Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ArmA II Editor Manual - RELEASED

ArmA II Editor Manual - RELEASED

ARMA 2 Editor Manual

UPDATED TO NEW VERSION, CHANGELOG BELOW

Here peeps, I know a lot of people (including me) started out from scratch with the Editor.
    I also know it's a huge pain to google every single bit about the Editor that isn't logical.
    And it's more of a pain to go through all kinds of forum threads and wikis before you finally find your answer.

So i present
    the answer itself

The ArmA II Editor Manual - Mustknow Guide for ArmA II Editing

The guide from the simple to more complex features of the ArmA II Editor.
    It contains large (by large I mean shot on a 1080p res) screenshots, coding for dummies and all external links and tutorials to get you started creating fair enough ArmA II missions.

(doesn't contain all answers, but 45 pages isn't bad, is it?)

Anyway, here is the download link
    http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13109

Changelog

- Added links into PDF file
    - Changed annoying yellow/white colors to blue/black colors
    - Other minor edits

I will provide the actual Word file on the Armaholic webpage (unfortunately I do not have the time to support the manual anymore) so the community is free to edit, update and translate it as they wish, as long as I'm credited for the original file. Thank you for the support.
    Last edited by AFOF_Murdock; Apr 21 2011 at 11:13.

Wow! Thanks for the effort.

It's looking really nice and detailed. I'm sure it will be of help to new mission makers. (and maybe some old ones as well)

Kind Regards
    Melvin

Private
    Author of the Thread
    For those who don't think downloading the manual is worth it because they don't think they'll find what they need, here's a list of the most distinguished advanced features:

- HALO jumps
    - CAS and Artillery
    - Cutscene creation
    - etc.
    Call me a jerk if you want, but it takes money to get what you want.

___
    The guy who said this is a genius

ill download it surely when i come home ^^

Will download and check it out

I believe Mr Murray is soon releasing his Updated Mr Murrays Editing Guide Deluxe wich is pretty much the basic bible of arma and arma2 mission making.

You might want to talk to him about cooperating or sumthing..
    My scripts:
    Spoiler:

what to do when posting any kind of code dammit!!

Any new mission editor or scripter in Arma2 should have read Mr Murrays Editing Guide Deluxe at least once, it still applies for A2 even though it was made for Armed Assault.

Private
    Author of the Thread
    i know. didnt think about it really.

Some random comments:

You need to fade out your background, black text gets lost against background frequently and white/yellow text is impossible to read over the lighter areas. Fade the background and put colored text on a darker, more solid background or callout.

Crop down your images so that only the important parts are visible letting you have more "zoomed in" pictures. Many of the examples are so small as to not be able to read any text or easily see the differences since they are all full screen images (with a lot of space not needed) and compressed and shrunk down too small to be useful. You have to zoom in to 300% for the text in pictures to be clear.

Your briefing section doesn't actually tell people how to add briefings, instead it tells how to use a 3rd party program? Why entirely leave out such an important section?

Not including a classlist due to "space" is a really odd decision.

Making the TOC be links would increase usefulness of the PDF as well. The bookmark section is nice though. Page numbers are 1 off from the PDF pages however.

Printing isn't bad, except for the black text on background issues and many pages with negative space at the bottom.

Also wouldn't have used addon maps, like the Vietnam one, for examples. It only leads to confusion and "I can't get this to work" type situations. Instructions should be as default as possible.

Might be nice to include a "companion" file with this with all of your examples so people can see in the editor how it should be.

Thank You!

Exactly what I was looking for, as I've just recently picked up the game, and have spent most of it in the mission editor. I definitely look forward to future editions!

Great to see it released in BIS forum. Hope to see future improvements in the manual. Thanks again

Private
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    Some random comments:

You need to fade out your background, black text gets lost against background frequently and white/yellow text is impossible to read over the lighter areas. Fade the background and put colored text on a darker, more solid background or callout.

Crop down your images so that only the important parts are visible letting you have more "zoomed in" pictures. Many of the examples are so small as to not be able to read any text or easily see the differences since they are all full screen images (with a lot of space not needed) and compressed and shrunk down too small to be useful. You have to zoom in to 300% for the text in pictures to be clear.

Your briefing section doesn't actually tell people how to add briefings, instead it tells how to use a 3rd party program? Why entirely leave out such an important section?

Not including a classlist due to "space" is a really odd decision.

Making the TOC be links would increase usefulness of the PDF as well. The bookmark section is nice though. Page numbers are 1 off from the PDF pages however.

Printing isn't bad, except for the black text on background issues and many pages with negative space at the bottom.

Also wouldn't have used addon maps, like the Vietnam one, for examples. It only leads to confusion and "I can't get this to work" type situations. Instructions should be as default as possible.

Might be nice to include a "companion" file with this with all of your examples so people can see in the editor how it should be.
    Firstly, I've changed the white/yellow text, I just have to update the file. That's fixed.

Second, if you zoom into the images they are easily readable because they are 1080p images. Simply use Ctrl+Mousewheel

About the briefing section, there's everything you need to know. It tells you where to place the files and how to create them. I dont know what to tell you. The third party program is there because it makes it much easier than writing codes. It says there you simply have to save the briefing file in the mission folder and it says how to create the init file to show the briefing at the mission begining.

Yeah, the classlists really aren't there due to "space" but because I didn't have the nerves to put them in the manual. Yet.

Yes, I thought about adding the links. I actually hoped MS Word would transfer the hyperlinks into a PDF when I select "Save as .pdf...". Turns out it didn't. I'll include that in the updated version.

I really didn't notice any problems with black text on background, but if you say "printing" and you literarilly mean printing it on a piece of paper, I gotta tell you the manual was optimized for PC usage and for Adobe Reader/Acrobat to be honest.

I've used a couple of addon maps, but I've added a note at the begining that the screenshots were taken of a modded version of ArmA II: Combined Ops, but that the principles remain the same. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get it to work just because it's another map.

I never thought about the companion file. I might publish it, but separately from the manual. Still just an idea, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast