Sign in to follow this  
BongoBoy

I have it on PC, Steam, buying iMac 27

OK so I want to buy an iMac 27 loaded with Windows 7 n bootcamp. I have seen video's where it is playing awesome. My PC died and I do music so it would be the perfect thing. I NEED to have Arma 2/Arrowhead/British Ops working from Steam.

I am really worried. Steam is great but running it PC wise on an iMac scares me.

Arma 2 must be saved in this operation.

Any info at all on this would be a huge relief. I have been feeling sick since my PC died.

Cheers.

While I have difficulty recommending an iMac to anyone, I have used mac's and bootcamp plenty. Running Windows through Bootcamp (NOT Parallels or another VM solution) is still Windows, and will give you comparable performance to a PC with same specifications. No issues with games or Steam. It really isn't an ideal solution mind you, unless you need an iFruit for some reason. You can run into some fairly odd bugs (especially with drivers) and getting support can be difficult.

I'd wait for them to have Sandy Bridge, the i3 or i5 seem a bit puny, considering the pricetag on this thing.

Well, remember that you are going to buy something totally overpriced. Did you consider to build a PC on your own?

Why wouldn't a home built PC with a good sound card not be better for music than a Mac? (and the price you save from not paying the apple tax, and cramming stuff into a small space, could get you one hell of a nice sound card)

god, no NOT another round of people against apple and macs please. Some of us use a PC for stuff which is called WORK, not only gaming...there, you need to take into account the software you own or are accustomed with , the platforms they work with etc etc.

i am pretty sure most of you that have just posted here (bar vohk) haven't used a mac yourselves...

BTW, regarding price, i wanted to buy a 12 core (2x 6core xeon cpus) mac pro - haven't, since i felt it was well over my budget at the time - but the exactly same configuration in the Windows world, that i had to build myself, was up to 500eus more for instance.

back on the topic, the iMACs are missing have the GFX power for most DX games (the cards they put in are pretty damn good for openGL apps), so i am not sureto what extend you will enjoy it. Besides this, windows loaded via bootcamp behaves just the same as windows installed on the same system, on a PC. That said, for snow leo (10.6), the bootcamp has drivers for both 32 and 64 version of windows

Imacs have normal ati gpu's in them, if you bootcamp to run windows 7 steam will work fine and you can start arma.

Performance will be terrible unless you get the $2000 model, with that one you can play ok with customised settings (some low, some medium). The gpu is the weak spot, you pay 2000 + 100 for win7 for a machine with a $90 gpu in it.

Before I get lambasted over n over. Just to be clear.

My PC laptop, Toshiba X300 is dying. I also do MUSIC on an old mac G4 using Pro Tools. It is out of date.

I was asking because if a maxed out iMac 27 i7 with 8gig mem with a full new version of Windows 7 running bootcamp works...then I kill 2 birds with one stone.

I can't afford both. I would love to have a PC for gaming but Music comes first. Arma 2 is my fav PC game, also Mount n Blade but I just wanted to confirm that it will/could work. It's hard to get straight answers on bootcamp. If it IS a true PC Windows environment (NOT emmulated) then everything even Steam should work.

I bought a boxed copy of Arma 2 today just to have one safe. I have 3 copies of Arma 1 and 1 copy of Op Flashpoint.

Whew.

Thanks for the tips n info. I am just kinda worried about the graphics card in the iMac. I wish you could upgrade like I would do on mem and the i7.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

yea, you're right about the cpu eh ?

They should be more upgradable when you order.

Mac's are solid though, my old G4 laptop has been a tank over the years. Still works but ya can't add anything to it. My Toshiba cost a fortune and lasted just over 2 years, sad, played Arma great surprisingly.

I wonder about NEW 2011 iMacs, they should beef it up.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

OH and about music on a PC. It's just not the same. You cannot have crashes or glitches at all. Never had one on my old G4 in 5 years.

I have had so many on PC, but the games rule.

I hope you understand.

Cheers.

Why dont you get the 1150,- macbook pro AND a gaming pc? If your old G4 is sufficient the new macbook will be amazingly fast, and you can easily buy a gaming pc for the "maxxed imac" minus "cheapest macbook pro". And if you need screenspace just hook up the game-pc monitor to the laptop as well, all decent monitors have a dvi and a vga port so you can switch by pressing a button.

Edited by Leon86

i am pretty sure most of you that have just posted here (bar vohk) haven't used a mac yourselves...

Heh, the first two computers I owned were Macs... a hell of a loooong time ago. :D

I don't think a 27" iMac would play Arma 2 well at its native resolution. It's 2560x1440, pretty gigantic if I may say so myself. It's a nice display, but Apple cripples it with a mid-range graphics card that would have a tough time running Arma at even 1920x1080.

Come on... The best thing they offer is a HD5750. I had a 5770 that huffed and puffed when running at 1920x1080, now I have a GTX460 which also breaks quite a sweat. I don't see the HD5750 giving you decent performance at that resolution.

Why dont you get the 1150,- macbook pro AND a gaming pc? If your old G4 is sufficient the new macbook will be amazingly fast, and you can easily buy a gaming pc for the "maxxed imac" minus "cheapest macbook pro". And if you need screenspace just hook up the game-pc monitor to the laptop as well, all decent monitors have a dvi and a vga port so you can switch by pressing a button.

This might be a good idea for you. I would look into it some more if I were you though just to make sure you would be happy with it.

It's hard to get straight answers on bootcamp. If it IS a true PC Windows environment (NOT emmulated) then everything even Steam should work

No it isn't: it is not emulated, it is just like a PC with windows. Bootcamp self-installs on it for the drivers. I still have windows xp on a my 2007 mac book pro, although i can't say i been using it all that often

Hi,

Was just reading these forums and thought I should join up and give you my experience... I have a late 2009 iMac 27" with the i5 processor (I believe) and just recently bought ArmA2 OA over steam to play.

