IED Detection and Ordnance Disposal Script
Mar 22th, 2011 - my 30th birthday!
Visit us at: www.sr5tactical.net
This script suite allows a unit or vehicle to detect IEDs, explosive ordnance and bombs, allowing disposal functions such as manual defuse, remotely controlled detonations etc. It also features various scripts (original and adapted from other scripts in the community) to create triggermen, suicide bombers, IEDs etc.
- Enhance the EOD department
- Specialize Engineer roles
- Increase the fun in Ordnance Disposal
- Cover an important, realistic and very actual element of modern warfare: improvised explosive devices, car bombs and other guerrilla techniques that vastly affected all modern Middle East war theaters like Afghanistan and Iraq
- Custom images and sounds
- Fully modular for easy installation
- Clean and carefully polished code
- Works with virtually any mod
- Works in SP and MP environments
- Strives to work with all the best and most popular IED scripts available in the ArmA community
- Detector unit receives IED approximated position in the map
- IED position marker relocate dynamically when IED moves (e.g. moving car-bombs)
- Detection range is affected by speed: units and vehicles should move slowly to allow maximum detection range
- Remotely controlled detonation via electromagnetic pulse (EMP)
- Fake IED detections with subsequent "clear" notification when anomaly verifications are found non-consistent
- Manual defuse
- Make any objects a detectable bomb or attach a bomb to it
- Detach and defuse attached detected devices
- Accidentally arm the bomb when manual defuse goes wrong
- Decide whether detectable bombs beep regularly, remain silent or let the script decide, randomly
- Armed bombs start beeping increasingly faster until they explode
- Turn any unit into a triggerman, even unsuspected civilians
- Triggermen can be suicide bombers or have the bomb attached to any object from a specific class (e.g. trashcans, cars, etc.)
- Works with ALICE and SILVIE modules: you can spawn a triggerman from civilians in determined areas, just by using a trigger
- Triggermen will behave as instructed by the AI, the module or the mission maker, until the time is right for them to touch the bomb off
- Triggermen freeze and fear enemy soldiers aiming their weapon on them: having a triggerman or a suspect under your crosshair will decrease the chances of a detonation, allowing maneuvering and refusal, if necessary.
- Triggermen who successfully detonate their bomb or find it defused might surrender, flee or engage into a firefight by drawing a hidden weapon
- Killing a triggerman is considered legit for the ROE only when he reveals his offensive action: shooting civilians to prevent suicide bombers is not right
- Killing a triggerman leaves his bomb intact, meaning it might still go off if damaged and must be considered dangerous (can be detected and defused normally)
- Realistic behavior creates the right amount of pressure and simulation for the virtual environment
- None, this script suite works with any installation of ArmA 2, OA and CO
- It is pretty much 99% update-safe, meaning there is practically no official update that can break the script suite
How to set it up:
1) Copy the following folder into your mission folder:
2) Open the description.sqf and add the #include lines to your description.ext
3) Open the init.sqf and add that line to your init.sqf
4a) In the editor, to turn a unit or vehicle into a detector, put this in its init field:
4b) In the editor, to make an object detectable by a detector unit, put this in the object init field:Spoiler:
4c) In the editor, to attach a detectable IED/bomb to an object, put this in the object init field:Spoiler:
4d) In the editor, to turn an object into a proximity IED, put this in the object init field:Spoiler:
4e) In the editor, to make an AI unit a triggerman (see below for an explanation), put this in the unit init field:Spoiler:
What is a triggerman? A triggerman is a unit that can trigger a bomb remotely (using a cell phone or similar tools).
With this script a triggerman will start to "fear" enemy units (e.g. BLUFOR soldiers) when they get into a determined radius (50, in the example above). The triggerman's fear will build up if an enemy soldier keeps the triggerman targeted in his crosshairs. Keeping a triggerman under your crosshair will give you a good chance to prevent him from touching the bomb off. If you take the crosshairs away from him he will start to take adavantage of the situation (depending on how much he had been kept under guard). Once the triggerman feels safe about it and if he notices potential victims around the bomb area (determined by a radius of "30" in the example above) he will trigger the bomb.
