Sign in to follow this  
Melmarkian

[SP/CAMP] Broken Arrow

Hi,

I finally finished my first campaign. So here it is

Broken Arrow

brokenarrow.jpg

Overview:

You are Adam Stein, leader of a small team of the US Army in the war against the Republic of Takistan. The first week of the attack was a success. The USA have captured a major Airport in south of Takistan and preparing for the assault into the northern territories. But....

Features:

- A revive system for your AI buddys: You will lose the missions when one of your teammembers die. To make this less frustrating they have several "lives". After they died they will respawn in the Agony state. You will have to heal them through your team medic or use the "Heal your men" action on them. First Aid doesn´t respond after they have respawned, so I had to add the extra healaction. Your medic will patch himself up after a short amount of time.

- Intro/Outro for the missions

- Your Equipment and your Inventory will be carried from mission to mission.

- Build a small Teamswitch for the last mission (works different than the BIS one)

- UPSMON!

Requirements:

- no addons required

- I used the version 1.59 to test the campaign

Credits:

Demonized & TWIRLY - for the help in the Scripting Forum

ToddRivers - for the feedback on my missions

Monsada & Rafalski - for the great UPSMON

Norrin - for the inspirations on the revive-system

Armaholic for the great support of the game!

I know that the first few missions are already released, but I changed them a bit to spice it up. Difficulty will get higher when you are nearing the end of the campaign. And be sure to check your weapons before you start the mission, as you start with the inventory from the last one.

I am sure there are some things I have not thought about and will break the missions. So please report any bugs or broken tasks back to me.

Thanks to the community and have fun!

Download Broken Arrow

http://www.mediafire.com/?g25g36dzma4fnfe

Armaholic mirror:

- Broken Arrow

Edited by Melmarkian
Armaholic mirror added

- Your Equipment and your Inventory will be carried from mission to mission.

I love that feature - it adds immersion to the game and supports the feeling of being responsible for your gear.

I haven't played any of your previously released missions yet, therefore I'm really looking forward to test/play your campaign @ weekend :)

well im currently on mission 5. so far it has been very fun. nicely done

so far the only real problem i have seen are some funky english texts (but thats easily fixed), and in mission 4 the rifle is not in the motor cycle. i have the mags, but no rifle.

it certainly made the assassination more exciting though :p

crashed a UAZ into his vic, jumped out and blasted 2 makarov mags into the cab before speeding off

just played the first 2 missions of it and for the first campaign it´s well done!

the scenario is not really realistic at all but it was fun to play so far.

Taskhints would be nice and even as non american i could find some spelling errors, like thatguy said, should be fast to fix.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I will have a look at the texts again and see what I can do.

@that guy

I added the rifle via addweaponcargo, seems to not working anymore with the patch.

I did blow him up with a satchel charge the last time

About the scenario:

I didn´t like how the US just rolled over Takistan in the OA campaign. I imagined Takistan to be more modern and wanted to make the conflict balanced. Maybe the Takis have the real russian wargear or simply use their home advantage and have good intelligence to counter the US troops.

Nice to see youve released this campaign, I think being slightly on the back foot makes things interesting, sneaking about is more fun than just rolling in with a thousand tanks!

thanks for your efforts Melmarkian

the scenario is not realistic in the slightist. in order for such an event to take place, would require failings on every single level of the intel and maneuver elements. a total utter failure. even down to the admin guys not making the coffee proporly. a total failure.

but hey, WHO CARES :p

this campaign has a much differant tone than every other campaign released to date (ok of the ones i have played), offical or user made.

in every campaign you are operating from the position of strength (harvest red, arrowhead, crimson lance, black gauntlet (well, sorta), chesty puller, piorg, mighty justice, forgotten few, gambit royal etc) trying to uproot the insurgents, or break some other force down. this seems to be the only one where you are the weak one, the vulnerable one. it adds alot of tension, and makes the missions more exciting.

oh, something else to add on. in the briefing screens, please add in where you start on the map. in several missions i had no idea where i was, or which way i needed to go. in many cases i needed to run around in circles for several minuets before i got my bearings. since i play on vet and with most of the visual ques turned off, it just made it needlessly irritating.

so please add in start locations on the briefing screens :)

and maybe start times as well.

additionally, in several cases i have seen russian soldiers, napa fighters and some ChDKZ fighters in missions. is this intentional or just an accident?

i most cases it just seems like you placed the wrong unit in the editor, because these guys are mixed in with the takis

so please add in start locations on the briefing screens :)

and maybe start times as well.

