Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz

How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?

• Refuel/Rearm/Repair all in one spot on flight deck
    • Refuel/Rearm between elevators 1&2, Repair in hangar bay
    • Rearm between elevators 1&2, Refuel towards rear of deck, Repair in Hangar bay

Very well done Sir.

Great package overall JDog, appreciate the attention to detail. Should be exciting to see what the future holds from you.

Did run across a script error, I'm a goon for not having it in front of me.. Using -showScriptErrors, was persistant in nature. Something to do with catapult.. sorry. (will edit)

Kickass though!

Hmmm Charles which vehicle was in that you "glitched under"? And I'm guessing this happened while going UP? Also yea I'm aware of the LOD-switching issue for the planes, don't know if its maybe because of the size of the ship or the amount of polys?

Also... I don't think I mention in the readme file but if you put a towing tractor on the carrier you'll be able to tow aircraft. At least all standard BIS aircraft + Ikar's F14.

Thanks for all the work you put into this JDog. One slight problem though, the tractor will only tow aircraft that have been placed onto the carier with setPos, if I place an aircraft down on the land, fly it over to the carrier and then try to tow it, the action isn't available.

I've also tried to set the land aircraft to 0 height, then when I try to tow it on the carrier, it explodes taking all aircraft in the hangar with it. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

I tried the FileFront download link and it doesn't work.

I click download and then a screen pops up saying "thank you for downloading" then underneath it it says the file your looking for is cerrently unavailable.

MissileMoose,

I use rundll.exe's Generic Towing Script for the tow function. When it initializes, it does so at a given position with a given range. I didn't account for aircraft NOT starting the mission on the carrier and then being towed, so when it initializes its radius is 1000 I believe I set it to. My bad. I'll add it to the list of things to fix/change with the next update. The search radius is taken off a global variable, I'll see if its possible to change that within the mission since its already defined in the script, and get back to you.

Victim, GameFront is being lame right now I think, the "Upload" button on the upload page wont even load so maybe just heavy traffic on their end. I'll check it later and upload it again if I have to.

Edited by JDog

@jdog

Your aircraft carrier looks great. I already have a mission I am putting this into.

Question: Do you have a demo of AI using the catapult to take off? I have tried the scripts. I can get the plane to attach to the catapult . I can get the JBD to go up and down.

What I cannot seem to do is get the plane to launch correctly. I am using standard BIS planes. I can hear the catapult fire, but the planes shoot off to the side and explode. I am testing this on your demo mission.

Nomadd

I tried the FileFront download link and it doesn't work.

I click download and then a screen pops up saying "thank you for downloading" then underneath it it says the file your looking for is cerrently unavailable.

here you are

New on front page at Armed Assault.info

I have added some picture of my own ... USS Nimitz at anchor in the Golfe du Sud on Tigeria.

Link to mirror :

USS Nimitz (v 0.8 beta) : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1688

@Nomadd, after a little testing I found out the problem. Unfortunately, this is beta and still a WIP, and as such I was making sure it works for players and havent done much with AI or even set building positions yet.

The problem is with the catapult launch script I use which is launching in the direction YOU (the player) is facing when the script is called, not the AI. Quick answer: I fixed it and I'll put up a new script for you to use in your mission instead, and I'll update that wth the next release also.

EDIT: Use the following as a script in your own mission folder for now to launch an aircraft lined up with the catapult, call xx=[objectName]execVM "catlaunch.sqf";

catlaunch.sqf:

_veh = [color="Red"]objectName[/color];
_v=1;  
while{_v<50}do{    
(vehicle _veh) setvelocity [_v* sin (getdir (_veh)),_v * cos (getdir (_veh)),.1];
_v=_v+6;
sleep 0.12;
};

Unfortnately this method still doesn't account for the AI pilot attempting to veer off-course while being propelled down the line, nor does it make him aware he's about to be thrust into the ocean and should start flying.

I might recommend looking into unitCapture and unitPlay commands, just to get them into the air. Note those only work in OA/CO.

Edited by JDog

Congrats dude. Looking good, i'm guessing you'll get all the kinks worked out in due time :)

Is there any way to activate the hanger bay elevators when they are in the opposite position (Lower them from inside the hanger, or raise them from the flight deck)??

If i may make a suggestion, maybe you could put a switch on the wall of the hanger bay and the flight deck and also add the action to said switch/terminal.

You mean operate them remotely? I think that would be a good idea.

Think of the elevators as your regular office type elevator. you can call it to your position from the switch on the wall, but you can also control the elevator from the panel inside the elevator.

