Sign in to follow this  
Cyteless

Render Texture

Do you think Render Texture should be implemented?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Render Texture should be implemented?

• Sure, why not.
    • Nah, I'm okay.

Hello, mentlegen. I think Render Texture would be a great technology to implement into the Arma 2 version of the RV2 engine. We do have evidence that this is possible, as the latest VBS2 patch included it and applied it to multiple areas.

Uses for RT technology:

-Magnified optics -- View distant targets through your ACOG or other magnifying optic while retaining awareness to your surroundings (simulating both open eyes), thus reducing tunnel vision. This is especially valuable to a frontline infantryman who often has to work in a 3D environment such as towns and cities.

-Vehicle mirrors -- Assists in keeping vehicle columns in formation. Pilots can view mirrors in their cockpit to locate threats that may be tailing them.

-Visual Display Units -- Usage of helicopter gunner sights, such as the MFDs in the Apache. This allows pilots to assess engagements alongside their gunners, as opposed to the current situation where gunners must relay target information to the pilot.

Large displays could output images from a UAV, allowing players to assess images and form a plan of attack as a collective group.

Interactive screens could allow players to monitor their team mates' actions from inputting information.

For example, in an artillery targeting computer, one player is inputting target co-ordinates and other values. The second player can then look over this as it is typed in, pointing out any errors, allowing the discussion to change where appropriate.

Another example could a bomb disposal robot, with one player inputting controls, while the other watches the screen to keep an eye out for obstacles that may hinder the device.

Any more ideas for RT usage I'll whack them up here, be they general functions like the vehicles mirrors, or examples like the bomb disposal robot screen.

I personally think RT is an extremely useful feature to any game, and since VBS2 has implemented it, it certainly means it is not impossible.

If the past has taught us anything you would understand that future implementations will arrive.

no offense, but where do you people come from?

1. this has been covered so many times before (and i am certain that BIS is already aware of it). You could use the SEARCH function of those forums too see for yourself

2. why make a poll when the answer is so obvious: everyone would want it, since there is no downside to it. The question, the thread and the poll is just useless...

FPDR

^ Someone certainly rolled out of the wrong side of the bed.

1. Having searched, I didn't find a topic regarding this

2. There most certainly can be discussion and a poll, regarding performance hits from using multiple renders, and traffic between clients and servers caused by the enemy being rendered from the server to the clients' sights.

^ Someone certainly rolled out of the wrong side of the bed.

:P got me there

1. Having searched, I didn't find a topic regarding this

HERE are a lots of post about it, in different threads around those forums

HERE you can find the feature request on CIT (almost 1 year old)

2. There most certainly can be discussion and a poll, regarding performance hits from using multiple renders, and traffic between clients and servers caused by the enemy being rendered from the server to the clients' sights.

Oh come on! No one thinks about such things until they are plagued with it (everyone wants real life graphics but on an engine able to pull that off on a celeron 1 CPU with a voodoo 16MB GFX).

Plus in your first post, you haven't written about any possible disadvantages. (not that i really think there could be any real ones if it was implemented)

If i was to take your listed disadvantages i would come to this conclusions:

a) performance hits from using multiple renders - hardly anything one would notice since the resolution displayed would be exactly the same.

b) traffic between clients and servers caused by the enemy being rendered from the server to the clients' sights - there would be none since the server is NEVER rendering anything at all (my clan server doesn't even has a GFX card - it uses some generic MB one).

See if you can find a real disadvantage

Edited by PuFu

This one feature alone is easily worth more than a bunch of hopped up security guards or weekend warriors and is something that I'd happily pay for in an expansion

We can only really hope, and unfortunately the track record isn't good on this sort of stuff

Doesn't hurt to bring ideas to the community ;)

Not at all, But to do this BIS would have to update every vehicle model in the game that has use of the render to texture feature or what ever use's this feature so that would require a new game. So maybe it will come into play in the future. Which yeah they could add it now for addon makers to add to there addons an what ever. This is just my thoughts to your suggestion. Doesnt mean much i know.

Not at all, But to do this BIS would have to update every vehicle model in the game that has use of the render to texture feature or what ever use's this feature so that would require a new game. So maybe it will come into play in the future. Which yeah they could add it now for addon makers to add to there addons an what ever. This is just my thoughts to your suggestion. Doesnt mean much i know.

'needing to do it for everything that came before' didn't stop them with TI, CQB sights, IR Lasers, flashlights

'needing to do it for everything that came before' didn't stop them with TI, CQB sights, IR Lasers, flashlights

Of course it didn't stop them. Its the new feature's that where developed for the OA expansion. right? That's why Im thinking RT isnt something that is going to be in game till another standalone expansion or new title.

Firstly RV2 can't be compared to RV3 engine.

To make RTT into ArmA 2 is not that simple as it is in VBS2.

Thanks for the explanation on the first page!

Now I finally know how to say this "effect" --> RTT

I would love this "effect" for weapon scopes, that make the whole game more realistic! I hate this fu.... black screen when i look through a ACOG.

That would be a sensational improvement!!!

come on BIS give us RTT ;)

Another idea would be that BIS allow RTT and then start a community mod competition (RTT wepaon Scops etc.). the best mod would then find their way into the main game.

Its only a idea ;)

Edited by bensdale

Come on BIS, we need working rear view mirrors. It's next to impossible to back up in ArmA in ANY vehicle without crashing into everyone and their mom.