Sign in to follow this  
pooroldspike

Rifle scope black at night question

Hi, I just tried out the Mk17 EGLM RCO rifle in the Armoury at night, but I'm puzzled.

The 1st and 3rd person views are fine (top 2 pics) because the guy is wearing NVG's, but as soon as he looks through the rifle sight (bottom pic) he loses his NVG's and the scope is near-useless because it can't see in the dark.

Is that how the scope is supposed to be, or do I need to press a key to get scope night vision?

AA-Mk17B.jpg

AA-Mk17A.jpg

AA-Mk17C.jpg

Okay thanks.

Follow-up question:- Is there a way to give men specifically-chosen weapons in the Editor rather than have to take the default weapon?

I'm thinking mostly of the huge variety of rifles and MG's, I'd like to try them all out one by one in the Editor (not the Armoury) by day and night so I can do a comprehensive "Rifles/MG's Guide" with screenshots including a view down the scope/sights and a brief note on their night/day/zoom capabilities etc.

(PS- I can't test them properly in the Armoury because it doesn't always randomly give us night, whereas in the Editor we can freely choose night anytime we like)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Generally easiest just to place the required ammo crates so you can pick the desired weapon out yourself but you can also do it with a script snippet in the unit's init field, i.e...

RemoveAllWeapons this; this AddMagazine "200Rnd_556x45_M249"; this AddMagazine "200Rnd_556x45_M249"; this AddWeapon "M249";

Generally easiest just to place the required ammo crates so you can pick the desired weapon out yourself but you can also do it with a script snippet in the unit's init field, i.e...

RemoveAllWeapons this; this AddMagazine "200Rnd_556x45_M249"; this AddMagazine "200Rnd_556x45_M249"; this AddWeapon "M249";

Let me add all the weapon/ammo classes.

EDIT: Though that one doesnt have the OA weapons, and seems to miss some ammo types. Cant be bothered with it now though.

Edited by NeMeSiS

If you want to add weapons and equipment in a simple fashion, might I advertise my addWeapon script in the signature. ;)

Easiest way for your purpose=place Ammocrates (can be found under Empty)

and pick whatever you want

well, the rifle in question here does have a cqb sight that you can use with nvg's on.

i think it's the optics mode key, not sure what it's set to as default though

well, the rifle in question here does have a cqb sight that you can use with nvg's on.

i think it's the optics mode key, not sure what it's set to as default though

"/" on the NumPad by default to switch between regular and CQB sight on so equipped rifles. Some of them are actually quite good.

PoorOldSpike- Ever tried looking through a rifle sight with NVGs on? ;) Something you never really think about when you're used to games that make it seamless.

"/" on the NumPad by default to switch between regular and CQB sight on so equipped rifles..

Thanks mate you've cracked it, I forgot the '/' key on the numpad, duh..

It makes our guy use the iron sights as in the pic below because he can't look through the scope while wearing NVG's-

AA-rif.jpg

For the record here's the baby we've been talking about, the Mk17 EGLM RCO (short for "Enhanced Grenade Launcher Module, Rifle Combat Optics")

AA-mk17EGLM-RCO.jpg

Follow-on question- There are no less than 116 Rifles in Comb Ops (below) but I can't seem to separate them for convenience into Blufor/Opfor on the screen.

As you see, I've selected Blufor but it's also bundled Opfor rifles in the list, what do I click to get separate lists?

AA-rifs.jpg

Generally easiest just to place the required ammo crates so you can pick the desired weapon out yourself...."

Thanks, works like a dream, I've placed standard 'Basic Weapons' crates in the Editor and am taking rifles out one by one to play with, and logging each ones attributes by day and night such as scope types etc, and will do a post in the forum when I've finished.

PS- Can somebody explain what the Laser on many rifles is for? (key 'L').

It sends out a thin laser beam at night at whatever the rifle is pointing at and the beam can be seen with your NVG's but so what?

You've already laid your sights on the target, so what advantage is there of laying your laser on it too?

Laser sights are primarily for use in CQB situations, removing the need to constantly aim down the sights in order to acquire a target. Also used in situations where the focal length of the NVG prohibits you from aiming using optics/other sights.

Laser sights are primarily for use in CQB situations, removing the need to constantly aim down the sights in order to acquire a target. Also used in situations where the focal length of the NVG prohibits you from aiming using optics/other sights.

Hey that's sounds great for close combat, you could even fire from the hip and get a hit provided the laser was on the target..:)

PS- As I understand it, the wavelength of the laser beam is invisible unless you're wearing NVG's, but what if the enemy is wearing NVG's too?

Surely your laser will advertise your position and he'll see you coming from miles away?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

I suppose you would turn it off until the target is in visual range. But while the laser is a dead giveaway as to your position, I don't think NVG are that common in most theoretical opposing forces.

Hi all

You also use them to point where a target is to your buddies.

Kind Regards walker

Regarding Lasers Beams:

They can be very usefull i many situations.

They make your life a lot better in CQB situations.

You can mark enemy positions for your friends. We often use it to mark enemy positions for incoming CAS (just be sure that the pilot knows at which end of the laser beam the enemy is)

Warning: Enemy AI equipped with NV sights will see the laser beam and react to it.

I remember a night mission with my squad where we went like "hey everyone, turn on your Lasers, this looks really cool" while sneaking towards an enemy compound just to be welcomed by deadly accurate machinegun fire

Follow-on question- There are no less than 116 Rifles in Comb Ops (below) but I can't seem to separate them for convenience into Blufor/Opfor on the screen.

As you see, I've selected Blufor but it's also bundled Opfor rifles in the list, what do I click to get separate lists?

Technically, weapons are not bound to a side (as in there is nothing that tells the game what side a weapon belongs to), so you couldn't do this unless you manually compiled a list of which weapons to list for each side (which of course wouldn't be flexible).

M16 ACOG and AK-107 PSO and SMAW has a miracle NV device in it so you can use NV googles with these Weapons. Its due to the fact that old ArmA Content did not get updated. I suggest to usse this ols models to circumvent the problems of real weapons handling and to get fantasy weaponry back.

M16 ACOG and AK-107 PSO and SMAW has a miracle NV device in it so you can use NV googles with these Weapons. Its due to the fact that old ArmA Content did not get updated. I suggest to usse this ols models to circumvent the problems of real weapons handling and to get fantasy weaponry back.

I was under the impression this was changed in one of the patches?

Edit: yeah I just confirmed that this has been fixed.

Edited by Imperator_Pete

Myke;1841182']This scope isn't compatible with NVG's. So this is by design.

can you justify this decision as it makes zero sense

It makes perfect sense. How can you not understand?