Sign in to follow this  
Nilmerg

Armarize, yet another utility for ArmA2

Simplicity matters, that's my idea of an application that will provide its users a fast, straightforward and promising way to get the most out of something. In this case out of the ArmA game series. Armarize is intended to meet this idea so you don't have to worry about how you should set up the game, you'll just play the game! At most all of the complexity which this kind of game implies will be undertaken by Armarize especially when you want to discover more than the standard game. You can simply enjoy all the great modifications out there with only some clicks! So don't hesitate and be armarized...

Main features:

• Powerful serverbrowser for ArmA3, ArmA2, ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead and Take On Helicopters.
  • Synchronisation. Installing and updating ArmA3, ArmA2(OA) as well as ToH modifications through the SixUpdater-Network or even your own network.
  • Create your own compressed mod archives and store them for later use.
  • Fully automatic installation of archived modifications.
  • Substantial interface for the modification management.
  • User defined profiles with many options to customise the launch of the game.
  • Automation of third party applications to be started on game launch.
  • Full Steam support for ArmA3, ArmA2, ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead and Take On Helicopters.
  • Different languages are supported. (Currently English, German, French and Russian.)
  • Advanced configuration options which allow experienced users to adjust Armarize in more greater detail.

Additional features:

• Gameserver favorites and history.
  • Lots of filter options to find specific types of gameservers.
  • Colored icons beside every server to indicate the odds to be able to join it.
  • Automated activation of server side running modifications when joining.
  • Possibility to link profiles with multiple specific gameservers.
  • An acoustic notification system to inform you about status changes of one or more gameservers.
  • Managing modifications with actions like "Move", "Copy", "Delete" and "Rename".
  • Support for grouped modifications to simplify their handling.
  • Configurable startup parameters for the game.
  • Automatable launch of third party applications before launching the game.
  • Configurable delay before game launch when third party applications were started.
  • Under Windows Vista and higher the game can be run as administrator or simple desktop user.
  • Possibility to set the process priority with which the game should be started.
  • Support for different directories where modifications can be managed.

Pictures:

I've got your interest? Then download the appropriate version for your operating system and be armarized!

Download Armarize from the official website

Some additional words:

Armarize is not only easy to use and highly functional, but it is also very stable and reliable. It stays under constant development and should support new features of the game as soon as possible.

If you are experiencing some issues with Armarize, you can use one of the few official forum threads or the official website (www.armarize.com) to ask for assistance.

Credits:

The synchronisation is based on the community driven rsync/zsync network which is also in use by the well-known SixUpdater/PlayWithSix by Sickboy. Thanks to everyone who is involved!

Edited by Nilmerg

If someone had problems starting Armarize on WindowsXP this is fixed now. Just download the installer once again. :smile_o:

Looks pretty spiffy, going to check it out right now. Thanks!

I don't know exactly if it matters, but Armarize is able to handle seperate game folders and therefore CombinedOps should be working with Steam. It would be nice if someone could confirm that.

Very nice work here.

I like the way you've handled mod dependencies (don't assume but list the missing ones with the option to also add on update).

I also like the multiple folders feature but can they be named rather than always being User Directory: 1, 2, 3 etc?

Does it or could it support stand-alone zsync repositories? Not something I've played with in SU so I don't know how it works there but it would be very handy to be able to update off a standard web server.

I have an issue in the settings dialog that the profile list displays not only the profile folders but a huge number of files it finds below them. It looks like you filtered out things like *.sqm *.ext but it still returns everything else (*.sqf, *.ogg, *.sqs, *.paa, *.txt etc.).

Biggest question for me so far; is it possible to use your own folder names for six network installed mods? Say I want @isla_duala to be in @DUALA?

Also, I haven't yet stumbled across any provision for controlling mod load order (order in the -mod parameter).

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Hmmm... having re-read the OP I guess I should've added the above to your tracker.

Edited by Defunkt

Very nice work here.

Thanks! :)

I like the way you've handled mod dependencies (don't assume but list the missing ones with the option to also add on update).

