Sign in to follow this  
wolffy.au

Multi-Session Operations v3.3 is released!

Download:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mso/files

What is an MSO?

The Multi-Session Operation (MSO) is a reality-based game mode: it is a persistent mission simulating real-life warfare to the best of our abilities with ARMA 2's capabilities. Unlike hour-long single-session missions that restart when the players disconnect, an MSO mission can persist for days, weeks even. When you disconnect, your location, health, weapons and ammunition are saved for when you reconnect. Up to 4,000 enemy units could be out there waiting for you 24 hours a day. Most of the components revolve around realism, although its up to the mission editor what their MSO consists of.

The seeds of the MSO began with Rommel during ARMA 1 until recently when a request was put out to assist in developing this game mode. Nov, 2010 - Wolffy joined in the development of the game mode to the point where we are today. Other members have contributed greatly testing and creating documentation.

Here are two of our manuals:

The MSO is a collaboration between Australian Armed Forces clan and AEF Combat Team Bravo.

If you have any questions or are truly interested in making and developing MSO missions with us, then contact us on our website, Skype or Teamspeak.

Forums: http://www.ausarma.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=49

Dev-Heaven: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mso

Teamspeak: ts.ausarma.org port 9987

What are MSO modules?

The MSO is really a mission building framework, with 3 example missions provided. It contains a number of modules that can be included in your missions if you wish.

The modules provided are:

• RMM After-Action Reports: You'll need a radio to submit AAR's. Let players that come online after you know where you engaged, how many were there, etc. Usually good to mark it up with a JIP marker.
  • RMM Close Air Support: Call in an A10, Apache or Cobra to lend a hand.
  • RMM CASEVAC (in development): Call in a dust-off chopper.
  • CEP AI Unit Caching: Originally based on Myke's CEP AI Caching, reduces AI squads to squad leaders only if all players are 1000m away.
  • CRB Ambient Civilians, Traffic, Vehicles and Animals: A patched version of the BIS modules that works perfectly on dedicated servers with minimal CPU load.
  • RMM Construction: Simplified Construction module
  • CRB Convoys: Spawns random convoys from the edges of the map to a destination. Great for recon and ambushing.
  • RMM Call To Prayer: Initiates a Call To Prayer multiple times of the day while in Takistan or Zargabad.
  • RMM Developer Debug Console: Great for debug or spawning objects.
  • CRB Dogs: Uses Big Daddy's Blitzy code to provide wild dog packs and patrol dogs.
  • Random Enemy Population: Spawn random enemy throughout the map on hill tops, in forests and within towns. Can populate the map with thousands of AI waiting to spawn when you come within range of them.
  • CRB ATV/Motorbike Flippable: Useful for up-righting ATVs and Motorbikes
  • Gen Carvers Pack Cow: Uses General Carvers Insurgency Pack Cow.
  • RMM JIP Markers: Persistent time stamped markers that stay on the map between sessions.
  • RMM Logbook: Journal for general information
  • RMM Logistics: Simplified Logistics system
  • Multiplayer Rights: Restrict players to infantry, crew and pilot roles (see below).
  • RMM NOMAD: This is the MSO module. NOMAD maintains the persistence in between sessions.
  • R3F Logistics: R3F Logistics for MSO.
  • Recruitment: Recruit and control AI for your squad. Uses Dr Eyeball’s Team Status UI.
  • RMM Revive: Simplified Medic Revive system.
  • RMM View Distance Settings: Set your view distance and terrain grid detail.
  • RMM JIP Tasks: Persistent tasks that stay with players between sessions.
  • RMM Tyres: Allows the changing of tyres on vehicles
  • RMM Weather: Randomly synchronised weather generation and forecast.
  • Customised ZORA: Using BIS ZORA module, generates enemy randomly who will head towards you within a few kilometers of your position. Great for those random incursions.

