorites and then amount of players by defeault, and re-sortable)
    This majorly improves the memory usage and also sorting performance of the datagrid.

Will probably be deployed tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sickboy; May 24 2012 at 21:10.

Author of the Thread
    New build now also released on auto-update and the download section,
    Contains the fix for the memory leak https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31873, and startup parameter added to enable the Beta regardless of the server requiring it; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31875#note-2

Warrant Officer
    I think I'm actually gonna have to install Six Updater now. I really like the "Six Launcher", it's not overly complicated like the rest of the program!
    "The greatest way to avenge your enemy is by learning to forgive." - Takashi Tanemori

Warrant Officer
    It seems to be downloading very, very, very slowly though. Not sure why. 30 KB/s.

Skip

If I import somoeones server and I want to update my mods to server how can I skip one? For instance in my preset after importing a server I might have a map folder that is 1 gig. How would I tell 6 updater to skip that? I click on skip under custom repo tab then mods tab but it doesnt seem to do anything.

Yeah dayZ update is very slow here in Belgium
    2.7kb/sec

Author of the Thread
    I'm pleased to announce our mirror network has once again expanded with another EU location, we now have 16 services active on about 10 servers world wide.

The latest addition sports a 10 Gbit connection and 30 TB traffic/mo and is provided by us.
    Hopefully in the future we will also provide such server for the US region.

As of last week, MaSSive kindly provided another community mirror, also in the EU.
    If anyone else (/community) would like to provide a mirror, feel free to contact us.

Enjoy!

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    It seems to be downloading very, very, very slowly though. Not sure why. 30 KB/s.
    What is "it" in this context? Downloading the software or downloading Mods with the software?
    And then which, Six Launcher, or Six Updater, or both?

Usual reasons for slow downloads is security software - best exclude every SU executable from all security measures.

Also, Six Launcher does not yet contain any logic to prioritize mirrors, this will be implemented soon: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31615

Quote Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
    If I import somoeones server and I want to update my mods to server how can I skip one? For instance in my preset after importing a server I might have a map folder that is 1 gig. How would I tell 6 updater to skip that? I click on skip under custom repo tab then mods tab but it doesnt seem to do anything.
    Currently due to some limitations in the custom networks implementation this indeed is not controllable at this time.
    This will be improved, but there are currently other priorities.

The best thing in any case would be to get the custom network manager to adjust their repo and properly split up the modfolders.
    It's not as if there's any difference when SU is managing 1, 10 or 100 modfolders, apart from the improved manageability and flexibility when the mods are properly divided

More importantly, there should be very few reasons to host mods on custom networks, if they are already available on the official network.
    By leveraging the official network, there are many advantages like access to the world wide mirror network, for increased availability and transfer speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch0r View Post
    Yeah dayZ update is very slow here in Belgium
    2.7kb/sec
    Please see my response above to Nicholas. Also updates do not require much bandwidth because with our software they are incremental - only downloading changed parts of a file, instead of the whole file.
    Last edited by Sickboy; Jun 2 2012 at 14:53.

How much disk space is required for a mirror? Are there any benefits to being a mirror or is it purely voluntary? What kind of access is required for your team?

Also, I'll reply to a message in the Automatic Mod Downloading ARMA3 thread since Max Power requested we move discussion of SU here:

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    We already have; the launcher, and the next-gen SU will leverage similar simplicity and performance.
    Great

Choice of language(s) and UI frameworks have little to do with clunkyness and bad User Experience. You can build bad UI with any language or UI framework.
    The choices are really about personal preference and fitting purpose.
    To an extent - I think mixing languages makes code more difficult to manage and more difficult for other developers to participate in. That said, I'm not going to preach to the choir about Development 101 - I'm sure you have perfectly valid reasons for your choices, and I've not looked deeply enough at the code to make an informed observation on the matter.

The bad user experience / UI of the SU is more a design decision than anything else, where for years I was alone on these projects and focussed on functionality rather than user experience / UI, i'm a backend programmer more than anything, and i've had my hands full on the projects i'm involved in.

The launcher is an example of what we can accomplish as a Team, and was a very quick and focussed job.
    I'm glad that you're looking more toward the launcher for the UI style - although I'm not overly fond on the mod switching mechanism, the overall concept is a thousand times better. Adding the ability to create your own combinations of mods, perhaps with a choice of a few presets for single player and minimizing interruption to the user experience by doing the syncing etc in the background would also be a long stride forward.

I don't see what the relevance is of Mono or WINE. We're talking about Windows games here, and the current version of the suite is designed for Windows.
    For the future we are planning multi-platform support (in which case we should consider Mono), like was available in the legacy updater suite.
    I mention WINE because I'm a Linux user I've got ARMA II working well on WINE for semi-regular gameplay (with a few caveats), as indicated by the sticky in the ARMAII/OA GENERAL forum but the only way to install and sync many mods that rely upon Six Updater is a poor rehash of an old bash script for Linux servers. For maximum compatibility, pure Mono or C++ with an optional Gtk/Qt frontend would provide a usable application on Windows (Server & Desktop, remember Windows Server is moving towards CLI interfaces, now), Linux (Server or WINE-run Desktop application) and Mac (Likely to be working sometime in the future).

Not only that, but Microsoft is apparently ceasing support for Visual Studio Express (a favourite of .NET developers) in the next iteration - it'll only let you create Metro apps for free. A concerning move for any .NET developer that relies on community development effort. MonoDevelop is a fairly full-featured IDE, similar in functionality to Visual Studio with a visual debugger, support for many forms types (that integrate with each OS's theme fairly fluently) and plenty VCS plugins. Mono happily supports pretty much anything useful that .NET has to offer and is frequently updated with new features. Having developed a couple of ASP/.NET and C#/.NET applications using Mono 2.6, I'm happy to recommend it to any intermediate to advanced developer for pretty much any implementation (in fact, it quite comfortably works with most .NET applications with minimum-to-no effort).

Yes DayZ was it's main goal, there are other mods supported though, and it's only a glimpse of what you can expect in the next-gen software.
    It actually took me a few minutes to figure that out - I had to boot the VM up again to check. Are you looking for any help with development? I'm finding myself with some extra time on my hands.

Page 67 of 105 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast