Zipper5

ARMA 2 Patching FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions About ARMA 2 Patches

If you have anything you wish to add to or change about this FAQ, feel free to post it below and it'll be modified accordingly.

What patch do I need?

That depends on which version of ARMA 2 you have. Thankfully you have a one-stop shop for all your ARMA 2 patching needs, which you can find HERE. Each available patch is listed there, as well as descriptions of what they do and what versions they are for.

Keep in mind that the patch for ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead is the same for ARMA 2: Combined Operations.

I have ARMA 2: Combined Operations, but I only see patches for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead. Do I need to install both?

No, you only need to install the patch for ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead as it includes the patch for ARMA 2 in it.

How can I tell if my DLCs are up-to-date?

For the time-being, there are 3 ways you can do this:

1. Check the date that the latest patch for the DLC was released, as well as the last date one of your DLC PBOs was modified. If the date it was modified is before the release of the patch, then you need to update.
  2. Download the latest patch, which you can find HERE, for the DLC and see if it wants to update. If not, then it is up-to-date.
  3. Check the changelog of the latest patch for the DLC and check for the same changes in-game with DLC additions. If they aren't there, then you need to update.

I hear there is a public beta patch testing process?

Yes! Beta patches are released regularly on the beta patch portal, which can be found HERE. Keep in mind that these are beta patches, so don't be surprised if you run into some issues when using them, but if you want to have the newest possible publicly available version of your game, then using the beta patches is the way to go.

Note that each new beta patch released from now on will require ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead or ARMA 2: Combined Operations.

When I install a beta patch, I get an error when I try to launch the game, and the game does not start.

When using beta patches you must change your shortcut to point towards the beta exe, and you must also make it run the beta patch folder as a mod. The target line of your shortcut has to include something similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\expansion

How can I know when a new patch is released?

Keep an eye on these forums for all news on new patches. If you are looking for the latest beta patches, keep an eye on THIS section of the forum, as a new thread will be made for each new beta patch, and/or regularly check the beta patch portal.

Textures on some units are low quality, no matter what my texture settings are!

This is because of the DLC Lite policy. To ensure multiplayer compatibility with the release of DLC for ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead, a Lite version of each DLC pack is included in the official patches so that you can play with people who own the full DLC. This Lite package of the DLC restricts the resolution of the textures, the quality of the sounds, and the length of any missions included, but only to content which would otherwise come with owning the DLCs.

Previous final patches have slightly increased the quality of these Lite packages, so you can expect this to be a reoccurring change!

What should I do if my version is on Steam?

Steam should automatically update your version of the game to the latest final patch. However, you can still install and use the latest beta patches which you can get from the beta patch portal located HERE. You will now have to launch the game by going to the folder where the Steam version of the game is installed, which you can find within ...\Steam\steamapps\common, and use the new exe located in the folder ...\Expansion\beta. See the above beta patch section, and adjust your shortcut accordingly.

I'm sure I have the latest final patch, but many vanilla multiplayer servers show up as having a different version than me. I'm not running any unofficial mods either, so what is the problem?

This is typically due to the aforementioned beta patch process. If you are running, for example, v1.57 Final of ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead and the server you are trying to join shows up as having a different version, so long as the server is not running, for example, v1.58, you should be able to join it with minimal issues. If you want to eliminate this problem all together, then visit the beta patch portal HERE and download and install the latest beta patch.

Edited by Zipper5

Okay - how are we certain that all DLC content is up-to-date, I've installed, but I would like to confirm - how do we do this?

I think after installing the 1.57 patch if you're ArmA ver is up to 1.08 (if it isn't then I think you have to patch ArmA2 to 1.08 then install the 1.57 patch) you have to patch the BAF to 1.02 with the BAF 1.00 to 1.02 patch.

Only thing is I'm not too sure if you install the BAF before running the 1.57. IIRC the 1.57 patch includes the BAF lite (can't find any reference to it) so if it does , then you'd want to install the BAF before the 1.57.... :confused:

I don't have the other DLC so not too sure what you'd do with that.Confusing enough with the BAF.

You can apply the 1.57 patch at any time. I installed BAF and PMC after 1.57 and just reapplied 1,57. The patch will check the files and update only the outdated files.

Well, despite the obvious differences... such as added missions and equipment and such - when the patches (if they do) only incorporate hotfixes - how do we check if the patches are installed. Right-clicking the executables doesn't reveal a version number - so how do we check this?

