Sign in to follow this  
whoarmongar

Arma2 Aircraft Damage

In Arma2 when an aircraft is hit it tends to just blow up. I feel that it would add to the game play if

instead of just being destroyed an aircraft could be severely damaged giving the pilot the option to

bale out or try to nurse the plane back to base (or at least back to friendly territory before bailing).

I think this would add to the gameplay and be rather exciting. I have long thought that Arma2 is the finest

helecopter sim made due to the scenery and also that Arma2 surpasses every flight sim ever made in one vital area.

In the traditional flight sim the game is over when you bale from your aircraft, in Arma2 its just a prelude

to another set of adventures. Avoiding capture or death, awaiting rescue and trying to get back to your base

can be a fun rewarding experience in its own right.

The way im thinking is this. Instead of the damage points overwhealming the aircraft could not some sort of

script be used in a vehicles init to set the damage to say 20% above destroyed with perhaps a random

probability timed countdown to totally destroyed so that it may blow up at any moment ?

Any further hits would have to destroy the plane. So im asking any of you scripters out there is this

feasable ?

I know this is just my personal "wish list" for the aircraft in Arma2 so while im on the subject i will

share some other "wishes".

It seems strange that after years of flying in Arma and Arma2 you still have no way of aiming

a "dumb" bomb. The Mando missile addon gives you a ccip bombsite piper and this is all that is needed.

Why oh why are the cannons selected on the menu ? I dont mind selecting other weapons on a menu but scrolling thru your

weapons trying to select cannons in a dogfight when you get a fleeting glimps of the enemy jet is so

unintuitive and very frustrating. Again in mando this is posible but mando is a huge major game changing addon.

The cannons should be on your joystick button and available always. Other weapons should be fired with another button.

Why does the radar lock up ground targets with AA weapons selected and airtargets with ground weapons selected

with your radar in "air mode"? Only airtargets should be lockable, and with the radar in ground mode

only ground targets should be lockable, oh and why while im on this subject are some ground targets unlockable

for example the ZSU A/A gun.

These are I guess all minor quibbles but sometimes i get the feeling the developers and modders

are so in love with there 3D models and scripting etc that they dont actually play the game, hence

the loveingly crafted 3D addons and endless reskins but we still dont have any OPFOr ships,boats or

proper fighters.

Good idea, if the aircraft suffers starboard/port wing damage or damage to the stabilizers, it should be harder to control. With the current model, it smokes a bit and then blows up.

I'm all up for extended damage to jets. Would be nice if my su-25 suffered engine damage/ Hydraulic problems/ control surface damage. The sidewinders vs jeep has allways beena a bit of a pisstake too.

Turn the guidance off on dumb bombs plz

very good idea. arma2 aircraft potential is amazing i hope BIS really capitalise on it.

We've said before in another thread that there should be a dlc that improves flight physics. Problem is that until the 102X102 maps start arriving there isn't really any terrain out there suitable for "proper" plane action.

I completely agree with some of the op, guns should be a seperate button not a menu item. On a stick the guns should be the trigger and "release" should be under the thumb... I think anyway. The damage model should be improved definately so that you can get a wing shot off or engine damage (also the a10 is far too lightly armoured, I'm pretty sure you can't make the pilot bleed by shooting the cockpit with smallarms). The AA weapons locking on to ground targets is a bit different. While I don't claim to be an expert on air weapons, the Sidewinder uses infra-red to lock onto heat sources and doesn't distinguish between airborne or ground based targets... Early models of the same missile even used to decide the sun was a valid target.

Imagine having to (through a damage control menu) individuallyshut off one of an A-10's engines, cut its fuel to prevent fire, disarm and jettison your external stores

and limp back home with fist size holes in your control surfaces and stuck landing gear. Awesome.

The question is can the TOH flight model be extended to planes? I know it can be extended to Transformers so who knows what you might get

Especially that in ArmA,you can land in natural runways ... which is not possible on another simulations .
At least not without a serious crash lading making the aircraft unoperational forever.

The lack of damage to engines, controls and fuel system, like featured with helos in ArmA makes flying planes just to safe udn in turn a bit "cheaty" if not to say "cheesy" in MP. The usuall "Su-34 eats two sidewinders and goes on with full capabilty and 1 point on the Health bar, problem.

I totally agree with first post... paying attention to those details would make a huge difference ingame