Sign in to follow this  

Textures are Gorgeous soul..... You're textures make me want to rip out your talent gland and feed my younglings... It would sustain them for years!

So those bolts and panels and stuff are from a photo?

no those are hand drawn with the pencil tool then blended a few times.

That looks very nice. Any plans for Shamu/European 1 or SAC liveries?

IMHO the only truly good way to get a real effect is by using photo manipulation and blending.

1000% true!

As for the pencil-drawn bolts; I use a slightly different approach; see below:

Type tool :)

A simple line of dots, with customizable size and shape dependng on the font used. When rasterized it can be blended in with additional effects /shadow,emboss, bevel etc etc. very easily.

:) superb looking, can't wait to see the fuselage

Very nice progress already, but what does this mean:

Im planning not to have any passangers transportable. But this allows you to paint it into any livery you want. Modelwise there will be a civilian....

So no 265 to 380 passangers?

Textures look awesome Soul Assasin :)

Nice to see a DC-10 too

1000% true!

As for the pencil-drawn bolts; I use a slightly different approach; see below:

Type tool :)

A simple line of dots, with customizable size and shape dependng on the font used. When rasterized it can be blended in with additional effects /shadow,emboss, bevel etc etc. very easily.

:) superb looking, can't wait to see the fuselage

Whats the advantage over having just set spacing on the pencil brush? There is really no need for the embross/shadow stuff as proper aircraft rivets are flush with the surface. Also with 2k textures 1 pixel rivets is pretty much the highest size you can use, anything above will look just wrong. And also with pencil you can draw straight lines in any direction using the Shift key.

Whats the advantage over having just set spacing on the pencil brush? There is really no need for the embross/shadow stuff as proper aircraft rivets are flush with the surface. Also with 2k textures 1 pixel rivets is pretty much the highest size you can use, anything above will look just wrong. And also with pencil you can draw straight lines in any direction using the Shift key.

I suppose it would depend on how close you are to the rivet, no?

Personally, I've only used 1px lines too, but if your UV map has a section that's particularly large for extra detail, I could see this coming in handy.

But hey, I'm an amateur texturer, so I don't know much. :)

Abs

There is really no need for the embross/shadow stuff as proper aircraft rivets are flush with the surface.

Well, not on every aircraft. The the advantage of that would be for those aircraft that don't have flush rivets. As I'm building up the bump map for my helicopter, I notice that some are somewhat flush, some are not so flush, and some are not even close to flush (like giant screws sticking out everywhere). I guess the application of topas's technique would be in the case that the rivets were not flush.

I suppose it would depend on how close you are to the rivet, no?

Personally, I've only used 1px lines too, but if your UV map has a section that's particularly large for extra detail, I could see this coming in handy.

But hey, I'm an amateur texturer, so I don't know much. :)

Abs

There comes an inconsistency issue, basically you have to be careful that all sections of the aircraft that have the same scale on the uvmap (easily checked with the checker map, all squares same size) otherwise rivets and panel lines would have different thickness all around.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Well, not on every aircraft. The the advantage of that would be for those aircraft that don't have flush rivets. As I'm building up the bump map for my helicopter, I notice that some are somewhat flush, some are not so flush, and some are not even close to flush (like giant screws sticking out everywhere). I guess the application of topas's technique would be in the case that the rivets were not flush.

the rivets you refer to are not the standard, but the reinforced rivets for high stressed areas. Btw also depends on the materials used.

the flush rivet is called the countersunk, the slightly rounded is the universal and the completely rounded is called round head.

I think in the case of the helicopter, the giant screws are also used for access panels. On this helicopter the rivets don't seem to be sunk as a rule. It seems like they thought that 150 knots was fast enough. At any rate, on your texture, your rivets and panels look good :), which is why I was shocked when you said they were all photo blended textures. I've made off angle uv unwraps to capture texture and detail information off of photographs before, but textures made like that are a lot of trouble.

Edited by Max Power

military vehicles have a completely different regime. Better engines (higher power/weight ratio, but worse fuel efficiency) allow for cutbacks in aerodynamics in favor of reinforcement for tighter maneuvering.

anyway:

dc104.jpg

Will all the hydraulics etc be animated? :D

Oh man... I just want to see this beauty in game :p

Wow, don't think I've ever seen tires on any vehicle so detailed o_o I mean you can see the wear and pavement residue on them. Anything else people just make grey or something but wow xo Nice detail. Almost looks like you can see the pebbles from the runway stuck in there too xD

That was admitted to being fake by BIS. Staged just for that shot in the video, which was the NAPA trailer.

[YOUTUBE]sDXoQvn8R4w[YOUTUBE]

Anyways, enough offtopic from me now that we've sorted it out I guess.

Someone help me out here... I don't see any trains in this video?

(Sorry to be offtopic)

Someone help me out here... I don't see any trains in this video?

(Sorry to be offtopic)

, top left corner, right above the "CAM1..." text.