Well, right now you can check to see if you have the right version of the DLCs because the latest patch, the 1.58RC patch, added .bi2.bisign files for each of the PBOs. However, the only other ways to check this are if you check the date the PBOs were last modified and see if it's after the date a patch was released, or by downloading the latest patch and seeing if it updates your DLCs.

Well, right now you can check to see if you have the right version of the DLCs because the latest patch, the 1.58RC patch, added .bi2.bisign files for each of the PBOs. However, the only other ways to check this are if you check the date the PBOs were last modified and see if it's after the date a patch was released, or by downloading the latest patch and seeing if it updates your DLCs.

Thanks Zipper - I see you amended the FAQ - feel free to delete my posts if you wish.

It would be nice to update this sticky and add: If you tried all the above, try installing the patch in debug mode.

I have got problems with patching both Arma2 and OA. After extracting the patch, a Windows message popps up "BISPatch has encountered a problem and needs to close. ..." I tried to download the Patch from different places evey time the same Problem. I dicided to completly reinstall Arma2 and OA and when the OA-Setup is trying to Patch Arma 2 same Problem. I think i've tried everything but for me it`s not possible to patch anymore.

Is there someone who has an idear, what i can try next?

My specs:

Win XP 32bit SP3

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

4GB Ram (3,25 because of XP)

AMD Radeon HD 6870

...Problem solved...

Edited by OneTwo

I want to make sure I understood it correctly:

I have ArmA II, Arrowhead, and both the BAS and PMC DLC. Can I:

Install ArmA II

Install Arrowhead

Install BAS DLC

Install PMC DLC

Apply Arrowhead & Reinforcements Patch 1.59

...and everything would be up-to-date?

yes, as long as the ARMA 2 is 1.05 or higher, if you install e.g. ARMA 2 1.02 then it needs to be updated by that standalone 1.0x to 1.09 updater

I have vanilla Arma II installed via DVD on Windows 7 to my games hard drive (separate from my Operating system).

I try to patch it up to 1.09 but when I run the patch it shows an extracting bar then absolutely nothing happens. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Solved this.

I opened the zip and extracted the contents. Then I opened the extracted exe with winrar which contained the proper patch exe and the battleeye install.

Ran the exe as admin and it seems to to patching up now. :bounce3:

QUOTE POST #1

I have ARMA 2: Combined Operations, but I only see patches for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead. Do I need to install both?

No, you only need to install the patch for ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead as it includes the patch for ARMA 2 in it.

I take this to mean that in order to patch Combined Operations version of vanilla A2 I just run the AOA patch.

I tried this and it said that Operation Arrowhead was not installed on my computer - which it isn't. I need to make a separate post for this for a more serious patch issue.

I have this issue sorted out now. BAF Lite etc. Thanks...DA

I am having an issue with Patch 1.59 running on an install of ArmA 2 Combined Operations. The DVD box set contains an ArmA 2 DVD which I installed and then opened the game once. I then Installed ArmA OA into the same directory that I installed ArmA 2 and opened it once using the Combined Operations shortcut. I made a few adjustments to the controls, audio and video settings via the in game menu and started and exited CO a couple of times.

I downloaded the Patch 1.59 via two different locations. Both are the same size and number of files so I am pretty sure I have a good copy. The patch runs and seems to update ArmA 2 and ArmA OA but fails on both BAF and PMC. I thought that the low rez version of these addons came with the patches? I have the DLC purchased and installed on both of my machines at home but on thin install on my PC at work (where I will only edit missions in my spare time) I was going to go with the low rez version of BAF and PMC. Is this still possible?

I don't mind purchasing the expansions if necessary so please let me know if that should work with the ArmA 2 CO DVDs instal.

Thanks...David

I have installed the DVD set ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead

Edited by DArmstrong

Er...whoops where's the delete post key?

Edited by All-a-Mort
My stupidity

I've never had troubles updating a patch til now. I have Arma2 installed in my Program Files (x86) folder, yet in the readme for the patch it only shows or expects Arma2 to be in the default Program Files folder. I get any error saying i dont have Arma2 when i try to run the patch. No option to change directory.

Do i have to uninstall Arma2 and reinstall it into my Program Files folder in order to get this to install the latest patch?

Got a new SSD and need to re-install, recommended install/patch order?

I have Arma 2 Vanilla, ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead, and BAF.

I bought Arma 2 Combat Operations recently via Sprocket and installed Arma 2 Combat Operation files first and after the Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead.

