Sign in to follow this  
(AEF)Swordsman

Visitor 3 / Buldozer Error: "Landscape dimensions 0x0 not power of 2"

As the title says, I'm trying to load buldozer from V3, and getting the error "Landscape dimensions 0x0 not power of 2." I've been following this tutorial on Armaholic (http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=1576) and it assumes you won't have an issue with loading buldozer.

I had a quick look through the forums here and seen a few mentions of landscape dimensions but couldn't see anything that could help me out (as far as I know/understood it anyway).

I understand what the error is saying, what I don't know - being new to map making - is how to correct it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated - apologies if this has been covered and I've missed it. Also, I hope this is in the right section.

Yes, it's the right section.

It seems your map size is not set in some way. (this is the first time i see this error)

Can you paste here the <yourisland>.pbl file contains and a screenshot of your island project parameters?

Copied and pasted what was in the tutorial:

class cfg

{

PNGfilename="terrain.png";

squareSize=20.000000;

originX=0;

originY=0;

minHeight=-07.420013;

maxHeight=876.810001;

};

settings1.jpg

Edited by (AEF)Swordsman

I have one suggestion that may help you follow another path.

You may want to follow the great tutorial provided ZeroG: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=109978 and even if you dont plan using a real life heightmap, to use a XYZ heightfield format to avoid having to fill in a terrain.pbl

Other than that, I might recommend you to try changing the SquareSize to a number multiple of your terrain gridsize. For example 25.600 instead of 20.000

ARE your landscape dimensions a power of 2? (ie: 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, etc etc)

I know its an awful obvious one but have you checked your heightfield image to make sure it really IS 256x256?

Quite a lot of the time its the obvious stuff that causes people grief...

On a more general note, Opteryx's (god bless 'im) tutorial is a little out of date now and was really a "tail end of Arma 1" tutorial... Kegetys .paa plugin for example, is known to be dodgy for Arma 2 use...

Like stormridersp says - ZeroG's tutorial is a lot more comprehensive, detailed and relevant to Arma 2/Arrowhead..... however... it's also a full-blown project-level tutorial - straight in there with the GIS software you'll probably only have 15 days to learn and do everything you want with.... best to be fully planned and ready to generate the stuff you need without messing about learning when you get to that stage...

When you decide on a proper project to tackle you'll probably want to read ZeroG's tut closely - very closely if you decide on a "realworld" terrain based on satellite data...

However - just to start with, to get thru the whole basic process from heightfield image to running around on it in-game, you might want to have a go at Sgt Aces Tutorial in the sticky at the top of this forum section...

This IS an Arma 2-era tutorial, absolutely guaranteed 100% working if you follow the steps thru... it'll take you a couple of hours at the most...

Notice the pages and pages of subsequent discussion in the same thread - worth reading too - if you hit a snag its likely someone else hit the same one and it's been discussed and sorted already...

If you're serious about giving terrain making a go, (don't be too serious - remember... this is fun!:rolleyes:) then I'd heavily recommend Sgt Aces tutorial - followed by ZeroG's... bearing in mind that ZeroG's tut covers "realworld" terrains, whereas some of the most successful are actually purely "imaginary" (eg: Icebreakrs stuff)...

By the time you've done Sgt Aces tut you'll have a working demo terrain under your belt... at that stage you can start to decide on a full blown project, and follow further appropriate advice/tutorials depending on what you decide to make...

This is definitely the right Forum section to be asking questions in... any problems, search this whole section - then ask if you're still stuck... someone will answer...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thanks for the links. Had a go at SgtAces tutorial but binpbo doesn't seem to want to create a pbo (no error, just nothing turns up) - will have to spend some time crawling over the forum topic to see if anyone else had the same issue. I had a go at ZeroG's when it first came out, however the program he suggested to use kept asking me for money before it would export anything :(

As for the image size (original post), it all matches, so I've got no idea what's causing it.

Are you using P drive for ALL references in the tools, including BinPBO.

All BIS tools only work properly with P drive.