Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Why I love ArmA

I just replayed the Village Sweep scenario, trying to juggle all the various High Command forces at my disposal to take the village without casualties. It's possible to complete this mission pretty much solo, but I wanted to be tacticool about it.

Running into cover behind the church under sniper fire, I saw that my AAV wasn't engaging the machinegun position near the Kolkhoz farm. I called in an airstrike.

Of course, when I clicked on the position I wanted bombed, the Fire Mission Target arrow miraculously appeared right on top of my head at the church!

I hightailed it out of there, pulled my squad back with me and said a prayer for a few members of a different fireteam that was covering by the wall.

Soon enough, a pair of A-10s swooped low overhead, but no bombs. Maybe it was just a recon pass. Meanwhile, my supercobra started spitting its autocannon at things.

The A-10s circled back around, low and slow, flying in perfect formation. Then the rear plane gently nudged his wingman's tail. Wheels turned in the physics engine's head, and the A-10 simply stopped in mid air, drifting forward at 10km/h like an autumn leaf. Some Dishka fire swatted lazily at its fuselage as it slowly fell to earth.

A few seconds after it touched down came the earth-shattering explosion, precisely on target, right where my firemission had erroneously been called. You gotta hand it to the Air Force. Even when things go tits up, they find some way to deliver.

LOL, you gonna love one of those moments when things aren't fitting. At least you still got what you wanted.

:D

I also love this game but I must admit, sometimes, it drives me crazy...

PbcctWbC8Q0

Edited by Macadam Cow

It's possible to complete this mission pretty much solo, but I wanted to be tacticool about it.

Heh, most of the times I've done this one (a few), I've never fired a shot, just sat in the HMMWV and navel-gazed into a map.

Heh, most of the times I've done this one (a few), I've never fired a shot, just sat in the HMMWV and navel-gazed into a map.

Yeah, that worked the last time.

But now for whatever reason they managed to shoot down the Cobra (although it may have crashed into the water tower :D) and snipe the AAV and LAV with RPGs.

The problem with high command units is that you can't tell them to engage certain targets or even get them to notice enemies in certain locations. And those machinegun nests are murder on the dismounted infantry.

Why i love ARMA, Because even when i get bored of it i can come back after a couple months off and get that same feeling i got when i very first played the game. Most games once i'm bored it gets uninstalled and put away... Arma is left on my pc waiting and do you know what... i always come back. Love the arma series.

Why i love arma there is no other game like it, and the RP (roleplay missions) is what APB should have been. Its also very flexible to mod, and make missions on/script.