Sign in to follow this  
dkosmack

Respawn for Editor Missions played in multiplayer

I created a mission in the editor and have played it online with a friend of mine, does anyone know how to make it so that when you die you can respawn? as of now, whenever one of us dies we spawn in as a crow and fly around, and if we both die we return to the lobby screen. Any help?

look here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext

click on respawn for info.

i think you only need this in a file called description.ext in your mission folder.

respawn = "BASE";  // this means base wich is a marker named respawn_west
respawndelay = 4;  // this is time from death to new life

Edited by Demonized

thanks, where does that information get typed in at? im still learning the editor sorry

Suggest you read the link! Starts off with "Introduction" :rolleyes:

How to setup a respawn for MP using a base respawn

Theres many ways to respawn but in this little tutorial we will cover a base respawn.

Note: this tutorial was built for Arma2, and Arma2OA (Arma2CO), it will work for Arma3.

Question

What is a base respawn?

A base respawn is a marker on the map placed wherever you wish to respawn.

Step one - Editor - Markers

In the editor in your mission go to markers (F6) In the list you can pick whatever

type of marker you want but for basics let just choose a flag.

Place the flag marker where you want to respawn.

Step two - Editor - Name the Marker

This next step is we will need to indicate who will respawn at this marker.

The following list is the playable respawn classes:

respawn in base. Requires a marker named:

* respawn_west ---> for Bluefor (USA)

* respawn_east ----> for Opfor (Russia, Takistani, Iranians)

* respawn_guerrila --> for Independent

* respawn_civilian

Open your marker and name it one of the above, lets go with Bluefor for now, so for Bluefor we need

respawn_west dont misspell it!

Step Three - Description.ext

Question

What is the Description.ext?

It is the script that tells the game how you will respawn, it contains codes that allows you to define many things in your

mission When editing a mission in the mission editor description.ext is only read when the mission is loaded,

not when you preview the mission.

Step three part 1 - Tools needed to create the Description.ext script

- Open a notepad document and name it:

Description file.ext

Step three part 2 Description.ext script

- In the open space, place these codes:

respawn = base;
respawndelay = 5;
base is the type of respawn where a marker is placed and you respawn at that position, hence "base respawn"
respawndelay is how long in seconds before you respawn at the marker.

Refer to the Description.ext Reference for other types of respawn:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#Respawn...

Notepad

Make sure that when you name and save the document as a description.ext that it doesn't say

description.ext.txt or the game wont be able to read the codes.

Step Four - Save the Description.ext and place into your mission folder.

This next step you will need to save your Description.ext, and move the script to your mission's folder,

where missions are saved in the editor.

Question

Where would my mission folder be located where I need to place the Description.ext script?

The path for this folder is here:

Windows 10

Arma2OA - C:\Users\username\Documents\ArmA 2\missions

Arma 3 - C:\Users\username\Documents\Arma 3\missions

===========================

Tips

* when you edit any mp missions always edit Mp missions using the basic default Arma2/Arma3 game, do not edit mp missions

with a modded arma2/arma3 or you will create an addon dependency and make the mission unplayable

unless the mission has the addon, or mod present that you used when you edited the mission.

* If you are editing an mission and you are inserting units and misc and a addon, or mod is needed to do so,

then when you play that mission, the mission will require that addon, or mod to be loaded to play the mission,

without it the mission will not be playable.

* If you save your MPmission as a usermission, be sure to add all the script files and other misc files that your

Mpmission had in the folder with it when you unpbo'd it or the mission wont work as its missing files, you will find

this out the hard way if you go play the mission and a window pops up saying the something something script is missing.

* you can create mp missions in the sp mission editor, but when done just be sure that you locate the sp mission in the sp mission editor folder, and put all scripts needed

in there and then export the mission in the sp editor to mp, once you export it to mp then the mission will become a pbo and can be found in your main directory in the folder mpmissions,

and will show listed in the mission list for a given island the mission was built on, the color of the title should be gold or tan.

=====================

How to open Pbos

Refer to my other tutorial:

Even though its for arma 3 the Pbo manager is from arma2OA so this tutorial will work for arma 3 regardless.

==========================

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Nice Günter.

In with a teaspoon instructions.

Im sorry but it didn't work and it was really dissaponting. I just want a simple script that i can put in the init field of a soldier and be able to edit its respawn time AFTER death. i tried the methods you gave but they didn't work.

Put a gamelogic on the map named server.Follow demons 2nd post. Put a marker on the map named respawn_west (or respawn_east). It's probably THE simplest thing to setup for your mission.

Im sorry but it didn't work and it was really dissaponting. I just want a simple script that i can put in the init field of a soldier and be able to edit its respawn time AFTER death.

i tried the methods you gave but they didn't work.

If it didn't work then theres something you didn't do correctly, and you give no explanation as to what you did and didn't do.

I know the tutorial works, as this is the basic setup for a base respawn for a marker, if thats not what you wanted,

it doesn't mean that it doesn't work, it dont work for what you are trying to do.

A base respawn is one of many ways to setup a respawn, and by default in the game a base respawn is nuts and bolts basic imo.

A base respawn requires but 3 things:

1. A marker named after the faction of your choice placed on the map somewhere you wish to respawn

2. A description.ext with the basic respawn codes:

[b]respawn = base;[/b] ([u]base[/u] is the marker you put down, the [u]faction[/u] is indicated by the marker name, that decides who respawns there)
[b]respawndelay = 3;[/b] ([u]respawndelay[/u] is the amount of [u]time[/u] before a unit respawns, in this case 3, which is 3 seconds)

3. Final is to put the description.ext into your mission folder.

=============

Just a note, ArmaEdit isn't really required, notepad (or the text editor of your choice) works perfectly fine as long as you know how to save files correctly :)

Just a question, if I already have a description.ext file in my mission folder for respawning, how do I add a loading screen without getting rid of my respawn script?