Well, nice to hear, but this function does not detect the dependencies recursively so far. (the dependencies of the dependencies ;) ) But that will be implemented with the next update.

I also like the multiple folders feature but can they be named rather than always being User Directory: 1, 2, 3 etc?

Hmm... there are two possibilities now. On the one hand using the folder name defined by the user and on the other hand a extra field to define a extra name. And I prefer the first one, because I do not want to create too many settings... Would that be ok?

Does it or could it support stand-alone zsync repositories? Not something I've played with in SU so I don't know how it works there but it would be very handy to be able to update off a standard web server.

No. The zsync functionality is one of these special ones the Six-Updater is using which I will not implement myself. Maybe I will implement the possibility to define a custom server for each mod or something like that.

I have an issue in the settings dialog that the profile list displays not only the profile folders but a huge number of files it finds below them. It looks like you filtered out things like *.sqm *.ext but it still returns everything else (*.sqf, *.ogg, *.sqs, *.paa, *.txt etc.).

Yep. You are not the only one with this bug. Will be fixed with the next update.

Biggest question for me so far; is it possible to use your own folder names for six network installed mods? Say I want @isla_duala to be in @DUALA?

Here are also two possibilities. Either defining a custom name that is only used to display the mod within the lists or renaming the physical modfolder. But I do not see the sense for using the last one, really. Why do you want to do that?

Also, I haven't yet stumbled across any provision for controlling mod load order (order in the -mod parameter).

You have not right clicked within the lists where to select the mods to start, right? ;)

Very very impressive tool Nilmerg!

Started only to dive into it, yet I can see giving you a lot of feedback. :)

Excellent to have yet another great app next to YAS and SU!

Awesome interface - kudos. A problem I have is I cannot find any of the servers I play on, yet they are in my game as active with many people on. Is there some type of problem recognizing servers?

Hmm... there are two possibilities now. On the one hand using the folder name defined by the user and on the other hand a extra field to define a extra name. And I prefer the first one, because I do not want to create too many settings... Would that be ok?

Yes, good solution.

No. The zsync functionality is one of these special ones the Six-Updater is using which I will not implement myself. Maybe I will implement the possibility to define a custom server for each mod or something like that.

Please reconsider, the ability for a clan or community to setup a custom repository on a standard web server is a huge bonus.

Here are also two possibilities. Either defining a custom name that is only used to display the mod within the lists or renaming the physical modfolder. But I do not see the sense for using the last one, really. Why do you want to do that?

Mainly because I want to retain the ability to launch the game (with mods) from a shortcut or (in particular) from Steam which have limited command line lengths. I also find shorter names easier to recall. In fact a great feature I haven't seen anybody else provide would be the ability to use the GUI to setup all the parameters, especially beta & mods, then provide the ability to copy the whole command line to the clipboard.

Please reconsider, the ability for a clan or community to setup a custom repository on a standard web server is a huge bonus.

That may be true, but not yet my intention. Armarize is in its current design meant for the regular ArmA2-player and not for clans or even leagues. Well, for the moment I want to solve bugs and improve the current features. If that is done I may implement new features for clans and communities as well.

Mainly because I want to retain the ability to launch the game (with mods) from a shortcut or (in particular) from Steam which have limited command line lengths. I also find shorter names easier to recall. In fact a great feature I haven't seen anybody else provide would be the ability to use the GUI to setup all the parameters, especially beta & mods, then provide the ability to copy the whole command line to the clipboard.

Sounds reasonable. But even if I would implement it, that's such a new feature as the custom repository is.

Copying the command line... what's the difference to creating shortcuts that many programs are providing? ;)

Awesome interface - kudos. A problem I have is I cannot find any of the servers I play on, yet they are in my game as active with many people on. Is there some type of problem recognizing servers?

Hmm.. I experienced such a problem myself when I was using my old internet-router. (Old means around 5-6 years) Also one of my mates with a very low internet connection experienced it. So I think I have to affirm that, unfortunately. The problem is that my experience in network programming (especially socket programming) is not good enough so that I would be able to solve it. If someone within this forum reads this and wants to view at my sources for doing some suggestions then I would be very happy. ;) --> http://www.armarize.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=6

Edited by Nilmerg

The first update is out now. Thanks to all of you which reported tracebacks!