Item Re-Supply

Due to the length of these mission, re-supply of building supplies, ammunition and vehicles needs to be catered for. There are 2 types of re-supply:

• static re-supply (building materials, ammo crates, etc) whereby items are respawned once they have been move 10m from their original location, and
  • vehicle re-supply (vehicles, artillery pieces)whereby, once the item is destroyed will it be respawned.

Sample Missions

Mission: GUE/PMC vs RU/INS on Utes

Version: 3.3

Developer(s): Wolffy.au

Required Add-Ons: CBA

Mission: BAF/USA vs TK_GUE on Takistan

Required Add-Ons: CBA (optionally BAF)

Mission: AAW/ACE vs GUE on Chernarus

Required Add-Ons: CBA, ACE, ACEX, AAW_OA (optionally ACEX_RU)

How do you play the sample missions?

It is really up to the imagination of your Commanding Officer. Typically this will involve recon, patrols, assaulting static positions, clearing areas and settings up Checkpoints and Fire-bases, or recon and ambush of enemy convoys.

If you’re by yourself, go do some recon or covert ops. Place JIP Markers for what you see and add Tasks to the mission. When the next bunch of guys come in, they can take over where you left off.

Take a moment to familiarise yourself with the layout of your FOB and the resources available to you. When you find the infantry ammunition crates, carefully select your equipment to ensure you can remain combat effective for several days on patrol. Do not count on resupply in the field.

Frequently Asked Questions

• Why can’t I connect anymore?
    Most likely, you’re trying to connect as a different class than you did the first time. Just choose the class you previously used and it should be fine.
    The only other reason is that you’ve run out of lives. You’ll have to wait until the mission is restarted to join again.
  • What am I supposed to do again?
    Go on a patrol or recon an MSR. Make sure you mark what you engage and see using JIP Markers and fill out your AAR’s ASAP for the rest of the team to benefit.
  • Will the vehicles respawn?
    They’ll only respawn if completely destroyed. If they are repairable, mark them on the map using JIP Markers and treat it as an objective to recover them.
  • What should I take with me on patrol?
    MASH tent, ammunition, a mortar is handy, some spare tyres and anything else you think would be great to have in a squeeze.
  • Why is there so much mess at the base?
    Its all building materials for you to go forth and reproduce. Pack what you need in a shipping container (transport by heli) or in a truck, and go setup a Fire Base on a hill top somewhere. Your team will really appreciate the Artillery if you need to take down something big.

Server Installation and Setup

The one thing the server admins will need to do is setup MP Rights. Create an mso directory under your server’s ARMA2 directory (for example C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\mso) and create a text file called mso_uids.txt.

Its contents should look something like this:

[
   ["1234", "CORPORAL", ["crew"]], /*namex*/
   ["4567", "PRIVATE", ["pilot"]], /*namey*/
   ["7890", "LIEUTENANT", ["admin"]], /*adminx*/
   ["6789", "SERGEANT", ["pilot","crew"]] /*namez*/
]

Each line identifies a players UID, rank and roles. Without these, new players should not be able to crew armour, pilot aircraft or use the admin debug console.

This sounds like an awesome addition to the game. Will try it now. This will be great for just jumping on, getting back into the fight, and then leaving when mom calls for dinner, LOL. Great job.

EDIT- I think this should belong in the ArmA II Operation Arrowhead section, as it's showing it's in ArmA - User Missions at the moment.

Edited by Raptor 6 Actual
Additional Info

Very good work. As me and my Clan prefer playing with ACE-Mod, I´d like to know if the MSO is compatible with the features of the ACE-Mod.

There is a sample mission using AAW units and ACE. If you change the units, its an ACE MSO.

So yes, it is compatible with ACE - just some of the modules might not be used when used with ACE like Changing Tyres, Logistics, Revive, etc.

Very good work. As me and my Clan prefer playing with ACE-Mod, I´d like to know if the MSO is compatible with the features of the ACE-Mod.