The program worked fine but found there were several patches so I thought I'd better install them, before getting in to trouble!

There is a lot of confusion which patches to apply as there seems to be several combinations of either standalone installations or combined ones.

In the end I decided to apply patch 1.10 for Arma2. I found that with this I couldn't apply update 1.59 for Operation Arrowhead as it had a lower version number than I got after applying the Arma2 Combined Operations patch 1.10.

Obviously it updated OA too.

But now the game crashes after playing for some minutes and before diving into all technical details I'd like to know if I did the right update?

I have not applied any previous patches before 1.10 as I belived the update to be cumulative, i.e. including all previous updates. I think this should be clearly stated when releasing patches so there are no doubts, even for newbies! Furthermore, among "Latest News" at the website you can read about update 1.09 for Arma2 and also the update 1.59 for OA and Reinforements as "now available".

Can anyone help me with a proper explanation? What is valid and what to do!

And please guys! Write a proper update/patching manual and remove all outdated crap from the website!

I have bought both Arma2 and Arma2:Reinforcements and have been enjoying the game a lot, but whenever I try to install a patch a box comes up saying that either the game isn't installed or the installation is corrupted. I have tried the patches for both A2 and Reinforcements as well as the beta patches and none of them work. Reinstalling the game does not work either. The game is quite buggy so patches are a bit of a must have

I'm so confused with the way the expansions are being patched differently..

This is how I bought and installed..

(1) ARMA2, Installed and patches to 1.08

(2) Op Arrow head, Installed and patched to 1.58

(After the 1.58 patch, I saw I had the BAF/PMC Lite.)

(3) BAF and PMC separately (not Reinforcements), and patched those respectively.

Now, when I load the Armory, I have Duplicate weapons and vehicles in the lists for the BAF and PMC units.

Is this normal? Sometimes (even during the full campaigns for BAF/PMC) It will choose a low res model, and sometimes a high res model.

is there a way to remove the LITE version?

Or is it a matter of installation and patching order?

I have bought both Arma2 and Arma2:Reinforcements and have been enjoying the game a lot, but whenever I try to install a patch a box comes up saying that either the game isn't installed or the installation is corrupted. I have tried the patches for both A2 and Reinforcements as well as the beta patches and none of them work. Reinstalling the game does not work either. The game is quite buggy so patches are a bit of a must have

I have to confirm this. After a total system chrash i trie to install it all again startimng with ArmA II...but i cant patch it...every patch, and i tried threm all from 1.00-1.01 up to 1.00-1.09 on a fresh install...dis three fresh intalls on formated frives so far ...not a single patch works...they al terminate with a failure message be it anims.pbo, dubbing.pbo or air.pbo.

Basically im out of the game now since i cant get it to work after 2,5 years anymore. Im beginnign too feel a bit desparate as i try to get it to work the second day now, did even a ful IOS reibnstall...no joy...other games like LockOn or DCS work fine on my PC.

Failure message while patching looks like this:

Bitte haben Sie Geduld. Dieses Update kann sehr lange brauchen, da es sehr viele grosse Dateien verändert oder installiert.

ARMA II DVD

ArmA 2: Aktualisierung der Version 1.01 auf Version 1.06...

Update 1.01-1.02\ADDONS\ANIMS.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.01-1.02\ADDONS\DUBBING.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.02-1.03\ADDONS\ANIMS.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.02-1.03\ADDONS\DUBBING.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Edited by Beagle

I have to confirm this. After a total system chrash i trie to install it all again startimng with ArmA II...but i cant patch it...every patch, and i tried threm all from 1.00-1.01 up to 1.00-1.09 on a fresh install...dis three fresh intalls on formated frives so far ...not a single patch works...they al terminate with a failure message be it anims.pbo, dubbing.pbo or air.pbo.

Basically im out of the game now since i cant get it to work after 2,5 years anymore. Im beginnign too feel a bit desparate as i try to get it to work the second day now, did even a ful IOS reibnstall...no joy...other games like LockOn or DCS work fine on my PC.

Failure message while patching looks like this:

Did you try to patch after starting windows on safe mod / debug mod ?

Did you try to patch after starting windows on safe mod / debug mod ?
No, normal operation mode, made a full reinstall of OS including newest GFX drivers and updates to XP SP3, dx 9.29 all up to date. It's just ArmA II that refuses to be patched.

I have the german DVD 1.00 version.

ArmA OA alone does not help much theses days since CO is the MP standard.