Odd stuff when trying to upgrade from OA 1.54 to 1.57
I have the 1.57 OA patch, but when I run it, it starts off fine (but says updating 1.57 to 1.57), but after a bit, a new window opens up, saying it's updating 1.08 to 1.08?! The original 1.57 update window remains open underneath it, both continuing to install.
When all is done, it appears my Combined Operations install is still at 1.54 (based on the version number displayed on the bottom right of the menu screen.
Any ideas what the heck that's all about?
Okay, I think I figured out part of it... I was running the OA Beta Patch version, but didn't realize that it appears that it runs a different version than what the 1.57 patch is updating. When I just manually ran the exe for AO, it showed it as 1.57.... but didn't have any of the mods I included (via the @ mod folder technique), since those are all triggered by the shortcut for the OA Beta Patch version... which, apparently, is no longer applicable, it seems.
So, I'm assuming the 1.57 version is now superior to the 'beta patch' version? Should I just add all my mod folder references to a new shortcut (for the regular exe) now?
---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------
Further update: Seems to be fine now. I just stopped using the Beta Patch shortcut, set up a new shortcut with the mod folder references in the command line, and everything works... patched up, and mods running.
Wow, what a remarkable improvement in fps. I was getting pretty smooth rates as it was, but now it's like silk! Well done guys!
Last edited by ladlon; Jan 28 2011 at 04:08.
Ya, what was confusing was I was running my regular A2/OA, patching them whenever a new patch came out... and then the beta patch came out, which I thought was just like any other patch... but it created a new shortcut, which I was using from that point on (assuming it was business as usual). But, when further updating with future patches, that version was unaffected somehow. In reality, the future patches WERE updating, but the version that my shortcut (created from the beta patch) was not... so it just seemed like the latest OA patch wasn't working (the update number in the menu page didn't change, even though the install seemed to have worked).
But, it's all good now. I just didn't realize that the shortcut the beta patch created was to a unique version of the program that would not be affected by future regular patches. I just created a new shortcut, pointing to the OA.exe, and we're good.