Explore the Nimitz and you will find hints on possible future plans. Including remotely controlled elevators;)

€: Loved the story on Gandalf btw :D Great stuff there!

Edited by Derbysieger

good job, been waiting for this for awhile. thanks for the addon!

Oh one thing.

I just checked my RPT file because the game crashed and I got 14MB of this:

sleep 0.2;
}; exitWith {deleteVehicle _touchdown};>
 Error position: <{deleteVehicle _touchdown};>
 Error Missing ;
File JDG_carrier\scr\iflols_calc.sqf, line 74
Error in expression <le _touchdown};

Hah Derbysieger, glad you found those :) I couldn't help but have a little fun with it lol.

Anyway that RPT error I'm guessing is telling me I should use "_touchdown;};" instead of "_touchdown};" huh? Anyway I've changed it now but that shouldn't have crashed you. Pretty sure the only way my carrier will crash you is if you try to setPos it lol.

@JDog

don't let you fool you by those error messages, they're often enough not pretty accurate. Might often happen that a previous made error shows his fugly face a few lines later, sometimes even earlier.

Oh that just bites. My gaming computer goes down at the exact time this great addon is released. Still congratulations on the release, glad to see you decided to release a beta of sorts before tackling the other chunk of time consuming stuff.. features sure sound great, can't wait to try them ^^

Nice idea on having the doors open btw, avoids that nasty little interior hdr issue.

This is a great addon, was well worth the wait.

Can't wait to see it be even better in the future :yay:

Congrats on release. The ship is looking mighty fine. :)

Noticed it pops out of existance not too far out compared to the Utes ship which can be seen no matter how far away you are. Dont know if this is by design or if it was on my pc only. If by design then i think its safe to make it visible for longer distances as you place only one on the map normally.

Keep up the good work.

NICE!!! I played around with it a bit and ofcourse it isn't finished yet, it looks very promessing. With some more work you could head for the best mod of 2011! I still would like to see the F/A-18 Superhornet combined with it though.

Outstanding work JDog :)

I found the same problems that we found in the QE carrier, as far as I know these were easily solved. A trigger near the carrier detects the following list of objects (types listed):

"USMC_Soldier"

"AV8B2"

"JDG_hangar_2"

"JDG_hangar_3"

"JDG_carrier_geo_11"

"JDG_carrier_geo_12"

"JDG_carrier_geo_13"

"JDG_carrier_geo_14"

"JDG_carrier_geo_15"

"JDG_carrier_geo_16"

"JDG_carrier_geo_island"

"JDG_carrier_2"

"JDG_carrier_3"

"JDG_carrier_4"

"JDG_hangar_4"

"JDG_carrier_5"

"JDG_carrier_nimspots"

"JDG_carrier_nimlights"

"JDG_carrier_Spawner" <<<<< PROBLEMS

"AV8B2"

"AV8B2"

"AV8B2"

"JDG_hangar_1"

"JDG_carrier_geo_1"

"JDG_carrier_geo_2"

"JDG_carrier_geo_3"

"JDG_carrier_geo_4"

"JDG_carrier_geo_5"

"JDG_carrier_geo_6"

"JDG_carrier_geo_7"

"JDG_carrier_geo_8"

"JDG_carrier_geo_9"

"JDG_carrier_geo_10"

"JDG_carrier_0"

"JDG_carrier_1"

"FunctionsManager"

"Logic"

"Logic"

"Logic"

From these, trying to get the position of "JDG_carrier_Spawner" with getPos command results in an immediate crash of the game. So, ATM, when the carrier is scanned by any MMA sensor the game crash. Might be you can invetigate that object and make it and most of the others not detectable by triggers.

Aside of that, in my attempt to create MMA configs for the cv I found that all the viable places for SeaSparrow launchers and phalanx guns are just on "roof" surfaces. That triggers the A2 infamous bug of "n" vertical coordinate spaces overlapped near these surfaces, so all the fired missiles, particle effects and fired rounds are missplaced between 13 and 15m over the correct positions.

Hah Derbysieger, glad you found those :) I couldn't help but have a little fun with it lol.

Anyway that RPT error I'm guessing is telling me I should use "_touchdown;};" instead of "_touchdown};" huh? Anyway I've changed it now but that shouldn't have crashed you. Pretty sure the only way my carrier will crash you is if you try to setPos it lol.

I don't know what caused it to crash... I didn't setPos the carrier but I used a whole bunch of other Mods and placed about 50 units on it so maybe it was just too much^^ I thought I post this here because of the massive RPT spam.

Oh and what Alex said. I think it's save to make it visible at longer distances like the USS Khe Sanh on Utes ;)