When a triggerman triggers a bomb he goes into a "surrendering" position and shouts: "Allahu Akbar!!". This gives anyone roughly around 1 second to shoot the motherf*cker down. If he dies before the touching the bomb off, the bomb will NOT explode but it will be still considered a potential threat and will require appropriate disposal from an engineer.
NOTE: if you want to make suicide bombers, just put "this" in both fields, so that the unit is both the triggerman and the bomb. e.g. nul0 = [this,this,0,30,30,WEST] execVM "scripts\IEDdetect\IEDdetect_triggerman.sqf";
4f) You can also create a trigger and let a script randomly decide to pick up a unit of a certain type and turn into a triggerman. To do so, create a trigger on, let's say, a town. Make it as large as you want to cover the entire town or just parts of it. Choose the side to activate it, let's say, BLUFOR, and make it PRESENT.
In the "On activation" field, type:Spoiler:
4g) You can also use what I called the "Ambient Bombers" script. To do so, write this in your init.sqf file:Spoiler:
4h) You can also use the "Ambient Proximity IEDs", which will randomly create Proximity-triggered IEDs on or next-to roads in the area surrounding the player. To do so, write this in your init.sqf file:Spoiler:This script works by attaching itself to group leaders of the enemy faction ONLY (WEST in the example). This means it will work as a sort of Ambient Combat Module (ACM), following group leaders and "making things happen around them". The script checks for civilian presence in a pre-determined "ambient radius" (200m in the example) around the player. If a minimum number of civilians (4 in the example) is found, it will try the % of presence (50 in the example) for a triggerman to be among them. If positive, it will turn one of the civilians into a triggerman and decide whether it is a suicide bomber or a remote-detonator. In case it is the latter, it will scan for a specific object class ("car" in the example) in a pre-determined radius from the triggerman (55 in the example) and attach a bomb to it. After that the triggerman will behave just like illustrated in the previous paragraph. The script pauses itself for the interval specified by the user (10 in the example) if the player stays around the same area or around the same triggerman. The script attaches itself to new leaders in case a group leader changes. This script works well with ALICE-created and user-created civilians. It also moves with the player so it is very easy to use and is totally automated.
Ambient Proxymity IEDs are removed automatically if the player moves too far from the IED area (this saves resources and avoids the "seeding" of an ever-increasing number of IEDs).
4i) You can also scatter proximity IEDs around a specific area. This can be useful for one-time creation of random proximity IEDs without having to use the Ambient IEDs feature. To do so, write this in your init.sqf file, into a trigger or wherever you find it suitable to your needs:
Procedures and functions:
- Tested and working. I try my best to continue improving it so further tweaking/optimizations/bug fixes are possible
- There is a chance Fake IED detection does not work. If you encounter problems, change the percentage to 00 and it will be disabled.
- Detector tool as an actual object you can pick up and put in your inventory
- ADDED: EOD units now respawn with full detection capabilities
- ADDED: Proximity IED Scatter Script
- FIXED: Detection not working when EOD units get in a detector Vehicle
- FIXED: Beeping IEDs not working in MP
- IMPROVED: Cross-script global arrays handling
- CHANGED: Nomad dialog images slightly reduced and moved back to the bottom-right of the screen
Demonized - global array functionality, better marker generation
VIPER[CWW], Nielsen, Kremator, SpectreRSG - bug reports and feedback
VanhA-ICON - attach/detach IEDs idea
VIPER[CWW] - 'Allah Akbar' sound sample
SR5 Tactical - my men, always "one move ahead, all fears behind"
I don't want to say this is a masterpiece, but I know for sure I have put a lot of time and efforts in this scripts suite. If you want to make changes I would please ask you to contact me for my permission. I would also love to have more people work on this same thing rather than having 20 people working on the same thing with different names. I am open to critics and teamwork, we can make an entire EOD mod if you want, I will try my best to make my skills match my enthusiasm.
Nothing I can really "claim" or track you down with..so please don't just be an assh*le and if you do any change to this script or implement it in your missions or scenarios..please add some kind of credit line to this work. It would be kind
How to pay me back:
- Anything really expensive will do
Mirroring and downloads:
Please do not mirror this file. Use the following link to get the latest, better, shiny, original version:
For feedback, email me at info(at)sr5tactical.net or shout your thoughts here.
Enjoy and have fun, see you on the battlefield,