Already is, Chernarus version. :D

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

This sounds like an awesome addition to the game. Will try it now. This will be great for just jumping on, getting back into the fight, and then leaving when mom calls for dinner, LOL. Great job.

EDIT- I think this should belong in the ArmA II Operation Arrowhead section, as it's showing it's in ArmA - User Missions at the moment.

We've had it on our server for 4 days straight now and it's going great. It is a really brilliant gamemode.

Wow, this is incredible. Why's it hiding in the ArmA1 forum?

Does this require a persistent server to be up 24/7 or is there some kind of save mechanism?

+

Do the sample missions actually have end conditions? Or do they just respawn and last until the server crashes?

Edited by bhaz

Wow, this is incredible. Why's it hiding in the ArmA1 forum?

Does this require a persistent server to be up 24/7 or is there some kind of save mechanism?

+

Do the sample missions actually have end conditions? Or do they just respawn and last until the server crashes?

Yeah, location is my fault. I've just PM'd the Mods to move it.

Yes, it needs a persistent server 24x7. All persistant info is kept in RAM and is lost on a mission restart.

End Conditions - :butbut: I forgot all about those. The aim is to clear the map and no, I didn't include a trigger to end the mission once its done. Will see what I can do in the next version. Enemy don't respawn, but you've got quite a few to kill before you're done. :)

The mission editor guide seems to be outdated. It tells you to include a couple of 1-2-liners into your description.ext and your init.sqf. However, some of those conflicted with 'class'es already defined in the description-mso.ext and similar for the init-mso.sqf.

The correct procedure seems to be to just use the preprocessor defines to include the modules you want, with the exception of those scripts lines that should be placed in initialization lines of units. In the sample missions these preprocessor commands is placed in a file in the module folder and this file inclusion is hardcoded into the init/description-mso.ext files.

We are currently updating it Muzzleflash.

Well, we have been running this on our clan server for about 12h, working great so far, no major things that we noticed.

sadly the server were set to not persistent so the mission had to be restarted :P

But all in all great work on this, with serious playing and command structure this is really nice, looking forward to next release!

How did you set your up? I keep having problems where everyone but me starts hanging on Init: MPRights. Ideas anyone?

How did you set your up? I keep having problems where everyone but me starts hanging on Init: MPRights. Ideas anyone?

You are missing the MP rights file on the server, I'll advise Wolffy of a fail safe so if the server doesn't find it it continues initialization, at this moment the mission asserts that the file is there or it doesn't continue.

Guys if you make the mso_uids Text file Don't add de .txt at the end.

Then the server will not find the file.

Thats what i saw on my home server last night.

Questions.

-Do I have to make my own Tasks for a mission ore is there also Tasks already in the axciting mission?

And if so Do i have to make them in the editor ore i there some kinda VBS thing.

-Yes, it needs a persistent server 24x7. All persistant info is kept in RAM and is lost on a mission restart

IS there not some log ore file that you can copy? and then when the server needs restart you copy the file and set it back up when the restart is done?

Edited by pepperana

Yeah, good point Pepperana.

An other quistion.

Do I have to make my own Tasks for a mission ore is there also Tasks already in the axciting mission?

And if so Do i have to make them in the editor ore i there some kinda VBS thing.

You have to make your own. You should be able to create Tasks by switching to the map and pressing the Interation Key (on the right Popup key by default).

Thanks for the reply wolffy!

Do you also have an answer on my other question?

-Yes, it needs a persistent server 24x7. All persistant info is kept in RAM and is lost on a mission restart

IS there not some log ore file that you can copy? and then when the server needs restart you copy the file and set it back up when the restart is done?

Bugs we found on yesterdays playthrough. both ace and non ace.

Patrolling squads have a tendancy to respawn after making contact. They will be in a prone position then all of the sudden be standing up / respawned to their original position.

The text file was giving me a hard time when I tried to add a bunch of us into it (stopped at init. player rights i think its called). It also seemed to have no bearing on who can do what. If they weren't on it, they still could access what they wanted.