Edit: Forget that. Didn't realise you could put two different scripts in the same file. Lol.

Edited by JakeDK

how do you set how many respawns a player is allowed to have?

With the above method you cannot specify how many lives a player has (respawn = 3 or respawn = "base")

You would have to add a respawn/revive script in order to do this.. I believe Norrin's revive has this ability and if you are using ACE the ACE revive script by columdrum will work.

I cant for the life of me get this to work, plz help.

1. I have created a marker in the editor named respawn_west like this. http://i.imgur.com/NBQKyeq.jpg
  2. I have also created a description.ext file in the MPmissions folder. http://i.imgur.com/UJTZwZL.jpg
  3. The description.ext file only has two lines of text like this. http://i.imgur.com/XsNvFlW.jpg
  4. But when i am starting the mission i have this box http://i.imgur.com/qyf2Gpn.jpg with respawn: NONE and when i die in the mission i don't respawn and have to abort out of the mission.

What have i missed? :confused:

Thanks for any help.

Hi Boogzor,

You did everything right but one thing, step 2 is wrong, the description.ext goes in the same folder as the mission you created.

So you need to locate the editor made mission also known as a usermission, it should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\ArmA 2\MPMissions

Thanks i think i got it to work now.

found the MPmissions folder in "Arma 2 Other profiles" folder

Hi Boogzor,

You did everything right but one thing, step 2 is wrong, the description.ext goes in the same folder as the mission you created.

So you need to locate the editor made mission also known as a usermission, it should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\ArmA 2\MPMissions

Hey just a heads up, but for me the description.ext file was not under that directory (took me over an hour of frustrating trial and error to figure it out). It might be because I have Windows 7, installed Arma 2 through Steam, or just have mods like ACE/ACRE installed.

The correct path for me was C:\Libraries\Documents\Arma 2 Other Profiles\[my profile name]\missions\[mission name].

Like I said my computer might just be a unique (frustrating) snowflake, but it might help some others out.

Edited by Nibbles04

^ the quoted path is for Windows XP while your path is for Windows 7

but for me the description.ext file was not under that directory

Of course its not, what i posted was an example, i dont know what OS you guys have, or if you have the game on steam, but

the description.ext must be placed in the mission folder you created that would be in that directory.

The main idea here is at all scripts being used in a mission, need to be in the same folder of the mission itself for the editor, once you export a mission the editor pbo's

it and if the script your using or trying to use is not in that folder of the mission you exported (pbo'd) then the mission will either not work

or you will get an error message asking for the script.

So before you export it put the script in the usermissions folder before you export it, also always save editor based missions as a usermission,

do not export a mission without saving it as a usermission first, if you do not save as a usermission then the mission wont be listed in the editor once

you have closed the editor, so that means you wont be able to reedit the mission if need be if you wanted to then you would have to extract the pbo,

and move the mission into the editor folders.

The main idea here is at all scripts being used in a mission, need to be in the same folder of the mission itself for the editor, once you export a mission the editor pbo's

it and if the script your using or trying to use is not in that folder of the mission you exported (pbo'd) then the mission will either not work

or you will get an error message asking for the script.

Thanks, that helped me understand (to some degree) how the pbo's work.

Ok sorry for the bump on an old thread but I have a question.

I'm about to setup respawns for my mission and want to have respawn points alongside the progress of the mission but they can't be available before you reached a curtain point. I use respawn_west, respawn_west 2 etc.

I have a question. How can use this:

therespawnTemplates[] = {"MenuPosition"};

In the file description.ext. It work or need use the module respawn ? Of Arma 3

I need 2 respawn bluef and opf and need see it in the menu position. Sorry for my bad english and thanks for you help

***JUST REALISED THIS IS AN ARMA 2 THREAD AND I ANSWERED AS IF IT ITS ARMA 3 - WHOOPS!!!***

You need a minimum of this in your description.ext

respawn = "BASE";
respawndelay = 10; // The 10 is how many seconds before respawn, this can be altered to suit yourself.
respawnTemplates[] = {"MenuPosition"};

And you need the A3 games respawn modules put on map in the editor. So for 2 respawn points you need 2 modules. (These are in Modules (F7), Multiplayer category)

Make sure the modules aren't grouped together.

No syncing to players is required.

Each respawn module needs a unique name e.g. West Base and East Base. (if using just 2, one for each side)

And the specific modules needs the settings set for which side you want to be able to use that particular respawn point, (the unique name doesn't define this, its just a name).

Settings on the module for your Blufor spawn would be:- (And for Opfor, change name and the side)

Name - West Base

Type - Infantry

Side - Blufor

Show to - Only the side

But the games respawn template method is really for having more than one choice per side via menu for a respawn point, other wise you could just use the Respawn_West and Respawn_East markers method.

[sOLVED]

I have a question on this topic also, can a respawn module be created or activated as the mission progresses? So you start the mission with one, but by the end of it you may have unlocked/created several.

Use this is the on activation of a trigger:-

[west, "New Respawn"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;

west being the side it applies too, and New Respawn being the name of an editor placed marker where you want new respawn to appear. The new respawn name is automatic seemingly.

Edited by Tay-uk