Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Object arrangement templating

Taken out of the "maps under construction" thread because it was OT.

I didn't really want to raise it as a separate thread because this could be a contentious issue with a few terrain makers (or other people?).

BUT because the number terrain makers in our community is small in general, I thought, unlike elsewhere on similar subjects, we might get a consensus.

Subject: "Copy-Paste" (not the best word) buliding layouts from other peoples terrains and using them to build your own terrain detail.

- Towns, forrests, industrial estates, roads(?), ports, forts, parks, airports etc etc

Why: Why would people do this?: Because placing objects on terrain can be the most time consuming and soul destroying, but nessisary part of making terrains.

Suggested Guidelines

- Any layouts copied from others should never be just straight copy-paste without a few tweaks.

- Exceptions to above may be special layouts like fortifications.

- It might be a bit like LEGO, but artistic flair should be applied, change it around to your way, make it your variation.

- Terrain makers who flat-out refuse anyone referencing their material need to state so here and/or in their README files.

- Others may wish to formally state they are happy with others copying their layouts. Give conditions to clarify if required.

- CREDIT should always be given, treat BIS no different.

- When in doubt ASK THE AUTHOR !

- Others may wish to contribute templates for others to use, this would obvious be very appreciated by us terrain makers. Thanks in advance.

.... and more notes based of people feedback in this thread.

This thread will not be used to target any person, including the guy who mentioned the idea. No doubt others already knew about this "productivity method", but didnt say anything.

On a personal note, this is great because I might now actually be able to finish my 42kmx42km "Sands" terrain with a few villages and towns etc. Without this method I'd probably never find the time. And I'm happy for anyone to copy my layouts (not that I have many) as this is truely trivial to me.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Great stuff Gnat. Absolutely agree on the guidelines.

Not that I have published my Iran map yet, but more than willing for people to use any object layouts as templates as and when I publish (with credit).

Similarly, would love to hear from anyone creating templates for use in these maps. I'm looking for SAM site, Radar Stations, highway stop, farms (small and large), bridges and any objects relating to the Iranian armed forces.

Keep up the good work!

Tup

This sounds good...

the thread should be sticky or at least added to the resourcelink. Maybe a detailed "how to" should be put here for the people who want to make use of that. Maybe i´ll be in need of that one day too.

thanks...:)

... the thread should be sticky or at least added to the resourcelink.

Yep, if people post stuff, I'll try to add or at least link from the first post.

Maybe a detailed "how to" should be put here for the people who want to make use of that.

Yeh, I didn't want to spell out the detail (again) too early and too easily, to avoid people who may just be using the tools (which they may not have known about) to rape and abuse resources etc.

I guess the number of such people would likely be limited, as what you get out of the tools and method is basically ..... more hard work ;)

@Tupolov,

Thanks.

Would there be an use for editor templates? If I understand it, world tools can import editor missions and place the objects into visitor, right? So if there was a resource collection of things like airfields, depots, factories, and the like, would this be a useful thing for island makers? I ask because I like using RTE and would love to make an island, but I'm in a deployed area where the internet's not great, so moving around the large chunks of needed data would be a huge chore.

Personally, I don't see an issue with copying objects, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, and from somebody in Iraq, you're going to be hard pressed to find a better city street than the ones in Zargabad or the Fallujah map.

editor templates are good.

The only thing to be carefully is the position where you place your template, since world tools import them in original places someone could have small maps where sqm coordinates are outside of boundaries.

a good thing could be creating a very small map, 1km x 1km, flat, where sqm builders could place their templates, to be sure the object will everytime will be placed in a existing map area.

By the way world tools actually support relative height placement >0 with updated import script and from SQM files.

If needed i can make it able to import relative height from SQF too.

a good thing could be creating a very small map, 1km x 1km, flat, where sqm builders could place their templates, to be sure the object will everytime will be placed in a existing map area.

Good idea. Similar to what I used to do in WrpTool. Until I was finished a map, the bottom corner of terrain would contain a couple dozen "sets". Whenever I wanted to make a new area (like a town) I'd pick (copy) various sets of objects and paste elsewhere on the terrain.

It was like a Object Palette.