DTG: 14FEB12 2200hrs HOTEL
Squad leader: Marto
60mm Mortar gunner: AI
Mortar #2: AI
Mortar #3: AI
Contact across the road v2
Sequence of events:
(reference map below)
1. Started at "Our location" and came under extremely heavy RPG an indirect HE fire.
2. Withdrew whole squad approx 300m NNE behind 98 feature, enemy shells and RPGs detonating everywhere including airbursts in the treetops.
3. Deployed 60mm mortar baseplate behind 98 feature.
4. Adjusted mortar fire on the enemy position approx 500m SW across the road. You would not believe the first round was on and hit an enemy AFV direct and exploded it. Unbelievable.
5. Fire for effect (FFE) Shake'n'bake: HE/Willie Pete mix.
6. Myself and Bugs maneuvred through the dead ground approx 250m WSW to the 99 feature.
7. Engaged main enemy position with 5.56 and very accurate 40 mike mike by Bugs.
8. By that time the enemy had executed a double pincer move - flanking and engaging us from the NW (far) and SE (close) with 7.62 short and at least 2x RPK and RPG rounds.
9. Returned fire including 40mm but enemy had superior firepower, Marto wounded and bleeding heavily, managed to stop bleeding with field dressings, but by that time Bugs was hit and killed. Marto was then hit and killed trying to extract Bugs' body.
10. Lessons learnt: Lack of rear and flank protection enabled enemy to maneuvre to our flanks undetected until they engaged us - needed to take more TacOps members in our assault group. Mortar team suppressed the main enemy position very effectively. Basic plan was good and warrants another try.
60mm mortar deployed behind 98 feature. Main enemy position 500m directly to the front on the feature with the pines:
60mm Willie Pete burst on enemy position:
BDA (bomb damage assessment) of enemy position after FFE:
Marto and Bugs' position on the 99 feature RIP. Enemy position 300m to the front, across the road on those two small hills:
A fun mission and unbelievable first round mortar hit on the enemy AFV.