Sign in to follow this  
fatty86

Re-introduce NVG compatibility to the SVD, or add a toggle function to the NV SVD

Many weapons in ArmA2 retain NVG compatibility when run in OA. Take a look, for example, at the ACOG M16s and M14s and the DMR. I assume this was done to prevent breaking missions that took place at night with the old gear and to accommodate the fact that the old models do not have alternate sights. These were good design decisions which keep old missions playable and fun.

One weapon which saw its NVG compatibility taken away was the basic SVD. A new NV SVD was introduced but the NV function cannot be turned off, like it can with the NV M110, rendering it fairly useless during the day.

In an effort to find a weapon that matches the versatility of the DMR or M110 in a designated marksman role for OPFOR units, I'd like to see either:

a) NV compatibility returned to the basic SVD so that it matches the functionality of the DMR.

or

b) a simple NV toggle introduced to the NV SVD so that it matches the functionality of the M110.

Thanks!

With regards to the NVGs, I'd like to see a newer model than the one we currently have. Maybe a monocle type. That would allow use of sights too.

Edited by Hellfire257

I would rather opt for removing NV compatibilty from all A2 weapons including Launchers. There is a special SVD with night vision scope so there in no need to make the daylight scop compatible.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

With regards to the NVGs, I'd like to see a newer model than the one we currently have. Maybe a monocle type. That would allow use of sights too.
sights but not scopes. Sights do work already with NV.

Re-read the initial post please. The NV SVD is not an acceptable substitute because the NV mode cannot be turned off and the rifle is useless during daylight hours.

Re-read the initial post please. The NV SVD is not an acceptable substitute because the NV mode cannot be turned off and the rifle is useless during daylight hours.
Use standard SVD in daylight. btw it is not useless at day since it's the only SVD with a backup ironsight.

Many weapons in ArmA2 retain NVG compatibility when run in OA. Take a look, for example, at the ACOG M16s and M14s and the DMR.

Not anymore I believe.

Not anymore I believe.
Oh yes they do. The ArmA II weapksn were not touched in any way by the Expansion making them the Nr.1 choice in MP night time missions.

Goes for M16-ACOG, M4-M203-ACOG, SMAW and AK-107-PSO

1. Why would you be using a SVD with NV in the day

2. When it's night, just grab the SVD with the NV. Simple and done ^^

And I don't see why iron sights wouldn't be incompatible with NVG though. Then again, I haven't used NVG and iron sights at the same time. So I wouldn't know what happens.

wasn't that some models of SVD have limited NV capability? so there should be a version of SVD can switch on/off the NV.

1. Why would you be using a SVD with NV in the day

2. When it's night, just grab the SVD with the NV. Simple and done ^^

And I don't see why iron sights wouldn't be incompatible with NVG though. Then again, I haven't used NVG and iron sights at the same time. So I wouldn't know what happens.

NV googles are optical devices with lenses...you have a problem with focus trying to aim over ironsight...

I have trouble with reflex sights too.

I gave up on my NVG's and went back to using an NV scope.

With NVG's using an IR laser designator is a big plus, but ultimately the need to constantly adjust the focus of NVG's makes them horrible to shoot with as it's not a hands free operation.

Edited by Baff1

I didn't realize the NV SVD had back-up iron sights. That makes it not so useless during daylight hours. Still, I hope a toggle function can be added so the OPFOR can have a sniper weapon that can be used in missions that span day and night.

I didn't realize the NV SVD had back-up iron sights. That makes it not so useless during daylight hours. Still, I hope a toggle function can be added so the OPFOR can have a sniper weapon that can be used in missions that span day and night.
What about changing your weapon sometimes? it's n ot that night comes al that sudden and without that you have an idea about it, Youre trying to produce a problem where non exists. Edited by Beagle

Indeed - this suggestion may surprise you... but how about using non NV SVD during daylight?

I understand that old cheats going away upset people who think this is some arcade shooter that is all about running with nothing but sniper rifles in the desert (which is for some reason called "PvP scene"). But I'm really glad that a game that is supposed to be realistic finally gets some "realistic" treatment - if only BIS did that for all weapons.

What's wrong with just using a NV sight in the daytime?

All my NV gear works in daylight too.

Everything just looks green is all.

Using an optical scope of any kind with goggles is not ideal I believe, since the rifles ergonomics are designed to offer optimum accuracy when you hold the rifle in a certain way. Basically if you want to shoot at night, you need an NV or Passive thermal scope.

Using an optical scope of any kind with goggles is not ideal I believe, since the rifles ergonomics are designed to offer optimum accuracy when you hold the rifle in a certain way. Basically if you want to shoot at night, you need an NV or Passive thermal scope.

it's more a optical problem...no focus, you simply see nothing in the scope.

Scopes work only at a specific range from the eye and without daaditional lenses behind the ocular...

NVGs are optical intruments usinf lenses themselfs...it does not work.

it's more a optical problem...no focus, you simply see nothing in the scope.

Scopes work only at a specific range from the eye and without daaditional lenses behind the ocular...

NVGs are optical intruments usinf lenses themselfs...it does not work.

Yes that, too. I was just pointing out that if you're supposed to hold a weapon right handed, and look down the thing with your right eye, using your middle eye of a NVG ain't going to work too well!

Using NVGs with a plain telescopic sight is impossible as the scope does not admit enough light for the NVGs to work.