• [sAFETY] Path validation added before rsync will be executed
  • [FIX] ArmA2 profile detection
  • [FIX] NameError during serverbrowser refresh
  • [FIX] ValueError during install of ace config
  • [FIX] IndexError when a corrupted packet has been received from a server
  • [FIX] TypeError during repair of mods when non-installed mod was selected
  • [FIX] TypeError during deletion of mods when non-installed mod was selected
  • [FIX] TypeError during relocation of mods when non-installed mod was selected
  • [FIX] TypeError during installation of keys when non-installed mod was selected
  • [FIX] TypeError after custom directory has been removed and the settings are reopened
  • [CHANGE] Column order within the serverbrowser
  • [CHANGE] Ping limit will now have an effect immediately
  • [CHANGE] Removed distinction between ArmA2 and ArmA2OA profiles
  • [CHANGE] A server which has not replied to the ping request will not be ignored any more
  • [CHANGE] Version cache will now be created every time new mods or mod directories are added to the program. (This includes the first launch of the program.)
  • [CHANGE] Changed custom directory names so the defined folder names are displayed instead of "User directory 1-3"
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Mod dependencies are detected recursively now
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Duplicates within the modlist of a server are now removed
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Official modstrings in the serverbrowser are shortened now
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Duplicate profile name handling and empty profile name handling
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Catching of errors due to insufficient permissions. (They will still occur but they will be logged instead of forcefully stopping the program.)

If you have already installed Armarize, just start it. Otherwise:

Copying the command line... what's the difference to creating shortcuts that many programs are providing? ;)

Most of the time, when I'm making or trying out stuff, I use an ArmA launcher but when I actually want to play with friends I prefer to launch from Steam and enjoy integration with its overlay, friends and a rather good screenshot capability recently added. Of course then I'm back to editing the command line (of limited length) by hand, it'd be good if I could use my GUI launcher to create this.

Thanks for the update.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Still getting a mass of files in addition to the profile directories, looks like you've filtered out a few more types but it still returns extraneous filenames and any subdirectories. What language are you using? Can't you just return directory names without recursing?

Well.. I do not really have many files, missions, scripts, sounds, etc. within my profile folders.. Now I think I know what the point is :sarcasm: (I'm using Python, btw)

Awesome launcher! Spirited Machine's launcher doesn't work for me for some reason, and this launcher does the job even better. Thanks for the hard work :)

It's time for the second Armarize update. But this one includes more fixes and improvements within the background due to my rework of the code. Armarize should run more stable than before and even if it crashes after all you can be sure that you can inform me about this crash. ;) So if you miss some fixes in the changelog the possibility that they are already fixed is high, very high.

• [iMPROVEMENT] Completely reworked code
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Greatly improved fault tolerance and handling
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Increased speed when moving mods to another location
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Some lists now have a minimal size for their columns
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Some columns within the server-browser are now automatically resized
  • [iMPROVEMENT] The server-browser will automatically sort its contents based on the player count
  • [iMPROVEMENT] When a single mod should be deleted a confirmation dialog will be displayed now
  • [iMPROVEMENT] When the archive-based installation will be aborted all files extracted by Armarize are now removed
  • [CHANGE] Column order within the server-browser has been changed once again
  • [CHANGE] The mods running on a server are now displayed at the bottom of the server-browser
  • [CHANGE] Mods without a rsync-repository are now automatically converted before the synchronisation starts
  • [FIX] Newly archive-based installed mods which are available on the six-rsync-network could not be synchronized in the same session
  • [FIX] Archive-based mod-files were potentially deleted by rsync and re-downloaded entirely after conversion
  • [FIX] Updated mods disappeared within Armarize in some circumstances
  • [FIX] Update installation should be more reliable now
  • [FIX] ArmA2 profile detection (finally...)
  • And much much more fixes but I'm too lazy to list them all...

