Sign in to follow this  
johncage

Unity 3 engine

no one here likes ofp2 or 3

Not strictly true.

Anyway.Unity does seem like an impressive engine.Although as you said Johncage,it'd be fairly limited within the confines of a web based title.I'd like to see a full 3d attempt at a military themed game.

Edited by Macser

no one here likes ofp2 or 3

There is no such thing as OFP2 or OFP3

There is no such thing as OFP2 or OFP3

This.

The only thing this has in common with Red River is the weird graphics. Thread title amended so as not to cause issues.

Hi johncage

Thank you for that reminder of how bad corridor shooters truly are.

Kind Regards walker

I've used Unity for several projects. It's a good place to start if you don't have a lot of experience making games. I haven't done very much with it (and I'm certainly not very experienced), but IMO it's not what I would call powerful. The web player is neat but from what I understand it can be pretty frustrating to work with (and of course limits what you can do).

But if you want to create simple games and you don't have any money or experience, then yea it has great potential.

There was a thread about this before and I tried that bootcamp demo -kinda nifty.

One thing I like is the stumble/hit effects -something the Arma series sorely needs. I know soldiers are tough and all, but maintaining perfect posture while emitting a red cloud of lost blood just dont seem right.

...I know soldiers are tough and all, but maintaining perfect posture while emitting a red cloud of lost blood just dont seem right.

Hi froggyluv

Surpringly you can be injured and not know it. It is not uncommon practice after a fierce battle to check over each other to see if you were hit.

I did rescue first aid as part of training to be a climbing instructor. We are taught to pat down people who are injured to look for more serious injuries they have not noticed. I seem to remember that is standard for any first aid course.

I regularly find out I am bleeding after climbing Gritstone because some one says to me; "Where is all that blood from?"

It is only some time after they tell me, that it begins to hurt.

Kind Regards walker

Hello Walker,

yes, its true that sometimes we dont feel pain at the height of the moment due to adrenaline, endorphins etc... I've broken my lil finger twice while grappling but didnt notice until my coach told me my pinky was pointing the wrong way :p

I've never been shot by a bullet but I was shot point blank (best friend) in the back with the pointy-headed pellets and I most surely gave a reaction then (you M*thaF88$er!!!) as a kid.

The point really is that yes, even tho that happens sometimes, the game should reflect the usual occurance -especially since witnessing animations is one of our only real sense when playing. Lets face it, we want to see the effects of our weapons -I don't mean Hollywood effects -but effects none the less. I dont think anyone would be happy if recently killed soldiers just lifted a white flag that said "dead" on it -we want to see the animation play out in a realistic and yes, entertaining fashion.

The other point is the stun -again, although I'm sure it happens that the recently shot in RL, have zero stun effect (due to same reasons above) -I would guess that is the exception, not the rule. It doesn't "feel" right that you can shoot an AI -and he shoots right back immediately after being hit with zero reaction determinable.

I think Warband does a good job of both reacting to hits and being stunned if only briefly -has a real effect on the outcome of the skirmish. I know Warband features an optional ragdoll setting (another great idea), but these stun/reaction animations come even without them -good stuff.

Hmm...youtube not showing properly. Heres direct link to realism mod in which you can see stun effects:

Edited by froggyluv