I run windows 7 through bootcamp, and I can assure you that it runs exactly as a 'normal' PC (there really is no 'special' Mac hardware or anything, it's just a computer). You will get a disk that has bootcamp drivers on it, simple as running bootcamp in OS X, installing windows, then popping in the bootcamp disk when prompted.

Now to ArmA2... it runs.. Ok, My iMac is fairly old now so I expect you would experience quite a performance boost with a brand new 2011 one, but there's no way you would be able run it in the 27" native resolution (I can run it at 1920x1080 but texture etc must be on low).

I was actually very surprised how well it ran, it could be better but I just enjoy flying choppers and blowing stuff up occasionally!

On a side note, you can download Steam for Mac, and they are Starting to publish a lot more games on both platforms..

Hope I was some help! :)

Now to ArmA2... it runs.. Ok, My iMac is fairly old now so I expect you would experience quite a performance boost with a brand new 2011 one

Only difference is cpu 2.66-2.8 Ghz. Gpu 4850-5750 (equal performance, 5750 uses less power) so no performance boost.

I expect there'll be a new imac with a sandy bridge quad and an 6850 soon, that'll play nicely with appropriate settings.

Only difference is cpu 2.66-2.8 Ghz. Gpu 4850-5750 (equal performance, 5750 uses less power) so no performance boost.

I expect there'll be a new imac with a sandy bridge quad and an 6850 soon, that'll play nicely with appropriate settings.

Ah ok, well there you go!

Ah ok, well there you go!

Don't... forget... the... resolution...

iMacs use a huge 2560x1440 resolution, I think that might prove problematic even for the best of cards.

And I doubt the 6850 will be in there. Apple only equips their computers with midrange cards.

Such great information and opinions guys. Thanks a lot.

I am glad I didn't rush into anything yet.

Funny thing, last night I took my PC Toshiba x300 laptop wiped it with a clean install, DID NOT load Steam (having many troubles logging in, Arma crashes) Bought a boxed copy of Arma 2, so far works perfect (fingers crossed).

It amazes me that this laptop can play Arma 2 so smoothly and the setting are pretty high. I hope it doesn't crash to black again.

Playing it again in it's sparkly wonder makes me want a smokin PC, I'm out of date on specs but maybe a Radeon HD $400 cards, forgot the number, would be nice in a rig.

I'm in Canada so we pay more for that stuff.

You guys got me thinkin and re-thinking.

Thanks again, and a Macbook Pro IS nice, better vid card too I believe, but still is pricey here. The 15 is $2000 I believe.

Thanks Pals.

Tough situation you're in, so I figure I'll take a moment to chime in just a tad.

I've been in audio production since 2003, mostly on PC, but; A good friend of mine, who's an audio engineer (got me started) used to use nothing but Mac. Basically because of tons of work we've done together, I've got a pretty decent amount of experience, producing on both PC and Mac.

For a number of years, he was pretty commited to Apple, although we've both been producing on PC exclusively for about a year now. We both run Pro Tools on PC, and I've used both versions, so long as you have a good interface, there's really no difference, none that I'm aware of.

Is there a specific piece of hardware that has you shooting for a Mac? If so, I'd have a look around and see what exactly is available. Honestly, you'll need to spend quite a bit to get even mediocre gaming performance on a Mac, and well, even my friend who preached Apple for years, wound up building PC, and using the money he saved to buy one hell of a nice audio interface, along with some additional really good software.

It's really worth considering, although I realize you may have expensive hardware keeping you on OSX, this was his problem, for years. But the minute he decided he wanted a new machine, he realized how cost friendly it was building PC, and applying the money saved specifically to audio goods.

Myself, I've never felt the need to buy an Apple product for production, but I certainly understand many enjoy it. But times have changed a bit, and production can be done on either. My bad for the length, thought maybe I'd post my experience with it.

I use Pro Tools, FL Studio, Qbase, Sound Forge and some other smaller apps. I use a number of different devices and mics, all on Win7 x64 :)

Edit: I should mention, I did really enjoy working on OSX. There certainly weren't any problems, and well, during the Vista times, it was pretty nice in some ways, but for production, nothing else really. Since Win7 though I've gotta admit, it feels 50/50 to me, so, it's not that I'm pro-PC necessarily, but if budget is a concern, and there's no hardware holding ya back, it's certainly worth thinking about. For the price of an iMac, that 'could' do what you want, well enough, you could build a rock solid PC workstation with both the video and audio hardware capability needed.

Edited by Rhammstein

Thanks again, and a Macbook Pro IS nice, better vid card too I believe, but still is pricey here. The 15 is $2000 I believe.

I'm pretty sure the gpu in the macbook is slower than the 27" imac one because of power consumption and cooling.

If you can afford a 13" macbook pro (or a macmini) AND a gaming pc I'd go that route, maybe you can find a secondhand system that doesnt cost that much. Macmini's still use core2duo's (not even an i3) and the cheaper model only has 2GB ram.

another option would be the mac pro with a 5870 and a screen, though that'll be even more expensive.

Well I forgot I had an extra warranty on my PC laptop so it is in the shop. It plays Arma 2 pretty good too. If it comes back OK I will beef of the Ram to 8 and be rockin again.

My trusty old Mac G4 powerbook is still chuggin away for doing music. Maybe I'm not in such a state.

One day I will get a new Mac (when they improve them a bit) and a monster PC for gaming, mainly Arma n Mount & Blade.

Ya gotta have a dream, heh,heh.

Thanks for all the idea's.

Happy ARMAing.