With the next update I may divide the settings into tabs and add tooltips to at most all controls. Some new options like using the steam executables instead of the ones from the game should also be possible. So keep tracking the development of Armarize! :D

@Nilmerg

I have been using your launcher\updater. I was wondering if it would be possible to change the way you set the mod order. I know you can right click and move the mod up or down, but would there be away to click and drag the mods to the order you want them in. I use a couple of different set ups ,plus I like to play around and try out different mods. Example: sometimes I use ACE sometimes I don't. I know this is not a big issue, just more of a convenience.

Thanks for your work

Nomad

Of course, it would be possible but I can't understand why you need additionally D'N'D? To provide a comfortable way of ordering I've automated it a little bit. So you don't need to move the beta-mod or CombinedOps to the first place by yourself. Even if you activate a mod which is at the end of the list, it will be moved up automatically.

So I hope you will understand that this is a low priority feature ... but not unthinkable. :)

Thanks!

This is a good tool for me since i'm new to the game, but hear so much about 'must have mods' like ACE WarFX JTD Fire etc...

Was having a heap of trouble with dependencies installing the above mods, and hopefully this will solve a lot of my worries!

Four weeks ago the last update v1.0.2.0 was released to you. But during this four weeks I have constantly worked on Armarize and I would say that it was worth it. (I think it is okay to let the changelog speaking for itself. :D )

• [FEATURE] The game and external applications are now executed as the desktop user by default. This means that no admin rights are inherited, if possible. You can change this within the configuration of course. (Only available on Windows Vista or Windows 7 if Armarize has been elevated through UAC.)
  • [FEATURE] The limitation of custom mod directories has been superseded and it is now possible to change the displayed name manually.
  • [FEATURE] As long as the serverbrowser has not been entirely refreshed only the favourites of the selected profile are refreshed.
  • [FEATURE] The limitation of external applications has been superseded and the entire functionality has been highly improved.
  • [FEATURE] Now the listed game profiles are the ones from the user under which the game should be started.
  • [FEATURE] The "Settings" were completely reworked, splitted to tabs and renamed to "Configuration".
  • [FEATURE] Tooltips were added to some settings and profile options.
  • [FEATURE] Added -SkipIntro parameter to the profile options.
  • [CHANGE] If the menu button "Check for updates" has been clicked, Armarize really checks for new updates if it was not able to do so on initialization.
  • [CHANGE] Armarize is now able to handle multiple users. (This means that the settings and profiles are now saved within the AppData directory.)
  • [CHANGE] All options regarding the self update were removed and the user has to select the destination path manually on every update.
  • [CHANGE] The currently running mod operation will not be aborted anymore when leaving the configuration.
  • [CHANGE] A refresh of the serverbrowser will not be prevented anymore when the game has been started.
  • [CHANGE] If Armarize is not able to ping it will not abort the browser refresh anymore.
  • [bUGFIX] The -x= and -y= options within a profile had no effect when not using a beta patch executable. (Now the game configuration file will be altered.)
  • [bUGFIX] Completely downloaded but not extracted mods were ignored within the next synchronisation if the last one has been aborted in some way.
  • [bUGFIX] Mods chosen by the user to load were ignored if a server has the EqualModRequired flag and the user decided to ignore it.
  • [bUGFIX] Joining on a password protected server was not possible in some circumstances even if the right password was given.
  • [bUGFIX] Archive installation crashed if a directory named "addons", "dta" or "common" was within the root of the archive.
  • [bUGFIX] Installed mods to update defined within a profile were ignored on initialization and removed from the profile.
  • [bUGFIX] Crash when one of the key directories was detected as mod and the keys from this "mod" should be installed.
  • [bUGFIX] Crash on initialization when the user directory or ArmA2 directory was queried.
  • [bUGFIX] It is no more possible to use Armarize after a forced update has been aborted.
  • [bUGFIX] A mod version that has been deleted was updated within the next session.
  • [bUGFIX] ArmA2 profile names were not displayed correctly in some circumstances.
  • [bUGFIX] Mods could not be moved if the destination was on another partition.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Changed default filter settings so servers which are password protected or locked and servers with a different version than the client are filtered out.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] When the synchronisation wizard will be started with a profile where no mods to synchronize are selected all outdated mods are selected automatically.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Hardcoded values within the game for the maxMem parameter has been set as minimum and maximum value within the profile options.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Synchronisation handles non critical errors better and will inform the user about them within the log.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] It is now possible to select none of the available ArmA2 profiles.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] It is now possible to update the version of an installed mod.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Some dialog texts were improved to be more clear.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] It is now possible to copy an existing profile.

