Sign in to follow this  
Nickos

Language of the games - What does it depend on?

As in the Title, I'd like to know what determines the language of the game.

Is it the CD-Key or copy of the game you've got? I got the Polish edition, but I hate the translation and thus it would be much better if I had it in English.

I know of the language mods available, but they don't apply to mods and other things.

If that's a CD-Key thing, I suppose I'll be forced to buy ArmA 2 Combined Ops from somewhere in the USA, since the poor Polish translation has made me stop playing ArmA, it's just so bad.

Edited by Nickos

So, I don´t know what determines the language but I think since Operation Arrowhead you can change the language in the main menu. I have Czech version and there is Czech and English language.

translations/localizations ar either commissioned individually by the publisher in your country, or are done by a major localization company for all languages of the release. Either way, the translation is copyrighted as well, apparently to the publisher. This way the customers are forced to buy the game from their country's publisher - who is assuming that you need to have it in your mother tongue. This is often necessary due to different release dates in different countries, so you can't just buy it abroad (and resell it again). I dislike this very much too, i think we players - customers should have the freedom of choice when it comes to languages. At least ArmA2 allows us to switch to English.

Edited by Flattermann

Arma 2 has a MULTI-5(English,French,Italian,Spanish,Czech) version, German(German) version and Czech(Czech,English) version AFAIK. Operation Arrowhead maybe had some changes regarding the German version?

EDIT: And a Polish only and a Russian only, for lowered prices in their respective countries*.

EDIT 2:

* = Not sure about that statement, but i think i read it somewhere. Cant remember where though..

Edited by Jelliz

@up

bingo :)

polish version you can buy for less money. Thats the rison we dont get english version. In this case players from others countries dont buy chepper versions from Poland they cant later change language version polish-> english.