I wasn´t even aware that you don´t see yourself on the map in higher difficulties! Will add them.

additionally, in several cases i have seen russian soldiers, napa fighters and some ChDKZ fighters in missions. is this intentional or just an accident?

i most cases it just seems like you placed the wrong unit in the editor, because these guys are mixed in with the takis

A few russians should be there because I used their vehicles and didn´t replaced the crews.

But napa and ChDKZ? Wow, I never noticed them myself. Will fix it if I find them. Thanks!

So this weekend:

- check the texts

- add startmarkers

- mixed infantry

- find a workaround for the rifle in mission 4

How about the gear selection? Enough weapons or already too much?

in my opinion more than enough weapons

something i noticed though, if you give one of your squaddies a different weapon from the pool, you loose that weapon next mission.

for example i gave my guys an m240 and the m3 MAAWS. next mission those weapons were unavailable

maybe add the persistent weapons to your squad as well? or at least add the weapons they use into the weapons pool after a mission

if you want some help with texts, or dialogues, feel free to PM me.

question. stuck on level 7 night mission

I have to steal the documents. I can't find them anywhere at that base. I shot the guy who looks like he might be the commander (wearing the beret). Was that wrong to do? Anyway I can't find the documents.

Yeah me too, stuck on mission 7 at the documents... help :(

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Ok, found a solution for the floating unresponsive documents. After you clear the town and rescue the spec ops team you proceed up to the Takistani HQ and circle it kill the one or two soldiers that are not surrendering but leave the officer in the berret alive and hide, soon after he will teleport into the huey and start the engine, thats where you move in, kill him before he takes off, and an option will appear in the action menu that says gather documents.. I love this game and these work arounds <3

About time to beta test this campaign ;)

First mission: On patrol

The overall campaign and mission overview has some low-res pics, but they serve their purpose as being overview pics, one line of text is ok for this format. The cinematics are rather long and well made, which is a real plus. The briefing is short and to the point, whereas the overall mission is only mildly challenging as befits an intro mission. I have not played this campaign in a long time, so I am eager to re-discover the next missions.

Second mission: Get Started

Overview, briefing, and cinematics display the same solid standard as in the first mission, and without spoiling anything, the second mission is a mildly challenging shootout with out any bugs. Pretty enjoyable.

Third mission: Destroy and Search

All the above mentioned "frills" are ok, and the ambush is pretty do-able but then you resort to the cardinal sin of spawning the enemy in open terrain out of thin air in the player's back. After a few retries I gave up because this is just, well, sub-par editing.

Fourth mission: Locals

This one has one mission critical bug of a missing sniper rifle in the motorcycle, so I cannot kill the general, which apparently would reveal the second contact's location, so the mission cannot  be ended.

Fifth mission: Rob the enemy

I gave up trying to raid the northern camp after the 15th retry - it just feels silly to attack with just 5 men, when there ar quite some Guerillas at hand that should advance in concert with your wave, and not start moving out once my squad is being cut to pieces.

Sixth mission: Defend Ravany

The intro does not end on this one, but other than that, it is a solid mission which features numerous firefights.... towards the end there is a lull that led me to search the hills for remaining enemy, but after killing the last BMP-2, the mission did indeed end.

Capture Zavarak

This is a very hard mission with plenty of firefights.Only at the end, I could not be arsed anymore to check every building in that village for hostages - they need to be placed somwehere obvious  - so I used the endmission cheat.

Last mission: Radar

This mission was plagued by enemies appearing out of thin air again - sorry, I just could not stand this any longer so I never played through this.