Sign in to follow this  
Falkenhayn

Long range harassment and other questions

Hi. I have some questions about the editor:

1) I want to set up a long range harassment party. I just want them to stay at around 800m shooting at the enemy. How can i achieve this?

2) I want a squad to cover the advance of another squad, so I want them firing and suppressing the enemy while the 2nd squad advances. What's the best way to do this?

3) I want the AI to detect another unit, but I don't know if it's possible to artificially tell them "There are bad guys here". Is that possible??

Thanks in advance for your time!

1) Tsk tsk tsk, that could be difficult. Depending on what mod you're using, infantry may not even detect each other at 800m. Zeus AI combat skills purportedly extends "engagement ranges out to 500m and beyond."

You might be able to make them shoot in the general direction of the enemy with doFire and fire commands.

Honestly I can't think of an easy and simple way to do it. You're more than welcome to make your own script that will manage a long-range harassment party. However, describing all the steps that would be needed with a single forum post is quite difficult.

Read up on scripting and advanced mission editing topics if you're interested. Try the BIKI and the many tutorials at OFPEC.

2) The suppressFor command will be critical here.

Getting two squads to work together will probably require lots of scripting. Again, it's really difficult to tell how you should do this. See above.

3) Now that's easy. ;) Reveal command. However, this will not make the group attack the targets that they now "know" about, unless there is a line of sight. To get them to move to the locations of enemies, use the move command or add a group waypoint.

Good luck!

I don't think suppressfor works, mine never shoot at anything unless they can see it.

Hi. I have some questions about the editor:

1) I want to set up a long range harassment party. I just want them to stay at around 800m shooting at the enemy. How can i achieve this?

2) I want a squad to cover the advance of another squad, so I want them firing and suppressing the enemy while the 2nd squad advances. What's the best way to do this?

3) I want the AI to detect another unit, but I don't know if it's possible to artificially tell them "There are bad guys here". Is that possible??

Thanks in advance for your time!

1 - This is possible if you give the units appropriate weapons, like rifles or (possibly) MG's. I don't think AR equipped units would shoot out to 800m. If I get time, I'll knock up an example mission. It should be easy to do for a specific part in a mission. Much harder to do on the fly.

2 - I'm interested in trying this out myself. It looks pretty challenging because you would have to define the squads involved, then

find some way to over-ride the default behaviour of the advancing squad so they purposefully move to their destination. I think you could go further though and have both squads move to the destination, one at a time, bounding past the other squad. That would be uber.

3 - Not sure.