Sign in to follow this  
Whiskered.Wren

Refugee camp scenario: small job opportunity

I'm looking to enlist someone with enough experience in ARMA II scripting to create the following scenario, with two missions derived from it.

A tent-filled refugee camp in an isolated African-looking setting, think Sudan. The camp is composed of around 50 tents, most of which are used by refugees and look very shoddy; a few that are used by international aid workers look better.

The camp is to be made as large as computationally possible in ARMA II; some 800 civilians roaming around between around 50 tents is a good scale. Civilians should be of both male and female of all ages with a fair number of children among them. We can provide age distributions for males and females.

There is a single access road to the camp. On one side of the camp lies a well or a watering hole. The camp is surrounded with a makeshift fences or concertina wire. The tents used by international aid workers should include a hospital tent, a stack of a few barrels gasoline and another type of fuel and a generator nearby.

Vignette

Scenarios A and B share certain elements. These elements should highlight a dynamic picture of “normal†daily life in a refugee camp: some families are sitting in front of their tents; some are cooking outside with firewood. Some civilians are crowded around a waterhole and around the international aid workers’ tent. Four international aid workers who are better dressed but not white, give out grain and cereals from a truck parked somewhere close to the international aid workers’ tent. Another vehicle, for example a pickup truck with dirty looking windshields is parked next to the fuel barrels.

Scenario A

At some point, four rather rusty-looking trucks carrying a few soldiers or paramilitary police and two technicals pull up to the camp gate. One of the trucks is covered; the other is not. Some of the soldiers in the uncovered truck wear African-looking uniforms with berets and wear boots; others wear more typical clothing. A crowd of refugees comes up to see what is happening. A heated exchange between an international aid worker and a senior paramilitary follows. At some point, the senior officer steps to the side and the trucks force their way through the gate, fencing and crowed. A few people get overrun, but the crowd does not disperse right away. Soldiers on the trucks dismount and beat the civilians with the butts of their weapons while those on technicals cover them with their heavier machine guns. After a few moments soldiers open fire, kill a few civilians and disperse the panicked crowed. Soldiers capture the two of the international aid workers; haul another two males from some tents; load them to the back of the covered truck, set fire to several of the closest tents and drive away. END.

Scenario B

In front of the camp, some 100 meters away from the front gate, there is a semi-permanent checkpoint. The checkpoint, composed of a tent surrounded by HESCOs and a small watch tower, is manned by a squad of Western soldiers with French or Swiss equipment and is supported by a light armored vehicle, preferably Eagle II. The paramilitary convoy approaches the refugee camp, but is stopped at the checkpoint. A heated exchange between senior officers of both sides, translated by an African interpreter in a vest ensues. After a few moments, the paramilitary convoy turns around and drives away. END.

Remarks

1) All scenarios are supposed to be AI- and script-driven missions without any player interaction. These scenarios are not classical ARMA II missions.

2) Crowd and civilian behavior is a key element in each scenario. It is desirable to have realistic riot and panic behavior for civilians.

3) For inspiration, watch the following video that shows paramilitary forces driving through a refugee camp

4) It is expected that the level of detail is dependent on the general availability of proper tile sets and ARMA II islands. The semi-arid deserts from Operation Arrowhead are acceptable if a proper African landscape cannot be found.

Ultimately, a replay of scenarios A and B is to be combined into a five-minute movie. The movie would have a few general cut scenes of the baseline scenario, followed by a two-minute view of scenario A and a one-minute view of scenario B. The movies are not supposed to be standalone, but will ultimately provide a backdrop for a presentation.

This is a small non-profit project that provides narrative for a new form of non-profit organization. So our pay and yours is not industry competitive. If you are interested, please include the following in an e-mail to whiskered.wren@gmail.com:

1) Time. How much time you need to get us to movie-making stage.

2) Expected pay. We can work out incremental payments. We will pay you at each stage and work out the feedback. I prefer to pay you through Paypal.

3) Links to examples of ARMA II missions, scripts or movies you have worked with.

If you happen to script something of value to the ARMA II community, for example, a refinement of civilian behavior, you can share it as you see fit.

Regards,

Wren

:j: ..................................

And there is no children in arma2...............

:j: ..................................

Can you provide pictures of the camp in question, maybe a phone number so i can give a headsup... lol

Hey!

Even though burning children with their legs blown off are an inherent part of the landscape in question, I understand why BI would shun away from including such models from ARMA. Thanks for letting me know.

To grasp how such camps might look like, have a look at the following:

SP1119147.jpg

or a more orderly example:

refugee_camp_sudan.jpg

When people have spent more time in a single spot, they would augment the camps with fences around individual tents, built up adobe walls and wind breakers, etc., to arrive at the following:

66824949_6920018876_z.jpg?zz=1

Of course, I understand that such models might not be readily available for ARMA. In such a case, the baseline Operation Arrowhead *stan look-and-feel is OK for my purpose.

The layout of the camp for the scenario is very simple, something like this would look just fine:

2nb7rz9.jpg

Those camps usually grow quite large driven by relative security and food availability, subject only to water and firewood constraints. Again, in scenario as long as tents can fill out a carefully chosen movie frame, I'm good.

The way I see it, the key challenge will be to get civilians to clump and disperse in an smooth manner. If you are still interested, my skype name is whiskered.wren.

Regards

Wren