Sign in to follow this  
fflyer

Hind Gunner question

So I am doing this mission where motorized infantry invades a village and I pilot the hind. I take out the ACPs with the Ataka guided missles or S8 unguided rockets (switching to manual fire) and then try to take out the riflemen. I tell the gunner to fire and switch to the cannon. However, the gunner does nothing even when you tell him to target a particular soldier. In a tank, this always works and the gunner will machine gun the target. On the hind, nothing happens.

So I am doing this mission where motorized infantry invades a village and I pilot the hind. I take out the ACPs with the Ataka guided missles or S8 unguided rockets (switching to manual fire) and then try to take out the riflemen. I tell the gunner to fire and switch to the cannon. However, the gunner does nothing even when you tell him to target a particular soldier. In a tank, this always works and the gunner will machine gun the target. On the hind, nothing happens.
What Hind version?

If it is the one with the fixed gun it can't work that way.

What Hind version?

If it is the one with the fixed gun it can't work that way.

What Beagle said.

The MI-24P has a fixed twin barreled 30mm cannon that has zero traverse ability. I still prefer it to the V which is only a 12.7mm Gatling gun and has no splash damage.

Edit: actually he's flying the P, the V has Shturm missiles not Ataka.

So I just tried it with the V version which has the YakB cannon. The gunner will quite often switch to S8 rockets by himself, and when I switch back to YakB he occasionally fires but most of the time he does nothing and then switches back to S8s.

With Player as pilot in the Mi-24V, press 'F' to cycle to the YakB cannon, and when the gunner spots targets he'll fire several bursts and then he'll auto-cycle back to rockets, (and he'll fire the rockets if the chopper is pointing at the target)

Hit 'F' again to cycle back to the YakB cannon and he'll fire several more bursts before stopping again.

You have to repeatedly hit 'F' to keep kicking his butt to make him use the cannon, he fires bursts every time you hit 'F'..

AA-Hind-V.jpg

PS- As a matter of interest, the enemy infantry don't fire back at the chopper as long as it's airborne even when I flew to about 50 metres range at only 20 foot off the ground and hovered in front of them.

But the instant I landed, a storm of rifle and RPG-type fire ripped the chopper apart.

Same thing happened in another test with an Apache, the enemy never fired a shot at it while it was in the air, but when it landed they went ballistic and threw everything at it.

Must be a bug if they won't engage airborne choppers.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

It's essentially a bug, yes. It would be better if the AI could judge when an aircraft is low and slow enough to become a target for combined small arms fire.

Thanks, I'll try it. So spot a target and then switch to gun, right?

As far as being shot while flying. I think that machine gunners do open fire. When I was flying the same mission using the mi-8, my front gunner was shot and shortly after, I got killed mid flight. (height about 20~30 meters at 30~40 kph)

That's true. But the riflemen and other soldiers wont open up until you actually land. This serves the purpose of conserving ammo and not giving away positions, but often leaves troops defenceless, when combined fire might at least have some effect.

Thanks, I'll try it. So spot a target and then switch to gun, right?..

As pilot, you don't have to spot for the gunner, he opens fire automatically when he spots targets in range.

(In external view you'll see the YakB cannon auto-swivelling around to engage, you don't have to point the chopper at the target)

Just make sure the selected weapon is the YakB by repeatedly pressing 'F' to make him fire more bursts.

(I think the reason he keeps wanting to switch to rockets is because they're more destructive than the cannon, bless his little AI heart)

You can of course leave rockets selected, but as pilot you'll have the tricky job of flying the chopper to point at the target so the gunner will fire them.

I'll give that a shot as well. I don't really have trouble telling the gunner who to shoot next, as the level of multi-tasking is still way below Black Shark :) I primarily got Arma2 so that I can do troop deployments on a chopper and then do air support. The flight model is definitely lacking in fidelity, but its still pretty fun.

As pilot, you don't have to spot for the gunner, he opens fire automatically when he spots targets in range.

(In external view you'll see the YakB cannon auto-swivelling around to engage, you don't have to point the chopper at the target)

Just make sure the selected weapon is the YakB by repeatedly pressing 'F' to make him fire more bursts.

(I think the reason he keeps wanting to switch to rockets is because they're more destructive than the cannon, bless his little AI heart)

You can of course leave rockets selected, but as pilot you'll have the tricky job of flying the chopper to point at the target so the gunner will fire them.

For Christs sake, start using ACE. There you have full controll of the unguided rockets as pilot, just like it should be. And the gunner won´t try to switch to them constantly