Please note:

Due to the change "Armarize is now able to handle multiple users." all settings and profiles you defined so far are not detected. But please do not try to move your old files to the new location because some errors may occur in this case.

Please note if you are using the 32bit variant of version 1.1:

I noticed just a few minutes ago that the feature "The game and external applications are now executed as the desktop user by default." is not working because Armarize does not detect that it is running elevated. I will try to fix this until tomorrow.

Well, as is mostly the case, I forgot to update a few lines of code and the result is an annoying bug. Anyway, it is fixed now and regarding the bug within the 32bit variant of v1.1.0.0 where Armarize seemed to be unable to detect that it is running elevated on Vista or Win7... That was not a bug within Armarize, that was a bug in front of my monitor... :rolleyes:

• [bUGFIX] Crash when rsync could not connect to a mirror.

Cheers! Feedback tomorrow morning. :)

Actually I wanted to wait another week for this release but due to the fact that there are only some complex To-do-entries left on my list, I will do it now. This release contains only some minor features and improvements compared to the pending ones. So the next release may be finished not until one or even two months, except another annoying bug occurs of course. But in the meantime I will try to create some of the missing config-instructions, so that Armarize is able to automatically configure more modifications than A.C.E.2. These instructions are available for you without any update of Armarize, but up to now you will not get any notification when a new one is available. Only if you synchronize a modification, choose the (active) menu-entry within the configuration or look into this thread, you will notice that there has something changed. But that circumstance is one of these list-entries...

Changelog:

• [FEATURE] Armarize highlights missing mods within the box in the serverbrowser now.
  • [CHANGE] On Windows Vista or Windows 7, Armarize now starts the browser as the desktop user everytime.
  • [CHANGE] If the user has manually checked for new updates after initialization the local mod information will also be refreshed.
  • [CHANGE] On Windows Vista or Windows 7, Armarize tries to send ping requests only if it is running elevated. (Because it is only working then.)
  • [bUGFIX] Crash when Armarize could not connect to a mirror to where it was already connected before.
  • [bUGFIX] Armarize did not detect the right game variant after a game directory has been manually selected.
  • [bUGFIX] Crash when a game directory has been manually selected and a beta patch mod should be synchronized.
  • [bUGFIX] The beta patch for ArmA2OA was not detected as installed after a game directory has been manually selected.
  • [bUGFIX] Crash when Armarize collected additional information for the synchronisation and the user has been aborted it.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] The size of a modification is better formatted now.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] All checkboxes are now changeable with a click on the text beside them.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] All list controls are sortable now, except the one which is used to select the modifications to start.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Now the last selected tab within the configuration remains selected when a new session has been started.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] The entire size and count of modifications within a directory will be displayed within the settings now.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Within the profile settings where to select the mods to be synchronized only installed mods are displayed now.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] Mod detection has been highly improved. Armarize is now able to identify modifications which are differently named on the client and server.
  • [iMPROVEMENT] When the user set some profile options without creating a profile, Armarize saves these changes within an unnamed profile instead of discarding them.

So the next release may be finished not until one or even two months, except another annoying bug occurs of course.

Well...

Changelog:

• [bUGFIX] Crash when a new modification should be installed in the very first defined mod directory.

there is one major error when you installed the mods

all mod folders requires admin acces you then have to right click each folder saying allow all so it's readable through a launcher and as far as i know theres no golden way to just allow all folders and sub folders at once

edit

there is a golden way after using this program

mark the arma 2 directory folder

right click edit permitions in security

allow for all include sub folders

you have to make a new permition then search for admin under advanced and allow all

Edited by pressytcn