------ thats all I can remember right now sorry

suggestions

We loaded up a bunch of things into a conex box and also into a heli at one point and it was shot down while in transit. What are the respawn times when something like that happens. I read something about 2 to 8 hours which seems waaay too long for a public game.

More parameters ie. time of day, respawn times and so on. This is mission specific I realize.

------------

Cant wait to see more missions built around this, keep up the good work.

Sleep;1847648']Bugs we found on yesterdays playthrough. both ace and non ace.

Patrolling squads have a tendancy to respawn after making contact. They will be in a prone position then all of the sudden be standing up / respawned to their original position.

The text file was giving me a hard time when I tried to add a bunch of us into it (stopped at init. player rights i think its called). It also seemed to have no bearing on who can do what. If they weren't on it' date=' they still could access what they wanted.[/b']

------ thats all I can remember right now sorry

suggestions

We loaded up a bunch of things into a conex box and also into a heli at one point and it was shot down while in transit. What are the respawn times when something like that happens. I read something about 2 to 8 hours which seems waaay too long for a public game.

More parameters ie. time of day, respawn times and so on. This is mission specific I realize.

------------

Cant wait to see more missions built around this, keep up the good work.

I just started messing with this myself, great idea, looks very promising.

Did you see the post a couple replies up? Maybe that has something to do with the user rights?

pepperana

Guys if you make the mso_uids Text file Don't add de .txt at the end.

Then the server will not find the file.

I'm glad I read that, I just threw up a server and hadn't even noticed that it wasn't working right yet... I'm not that far into it yet, but can't wait to make some missions.

EDIT - I misunderstood that quote... the file should be called mso_uids.txt

working now I think

Edited by Mosh

Im pretty sure I named it right, it was only when i started adding the CPL pilot,crew player names that it went all finicky. the admin slots worked fine (i think).

The main issue was that if they werent on the list they still had access to everything.

Renaming to mso-uids just halted the MP-Permissions init for me.

A big group of us playing it at HC atm, loving the AAR function, everyone is getting involved.

Major bug is with the CAS, I got a CTD.

Guys, appreciate all your assistance here and just to let you know most of the bugs being mentioned are already logged on Dev-Heaven.

Yes, mso_uids.txt file, apart from halting initialisation appears not to work anyway - not sure what happened there. It will be fixed in the next release.

Likewise, we know about CAS CTD, its logged and will be fixed for next release.

If you're not sure what the Dev-Heaven site is, its http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mso

No, its not that easy especially with JIP players. We'll think about how to do it and one day get there.

Edited by Wolffy.au

Wolffy.au i really like your mission ;-)

its like a fresh wind for ArmA Missions.

maybe you can add some random ieds that would be perfect:cool:

Heh, we used to have IED's and a triggerman would wait and touch them off. Maybe in the future!

Download:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mso/files

Change Log v3.31:

- Added Convoy tasks (thanks Kieran)

- Fixed CAS

- CAS Increased fly height to 500m

- Changed caching based on Groups instead of Team Leaders

- Removed disable simulation of Team Leaders to allow them to continue patrolling

- Exits caching FSM if all units dead (hopefully fix the zombie respawn bug)

- Fixed MP rights (mso\mso_uids.txt)

- Added disable MP Rights mission parameter

- Implemented Bon's Pilot/Crew checking FSM

- Added infinite lives mission parameter

- Renabled ALT+Click and SHIFT+ALT+Click functionality for JIP Tasks and Markers

Sample missions included:

- AAW/ACE vs TK_GUE on Takistan

- BAF vs RU/INS on Chernarus

- GUE/PMC vs RU/INS on Utes

- BAF/USA vs TK_GUE on Takistan

- AAW/ACE vs RU/INS on Chernarus

PS: I'm still looking for a volunteer to help update the manuals! ;)

Edited by Wolffy.au